spark plug wire

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Re: Need a Spark Plug Wire. Any Recommendations?

Funny you should mention spark plug wires. I've been searching for a good old copper conductor type of wire and discovered that it is hard to find these days. Every auto parts store I went to only carries resistance wire. I even tried a shop that deals in nothing but drag race and race car parts and they said they have not carried copper core wire for years. The reasons are obvious. The RF generated from the high voltage leads of an engine (spark plug wires) can cause interference with sensitive electronics such as the computers in today's cars, even race cars. The resistance wire, sometimes refered to as TVRS wire eliminates the RF signals and the old copper core wires didn't. The newer wire does not have a metal conductor but instead has a carbon impregnated nylon or cotton thread that carries the current. Its resistance is surprisingly high. I finally found some at a lawnmower shop but the automotive suppliers could not provide copper core ignition wire. The China 2stroke motors that most of us use has a relatively weak ignition system and the high resistance plug wire is not the best choice for them. Check your local lawnmower/motorcycle shops for copper/metal core wire when looking for a replacement. Incidently, you will read a lot here from guys telling you to replace the kit supplied plug wire. Every kit I've looked at comes with metal conductor cored wire. Granted, the spark plug boot and the method that it uses to hold the wire to the plug is not the best but the wire is better than what you'll find at the local NAPA store for your engine. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

StrontiumEthics

Aug 6, 2008
Brooklyn, NYC

I was thinking I would give Autozone a buzz? Do they have any good spark plug wires? I am running a speedo so what should I look for?

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada

I've been searching for a good old copper conductor type of wire and discovered that it is hard to find these days. Every auto parts store I went to only carries resistance wire. I even tried a shop that deals in nothing but drag race and race car parts and they said they have not carried copper core wire for years.
That's pretty much what I found too that the auto parts places stock mainly the resistance wire. I went to the motorcycle shop earlier today though to get a part for my son's dirt bike and asked what they had for spark plug wire...they had the copper core stuff...I bought 2 feet @ $1.95 a foot :) The parts counter person said that most dirt bikes, ATV and snowmobiles still use the copper core wire.

oylavabeer

Jan 9, 2009
Perth Australia

That's pretty much what I found too that the auto parts places stock mainly the resistance wire. I went to the motorcycle shop earlier today though to get a part for my son's dirt bike and asked what they had for spark plug wire...they had the copper core stuff...I bought 2 feet @ $1.95 a foot :) The parts counter person said that most dirt bikes, ATV and snowmobiles still use the copper core wire.
Motorcycle shops are the way to go they will also have the thingy that clips on to the spark plug .rd.

Rockenstein

Feb 8, 2009
Ontario, Canada
Thought I'd share what I did with some of the 2' of plug wire I got yesterday...

I relocated the CDI to the underside of the engine so as to get it out of the profile eye shot for now and as well when I finally get some bodywork on this thing (waiting for the Lexan to arrive) I wanted to do what I could to make sure that nothing was obstructing the airflow to the cylinder and head. You might notice I got the cranks and side cover off...thought I'd install the centrifugal clutch setup today too :)

Cheers...

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I am using a mega car amplifier cable been on there for 7000 plus miles. Screwed it into the cdi with dielectric grease soldered the other side. Never had a prob of any kind. I must be lucky my speedometer works fine. One can make a shield over their speedo wires by carefully wrapping foil , then taping it. Last ground that to the frame or so I herd. Never tried it. I got a direct hit from Outperformance Shop - Pulstar DirectHits S100 S-100 50mm Universal Automotive.

Attachments

robert0508

Apr 28, 2009
kerrville
i work at oreillys and when looking for parts for a cust. i found bulk 7mm metalic core wire and boots and even ends ask the counter guy (if he has half a brain) he can get the following in within a day or 2 by the way tell the guy that these part numbers are borg warner(bwd) he should know what that means

wire- mw11-$0.59 ft
clip- ct518-$0.49 ea
boot- ct561-$1.29 ea
a silicone one sells for about a dollar more but forgot pt# happy hunting:-|| .bf.