100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

John Robertson

Nov 5, 2013
Gretna, Louisiana
I use OPTI-2 (1.8 Oz@gallon) and runs great and i dont have oil dripping out my pipe anymore. Plug is good so far. Still need to do some tuning though. I need to do some mods to adjust my powerband to my riding style. cylender, head & piston and I want to go to a 68 jet

May 9, 2013
Laguna Beach, Ca.
Do you have a NT carb? After running Opti at 100:1 mine was 4 stroking a lot with the stock jet, I installed a 68 and it improved it the issue slightly, then I switched to a 66 and it runs way better with just a bit of 4 stroking at about 1/3 throttle and again at about 2/3. I may order an even smaller jet to see if that will eliminate the issue altogether.

rogergendron1

Sep 18, 2013
woburn ma
Do you have a NT carb? After running Opti at 100:1 mine was 4 stroking a lot with the stock jet, I installed a 68 and it improved it the issue slightly, then I switched to a 66 and it runs way better with just a bit of 4 stroking at about 1/3 throttle and again at about 2/3. I may order an even smaller jet to see if that will eliminate the issue altogether.
running a 16mm yamaha y zinnger / pw80 carb, #70 main jet, i just got my 90deg angle air filter though so now i can tune it up. i was running a brigs and straton lawn mower filter adapted to the carb with a spacer, now that i have a proper high flow filter i can tune it with my jet kit.

on another note on the 90 deg air filter from SBP.... if you use that filter angled upwards, it keeps your filter cleaner, this is due to the blowback from the motor hitting the rubber angle instead of the filter paper ! i like it a lot !

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Anytime you reduce the oil content in your fuel mix you have to understand that you are effectively increasing the fuel portion of that mix, or making it richer. The oil is not considered a combustable so therefore when you reduce the ratio you must decrease the fuel to air ratio at the same time.

This is where those who are against 100:1 mixes feel you can do damage to your engine. You must lean out the mix (less fuel to air) to get proper combustion. Reducing jet size is the best way to accomplish this. The naysayers will tell you that leaning that much will cause problems such as overheating, pre-ignition, piston or cylinder wall or bearing damage. What they don't understand is that even with the 100:1 fuel/oil mix, the lubrication is still there. It just doesn't take as much (quantity) as if using standard 2stroke oil.

I don't use jet sizes, 66, 68, etc. I find them too nebulous. I solder and re-drill stock jets until I get a good clean 2 stroke under load and good spark plug color. I've overshot and found my engines running lean at top end. That's when I come back and drill them out one drill size larger, or whatever it requires for best running condition.

With the NT carburetor you can adjust mid range (up to 3/4 throttle) with the 'C' clip and needle but WOT performance requires you to do some experimenting with jet size.

Your altitude above sea level will also have an effect on tuning. The higher you are, the leaner you need to go. The closer to sea level you are the richer you can run the fuel/air mix.

In short: If you plan to run Opti-2, or any oil at 100:1 you'll need to start experimenting with jet size and go leaner with your fuel/air mix for best performance.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Yes i have a stock NT on mine. I have the same 4 stroking problem but eventually i will go to a reed valve and a different carb I have been ordering my parts piece by piece
My suggestion is don't waiste your money on the reed valve stuff, just tune the carb to run correctly as Tom has given advise on in his post and you will have a nice running engine if your ports are deburred and matched up pretty good and the engine doesn't have really crazy bad upper rpm vibes from a badly balanced crank, a free flowing exhaust is a must of these china girl engines for top performance also, a stock unmodified pipe is a performance killerrrrrr.... on these engines.

The RT carb from thatsdax is also a good option that wont do better on the top end than the NT in my experience but will offer better low to mid throttle response and is also easy to tune by just changing main jet size.

map
(^)

Djfanforlife88

Feb 28, 2014
Virginia beach
i now have 200 miles on my engine so i went with the opti-2. 1.8 in a gallon of gas, i lost 4 miles an hour on my top speed is this normal? I have ran 20 miles on this mix and staying steady top speed of 22(it is a 29" bike and i weigh 240) and sounds like i am not getting full rpm's i know i have to tune carb(it is a speed carb), i just want to make sure this is normal if not i will switch mix i live at sea level in Virginia beach va so what jet does everyone think i should use it is a a stock (except for carb) china girl? and it is really flat here.
:-||

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
i now have 200 miles on my engine so i went with the opti-2. 1.8 in a gallon of gas, i lost 4 miles an hour on my top speed is this normal? I have ran 20 miles on this mix and staying steady top speed of 22(it is a 29" bike and i weigh 240) and sounds like i am not getting full rpm's i know i have to tune carb(it is a speed carb), i just want to make sure this is normal if not i will switch mix i live at sea level in Virginia beach va so what jet does everyone think i should use it is a a stock (except for carb) china girl? and it is really flat here.
:-||
Read 2doors post above and this should answer your queation, you're likely running rich now, that is likely your problem.

