Where can I get a new sprocket?

GoldenMotor.com

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
I know that many of you guys have smaller sprockets for higher speeds. Where can I get one? The stock sprocket that came with my kit makes me cruise comfortably at about 20mph, and I'd like to make that 30mph. I don't want to be revving so high that I go deaf at 30mph!

Can Harm Hen

Mar 1, 2008
Davis, California
I got a Livefast 40t to replace the stock one on my BoyGoFast kit, and they're the bee's knees! It has just enough speed to get me to a comfortable cruising speed, where the stock 50t would have the engine revving worrisomely. I don't think it quite gets to thirty, but it's fast enough that I don't go WOT all the time. I got it from their ebay store, where it is bundled with a new chain and U-style motor mounting bracket, which will be handy for spare parts, say if I lose a masterlink, all for $28 shipped. A single 36t cost more than that! It's good deal, I'd say.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I have a question about that front chain ring as a sprocket. First of all does the sprocket inside the engine work with a bike chain, as well as the 415.... Then where does one get the fiber gaskets for the sprocket. And the curved plates for the back side of the sprocket. In other words the mounting kit less the sprocket.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have a question about that front chain ring as a sprocket. First of all does the sprocket inside the engine work with a bike chain, as well as the 415.... Then where does one get the fiber gaskets for the sprocket. And the curved plates for the back side of the sprocket. In other words the mounting kit less the sprocket.

You can slim the teeth down, or get a sprocket for the countershaft from dax.

If you already have the 44T on your bike, that's where the mounting rubbers/ect come from. Use the old sprocket to make a drilling pattern.

Almost free!

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Im getting ready to do a second bike this spring. I thought I might go with a good stainless bike chain for a drive and use a chain ring for the rear sprocket... Just to be different.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
What size sprocket do I need to comfortably cruise at 30mph? And how fast would I have to get going in order to release the clutch with such a sprocket? And would such a sprocket still let me get up a steep hill with ease? (I've got an 80cc)

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
A steady cruise of 30 mph would require a 32-36T, since a 44T is capable of 30, but it's wound up pretty good.

You would not be able to "go up steep hills with ease" with that gearing however.

Starting would be almost the same speed as your current gearing.

Last edited:

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Would a 36t take me up steep hills period? Or would I have to start peddling?
You would have to pedal. I run a 36T and here in Florida there aren't many hills in my area. If I have some speed going into a slight incline it is not too bad. The idea (rule) of the sprocket size ....less teeth=more speed.....more teeth=more tourque. On my mountain bike set-up I can achieve 30mph with a 40T sprocket. Weight is also a factor. My "S T R E T C H" is a lot heavier than my mountain bike.

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
My bike with the 20" rear wheel and the kit sprocket will climb any hill in my town and my town is called HIGH POINT for a reason.

It isn't the rocky mountains but its hard to find a level road for more than a hundred yards at a time. Some of the inclines are pretty steep. I have had to pedal only a couple of time when I started out at the bottom of the hill. with even a small running start it goes up the hill but I have a very slow cruising speed. Probably twenty miles an hour or less. I think I'll buy a speedometer so I will know for sure what it does.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yea I've got the stock 44t and it does really great on hills. Here in West Seattle there are very steep hills, and the bike went up all of them. My cruising speed is 20mph though, and I'm looking to commute 20 miles/day or maybe more so I'd like to go faster.

I wish I had this bike when I had my paper route when I was 10. My route had such crazy-steep hills that it seemed like I should have carried an ice-pick. I busted my ass climbing with my loaded bag of newspapers up and down steep hills for hours everyday, and the SeattleTimes newspaper was kind enough to give me an extra $6/month "hill pay" since my route took 3x's as long as the other routes due to the hills I had to endure. I think I made like $1/hour or something, child slavery is alive and well in the US! They got away with it because they made me an "independent contractor".

Back to the motorbicycling- So I need to go up and down steep hills, but I'd love to go 30mph. I think what I might do is buy a 36t sprocket and a new back wheel with tire and everything, and when I need to travel far I'll just put on the wheel with the 36t sprocket. When I need to carry a load or do lots of hills or something, I'll put on the other wheel. Anyone else do something like this?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
No but I considered it a few times but with just a bigger wheel and my standard sprocket but I'm not sure if you use two sprockets that your chain length wouldn't be effected. Seems like it would be.

SeattleMike

Mar 17, 2008
Seattle, WA
Yea I thought of that, I'm hoping that maybe I could get the chain as tight as possible with as little tensioner as possible with my 44t, then maybe the tensioner could make up the slack when I switch to the 36y. If not I could just have two different chains, that would be more of a hassle though.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
If you are still going up those hills you might find that the faster sprocket isn't any advantage. Not if you have to pedal to get up when you didn't with the 44... I know I go up some hills that are pretty steep with the 44 plus a very small wheel and I think I could walk it almost as fast, but with the bigger wheel it actually sounded like the engine was changing pitch when it came under stress. So I went back to the small wheel. Now the engine races or flat ground. I usually throttle it back and do about twenty on the flats. I'm going to have to buy a speedometer so I can have a more accurate idea. I think I'm the only person running that small a wheel on the back end, so I don't have anyone to ask.

Andyinchville1

Manufacturer/Dealer
Dec 26, 2007
Scottsville, VA
HI Guys,

As far as far as a "comfortable cruise" at 30 MPH I don't know if there is any 1 sprocket size that is the "best" (the curse of only having 1 gear to work with....the better your top end the worse you will be on the low end)....Anyways, I run a 36T (max speed about
34.4 MPH RPM limited....I didn't want to wind out higher for rear of blowing the engine...Climbs steep hills fine (I live in VA) with a tuned pipe or will bog somewhat with a stock muffler (you could always pedal assist a little) and it is still a little buzzy for me so if you want a sustained 30MPH I would recommend a steeper (smaller) sprocket....maybe a 32 or possibly less...FWIW I weigh about 160, Bike is a trek 7000, engine is a Dax 70. As far as clutch let out speed, the less slipping you do the longer the clutch will last....I am typically 7 MPH or so when I let it out.

BikeguyJoe - Sorry If I misplaced or misfiled you previous price quote request...Please keep me in mind in the future. Thanks!

Hope this helps.
Andrew

Jesuswon1

Jul 25, 2008
What about a jack shaft kit? you could then use what ever gears you need for your conditions! with non of this :bike2: on the hills!