The Flying Pigeon

GoldenMotor.com

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
After some very careful cleaning I have managed to uncover the manufacturer of the lights... Lucifer Baby , same as dynamo...
I'm going to try black lighting the badge to see if it will illuminate the lettering better.
Will keep you posted.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Started the dismantling process this morning. Hoping to find some manufacturers marks on the components.
Here is what I have so far:
The crank set is a very nice Cosmos.
The front brake pads are Fibrax 258's Made in England ( the rears have no markings.)
No stuck or missing bolts so far......
I'm thinking that rather than clogging up General Discussions with a build I might start a build thread.
I'm not sure if this is even the correct web sight for this thing as I don't think it is a good candidate for an engine kit.
What do the members / moderators think? I will abide by your decision....

Last edited:

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Originally Posted by boxcar
I started the dismantling and cleaning process this morning and low and behold the bike is running a very nice Cosmos crank set. As Cosmos is and was a Swiss company and built bikes in that era do you think that there components were used on other brands or could this bike just be a re- branded Cosmos?
The plot thickens.......
It's definitely a Cosmos as I did some further checking and the name of the company was known as Cosmos B. Schild & Co. The legible letters on the headbadge decal are B.SC..... which I guess proves it. I found a picture of a 1938 Cosmos and the head badge isn't very clear, but I could pick out the image of the world with a winged wheel on top. The pedals on this bike were the same as yours by the way.
I did find a picture of an old enamel head badge with the world with winged wheel on top image, but the wording on the badge was 'BIEL' which had me confused until I discovered that Biel is the name of the Swiss town where the Cosmos factory is.
I also found a picture of a chap in a bicycle shop repairing an old Cosmos bicycle and the mudguards were the same as the ones on your bike.

Sooooo I think we can put the case to rest; - it's a prewar Cosmos

Eric2.0

Sep 22, 2010
NY
It's definitely a Cosmos as I did some further checking and the name of the company was known as Cosmos B. Schild & Co. The legible letters on the headbadge decal are B.SC..... which I guess proves it. I found a picture of a 1938 Cosmos and the head badge isn't very clear, but I could pick out the image of the world with a winged wheel on top. The pedals on this bike were the same as yours by the way.
I did find a picture of an old enamel head badge with the world with winged wheel on top image, but the wording on the badge was 'BIEL' which had me confused until I discovered that Biel is the name of the Swiss town where the Cosmos factory is.
I also found a picture of a chap in a bicycle shop repairing an old Cosmos bicycle and the mudguards were the same as the ones on your bike.

Sooooo I think we can put the case to rest; - it's a prewar Cosmos
The question is, how much is it worth? It seems to me being a complete bike and decent shape it ought to bring a few $$$ being that old.

Ask the guy from American Pickers....he's a old bike fanatic....saw him pay 20,000 for a beat up first edition Shwinn.

Intrepid Wheelwoman

Oct 29, 2011
Hauraki District, New Zealand
Cosmos was one of the contractors that made the Swiss Army bikes along with Condor and other makers. They are a really good bike to own if you can find one. Someone was selling them here in NZ for a while, but they were seriously expensive and well outside what I could afford.

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
Well now that I know what it is I have email'd Cosmos the #'s .
Let's see if there record keeping department is reel sharp.
As I am a restorer of old things by profession , I have decided to do a full restoration on this bike. ( I just have to )
The bike was blacked out ( I'm sure now for the war ) but was originally dressed out with nickle and chrome in several key places.
I'll be restoring it to pre war form.
So far the only parts that I will need are the rear rack / kickstand / grips / and a Lucifer #5 taillight lens....
I cleaned enough of the black out paint from the frame to see the original striping pattern and colors.
The bike was Gloss black with pale blue and white striping. Lots of striping....
Looks like I will be digging out the old pin stripe brush.......
Hey thanks for all the help on this one guys and galls..........

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I don't know what that old bike is, but I know the name belongs to a Chinese bike manufacturer, I built some Flying Pigeon electric trikes, which were essence a 2 wheel wheel bike frame with a bolt on a dual wheel back end with a 6-speed derailleur.

Just a thought for tracking lineage.
All I know is when I finally got through to them about some special mods to the frame they flaked out and I quit building trikes.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Boxcar,
Feel free to keep this thread going right where it's at. Many are following it and it would be a shame to not hear the final outcome. I've certainly been following and looking forward to your progress.

I think a frame-off restoration is warranted. That bike deserves it and my guess is you'll be able to pull it off. It doesn't have to be motorized to be interesting.
Keep it going, sir. We're watching.

Tom

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
Yup, that's an excellent bike and they just don't build them like that anymore.

Brazed & lugged frame, big ole fatty mudguards, and a chain case.

You rock baby!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Boxcar,
Feel free to keep this thread going right where it's at. Many are following it and it would be a shame to not hear the final outcome. I've certainly been following and looking forward to your progress.

I think a frame-off restoration is warranted. That bike deserves it and my guess is you'll be able to pull it off. It doesn't have to be motorized to be interesting.
Keep it going, sir. We're watching.

Tom
Im with you on this 100% Tom,

That is a rare and unique bike and that will be some beautiful eye candy when its restored back to what it was meant to be.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Fully Agreed... even if it isn't what you originally thought it was, it's still a very nice piece to restore from the frame up... very Nice Ride for sure..

boxcar

Dec 18, 2014
Astoria OR
I found a decal maker in England that will make the badges for £75 to £100
Fair price I guess for a set of decals that he will probably never get another request for.
I had to send an enhanced pic.
I thought I'd share it with you....