Out of the shed and back on the road

GoldenMotor.com

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
My bars didn't have enough straight area at each end for levers and grips, so I made some 2'' extensions from some 7/8'' aluminum round stock I had lying around. Turned down to 3/4'' or so and drove them in with a nylon hammer.

Now there's plenty of room for grips, levers, mirror and controls.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
So I went to install my speedo drive and discovered it lines up right where my fender brace attaches to the front wheel.

So I designed a bracket to go around the drive and hogged it out of a piece of stainless I had lying around.

Then I had to mark where to cut and flatten the fender brace.

After that, I dug out a tool I made a long time ago that was intended to form the ends of Schwinn springer struts.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Put it in the vice and it did the trick.

Got out my Whitney punch and put a 1/4'' hole in the end to line up with the one in the bracket.

Re-installed the brace and it fits pretty good.

Gbrebes

Jul 16, 2010
Los angeles
That was an absolutely wonderful tutorial on how to custom fit parts through the use of ingenuity and fabrication. To me this is what sets apart everyday builders from master builders. Instead of saying, "Oh, this doesn't fit, I guess I'll use some other speedo", you studied the problem, envisioned a solution, and then hand crafted it from a chunk of metal.

Very impressive msrfan, but after reading a lot of your posts, and seeing your work in person, I expect no less. You are a craftsman.

That Whitney punch is super cool. I want to get one! Is Whitney a brand name, or is that the actual name of that particular tool?

Thanks,

Gilbert

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
Thanks Gilbert, I figure if I keep pluggin' away, I'll get 'er done eventually. The Whitney punch is a #5 Junior. Ebay usually has some for sale. I have several kits and payed around $35 for each. They still offer it today but it's in a plastic box. Very handy tool, it gets a lot of use.
It pays to keep your old home made tools around also. Never know what it can be used for.
Going to start working on the motor tomorrow. Should make good progress.

msrfan

Sep 17, 2010
Southern California
I'm staying with the more original carb, even though the Mikuni has bettter transition circuits, I like the old look.

The cyclinder has the large valves and intake port.

So I'm using the Carter with the larger venturi.

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Yep that the beauty of them old carbs as long as they are the right size they are all adjustable, and work good on almost any thing. ..............Curt

curtisfox

Dec 29, 2008
minesota
Love the cable mount in between the carb and engine. Be much more solid that way,and the old brass bowel carb is it a carter? Really looking good...........Curt

mason_man

Jul 19, 2009
LA SoCal
Dale, bike is looking real good, But.....where is the Derlicts Donut Plaque?????

I mean Donut Derlicts Plaque.

Ray

Last edited: