New here.

GoldenMotor.com

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i have been thinking of doing just that with my bike james. let me know if you do it and how it works. watch out when you take the derailleur of that spring has a lot more tension in it then you think

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
The derailleur is off. Unfortunately, I got a little upset while I was taking off the chain and it is unusable. I now have a 0 speed bike that once I push up to speed and pop the clutch can use the motor, which is running like a dream. At least I got the motor running good before I had to do this, the bike would have been useless if I had the same starting problem. I'm gonna head up to K-Mart to see how much a chain is. Be back in a bit.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I never understood why anyone wanted to buya mt bike to put a motor on. If you had one already I can understand, but some people buy one expecting to change the gears I guess. Truth is you will most likely never do more than start the bike or pedal up a really nasty hill otherwise they are just more things to go wrong. In my opinion of course/.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I got a chain put on and it rides around nice. I ditched the derailleur and just have it as a 1 speed. Unfortunately, the engine quit on me earlier. I was cruisin around about 20MPH and the engine just quit and wouldn't restart. The petcock was open so I know it was getting gas. I'm thinkin it has something to do with the clutch. It doesn't seem to grab as good as it did. I haven't had a chance to get in there and ckeck it out. I'm gonna go take off the clutch cover and see what I can do.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I took off the clutch cover adn tightened the star nut some more. Just a little, andit started grabbing better, but there was some black fluffy powder in the cover. Not sure what to do next. Haven't tried to start it again though.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I was just reading the Bicycle Engine Clutch thread bu Norman and I think I know what my problem is. Anyone know where I can get a wood ruff key? I saw it in the box when I got the engine, had no idea what it was for, and I have no idea where I put it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Local auto parts store should be able to help you. But I find a better selection of stuff like that at ACE hardware. I'm sorry but I have no ideal what size it would be, anybody?

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I can't believe the instructions that came with the kit said nothing about it. Is my clutch gonna be ruined by this, or once I get somethin in there do you guys think it will be all right?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
I did not have to install a woodruff key. My kit came complete, all I did was mount it on the bike. I have two brand new kit's still in the box, there's no woodruff key lose. I dont think there is any damage, you may have to back that nut out a bit. How much black powder is there??
I just pulled my cover a few weeks ago for the first time. I have just over 3,000 miles on it and there was very little powder. I hope you did not eat your clutch up.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
There was about a tablespoon full of the powder. And it smelled wierd. I have about 300 miles on mine I think. I think I will have to pull the star nut out a lot. I've turned it about 4 maybe 5 full rotations to tighten it up to where the clutch will grab.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
That's 'cause you were trying to start it before with it slipping....hat's also why there is all that dust behind the cover. Clean it and the clutch disc with some brake cleaner and you should be fine.

The clutch didn't make it quit cold dead though....I'm saying something else is the cause, let us know what you find.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I checked everything out today. The carb and the fuel line were clean as could be, the plug is firing, and the clutch is grabbing very well. But it still won't fire up. Can you tighten the clutch too much? I got pictures of a few things and are downloading them now. I'll just post them with a title of what's there, and you guys can comment as necessary if something doesn't look right cause I don't really know any better and everything looks all right to me.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
Motor siezed. Something got caught in between the piston and cylinder wall. Kinda looked like bearing needles but haven't been able to get the piston out of the thing. It's jammed freakin tight. This sucks.

James Sparks

Mar 21, 2008
Norhtern Ky
I think I'm giving up on the motored bike thing for now. I have still been looking in to other mods though. I have been looking at much higher quality bikes. And I think I'm going to go electric hub on this one. I don't want to put one of those dirty motors on a nice bike.

[email protected]

May 14, 2008
Does anyone have the info on how to adjust the clutch on them there 80cc 2 stroke chinese motors? I lost my info,
Thanks,
T

paul

Dec 23, 2007
Kalamazoo, MI
i started a new thread for you. give me a few and i will find a link to clutch adjustment and post it thier. title to thread is new here from nj