Motored fatty

GoldenMotor.com

Agreen

Feb 10, 2013
Southeastern GA
I've seen it done 2 ways. You could use a jackshaft or fabricate some offset engine mounts. Either way, the width of the tire makes it hard to get the chain aligned right.

But it's only a 3" tire, so you may not have any issues.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
yea 3 inch would for should clear especially with a hub adapter - CNC sprocket from maniac mechanic... you can just slide it far left to clear the extra .75 inch... but maybe it wont... we wont know till someone is brave enough to gamble it all to find out. Good looking inexpensive bike though. Let us know if you pull the trigger on the build.

ZipTie

Jan 8, 2016
Mpls Mn
If you can get 1/16 inch clear of that rear tire you will be golden. A 41 chain will also be more forgiving of any slight chain angle. May the bike gods bless your journey into unknown territory on your build. Later

Dec 11, 2014
Tucson
It's been done by the other local builder. Customer was having a lot of grief and called me several times to drop it off so I could make it work. He never brought it in so either he got it working or have up. From the pics he sent it was just stock parts pushed all the way over. I have done a 3" rear tire with no jackshaft but I off set the motor about 6mm with different mount holes. Let us know if you try it and feel free to pm me if you get stuck.

BarryT

Dec 16, 2013
Corpus Christi, Texas
I too am looking at one of the Walmart "fat tire" but am looking at the 4" wide tire. I'm very worried that there may not be enough clearance for a strong, 2 stroke the way the top tube tapers. Looking to do a jack-shaft as well to take advantage of the 7 speed..(It's a Mongoose) 21" top bar, 24" bottom bar, and 11.5 rear bar.
Any body have experience with this one?

ultralight01

Oct 30, 2016
Hood River, Oregon
I too am looking at one of the Walmart "fat tire" but am looking at the 4" wide tire. I'm very worried that there may not be enough clearance for a strong, 2 stroke the way the top tube tapers. Looking to do a jack-shaft as well to take advantage of the 7 speed..(It's a Mongoose) 21" top bar, 24" bottom bar, and 11.5 rear bar.
Any body have experience with this one?
What about this one?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongo...Fat-Tire-Mountain-Bike-Navy-Blue-Red/29741123
Or was that the bike you were thinking of?
Anyway, a good number of people have motorized this bike and it holds up pretty well for a mongoose, plus, it comes with disc brakes!

This is a picture of one motorized that I think is exactly what you want, except without the 48cc, you want a 66cc don't you ;)
4c993dfc4367dcfd595c158cf10d7d2c.jpg
I'm actually considering making an electric one since the weather here gets so crazy, with ice, mud, rain... This would tackle it all

Cylon

Jun 26, 2015
Maine
What about this one?
https://www.walmart.com/ip/26-Mongo...Fat-Tire-Mountain-Bike-Navy-Blue-Red/29741123
Or was that the bike you were thinking of?
Anyway, a good number of people have motorized this bike and it holds up pretty well for a mongoose, plus, it comes with disc brakes!

This is a picture of one motorized that I think is exactly what you want, except without the 48cc, you want a 66cc don't you ;)
View attachment 84693
I'm actually considering making an electric one since the weather here gets so crazy, with ice, mud, rain... This would tackle it all
Why electric? Are you making it 2wd?

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
When the weather gets crazy around here, you will be miserable enough riding in pouring rain when it's 35 degrees outside that you'll wish you'd stayed home from whatever you were riding to.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
My advise as an experienced china girl builder, forget gas, the time to go electric is now.

Kioshk

Oct 21, 2012
Connecticut
My advise as an experienced china girl builder, forget gas, the time to go electric is now.

I'm with Biknut...I finally grabbed my balls and dove in. It was a pretty big investment, but it's really paying off in many unexpected ways. I'm getting plenty of needed exercise, I can access areas heretofore inaccessible (both legally and physically), and it's much more reliable and fun to ride. I still love my gasbike though...but she's not my main squeeze anymore.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
I'm with Biknut...I finally grabbed my balls and dove in. It was a pretty big investment, but it's really paying off in many unexpected ways. I'm getting plenty of needed exercise, I can access areas heretofore inaccessible (both legally and physically), and it's much more reliable and fun to ride. I still love my gasbike though...but she's not my main squeeze anymore.

Access to city bike trails, reliability, not having to buy gas or 2 stroke oil, and riding in virtual silence are the biggies, but reliability above all. When I'm out riding 15 or 20 miles from home the only kind I mechanical failure I worry about is a flat tire.

In 13,000 eBike riding miles, other than a flat tire, I've never suffered one single failure that stranded me.