Is This Normal Looking?

GoldenMotor.com

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
Is This Normal Looking?
All I did was pull it off and snap the picture. This is exactly how it was on the inside

and this one too, is it suppose to be this oily ring around the center?

Last edited:

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
looks a little extra oily and has a strange looking marks on the piston the two brown spots.
your head almost looks like its been taped by the piston (right side of the head) at the top of the stroke but hard to really tell as I don't see a corresponding marks on the piston at least I can't tell for sure looks strange on the lower right side of the piston at the 3:00 to 5:00 spot or it could be the top ring I'm seeing.
Why do you ask?

Norman

LORD VADER Moderator
Jan 16, 2008
pampa texas
4 strokes will go to **** as well as 2 strokes and 4 strokes have more parts to get it there. but I like both types.

MrLarkins

HS Math Teacher
Jun 17, 2008
Arkansas
not reusing gaskets...they are all new

intake is left, exhaust is right, top and bottom lead to some kinda vents in cylinder

fuel: 87 octane/1 gallon + 4 oz of Briggs 2 cycle

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Looks OK for the break in period, should be rich. Those spots on the piston are where the Scavenging ports are in line with, and as the blast of mixture comes out it washes the piston off. That should be a good spark plug NGK, and I like that heat range. Have fun, Dave

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Is your float too high or sticking? At 32:1 mixture you shouldn't have much carbon a low miles. Also, is this the engine that is shaking badly?

How was the carbon removed from the top of the piston?

Jemma Hawtrey

Dec 29, 2007
Essex, UK
Looks OK for the break in period, should be rich. Those spots on the piston are where the Scavenging ports are in line with, and as the blast of mixture comes out it washes the piston off. That should be a good spark plug NGK, and I like that heat range. Have fun, Dave
Not being picky or anything, but if those two brown bits are the port locations and those are the important things that make the motor go - why are they such different sizes? or am I missing something obvious?

It does look a little damp in there - mine when I shine a torch down it is pretty much dry as a bone inside - which is probably a little to do with the 50:1..

Jemma xx

Egor

Jan 30, 2008
Hurricane Utah
Jemma - I am using 50 also and it is dry. I notice the engine is a little noisier also, the parts are not as covered with oil. You are correct in your noticing that the wash spots are not the same, just a Chinese engine with a little man making up the sand molds, doing the best he can. No worry these engines are so crude there is nothing that matches. Just a little note. I am a member of the Ford model T club. We had a member that discovered that the original engines had no indexing of any parts, (IE) some pistons were up higher than others and the cam, well we need not talk about that. He fixed it and do you know what he got? A model T that sounded like a modern car, that was no fun. I think it gives these things a little character, besides one of my ears is a little lower. Have fun, Dave