Map

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
I used opti 2 last year, it was alright but Ijust couldn't trust such a small amount of oil. I use klotz r50 at 50:1 in cold weather, I'm gonna switch to 40:1 after I use up the rest of the gas I have now. Opti 2 is ok but it's not for me.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I used opti 2 last year, it was alright but Ijust couldn't trust such a small amount of oil. I use klotz r50 at 50:1 in cold weather, I'm gonna switch to 40:1 after I use up the rest of the gas I have now. Opti 2 is ok but it's not for me.
I hears of other that were concerned about running 100:1, but the fact is that with Opti2 the engine is better protected at 100:1 than it is with many other oils at a lot richer oil mix, I been running Opti2 since 2010 and many others on this forum have been running it even longer than I have not to mention the rental companies that have used it for many many years without one single oil related failure, I say run what you want but Opti2 is an excellent oil that can very safely be used at its recommended mix of 100:1.

It has proven itself for many yeara so I run it with confidence and it hasnt let me
Down a single time and all my 2 stroke engines are run on it and they all run great, almost no smoke and they have great power.

Hope you have great results with the Klotz, they make a good product but for me I'll stick with the beat oil I've ever used.

Map
.wee.

massdrive

Oct 3, 2013
Las Vegas
hey all, I also recently made the switch to opti2 at 400 miles. I'm mixing it 1.1ozs to a gallon of premium. I'm lovin it! My engine runs smother, and quieter at lower RPM's. It revs higher, runs stronger across the power band. There is very little smoke coming out of the tail pipe and it doesn't stink of oil anymore. My exhaust pipe doesn't drip goo, and best of all I picked up a solid 3 mph at the top end... what's not to like!

slayer60973

Dec 24, 2012
West Michigan
I hears of other that were concerned about running 100:1, but the fact is that with Opti2 the engine is better protected at 100:1 than it is with many other oils at a lot richer oil mix, I been running Opti2 since 2010 and many others on this forum have been running it even longer than I have not to mention the rental companies that have used it for many many years without one single oil related failure, I say run what you want but Opti2 is an excellent oil that can very safely be used at its recommended mix of 100:1.

It has proven itself for many yeara so I run it with confidence and it hasnt let me
Down a single time and all my 2 stroke engines are run on it and they all run great, almost no smoke and they have great power.

Hope you have great results with the Klotz, they make a good product but for me I'll stick with the beat oil I've ever used.

Mapl
.wee.
That's a pretty bold statement. Now I don't doubt that at the same ratio it will lubricate better than other oils, . But I refuse to believe it will lubricate better than other oil running at 40:1 vs opti 100:1, cheap oil maybe, but definitely not the oil I run. Especially without hard physical evidence or test data. Yes opti has been around for a long time, and I'm not a hater. There's just no way that opti 100:1 would outlast a good synthetic at 40:1. Especially if well taken care of. And opti is only for lower hp engines. One more time just for the record. I don't hate opti, and you are a well respected member of this forum, that statement just grinds my gears.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Shan (mapbike) has multiple engines with over 1000 miles on them with zero issues. He also lives in the 'heatbelt of Texas' with extreme temps during the summer.....that kinda of use with no problems seems like "hard physical evidence or test data" to me.

Now I don't run Opti-2. I use Echo oil at a 50:1 ratio ---- also with zero issues. I'm not taking sides on this issue, but Shan's facts do support his case.

Best of luck to everyone in whatever you decide to run!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
As I have said before Im not saying Opti2 is the final word on 2 stroke oil, but the hard facts are that it works and as far as it being made for low power engines.... if that is the case then our china girls fit right just fine, its true that there are some other good oils out there and under really high performance applications I know there are better choices than Opti2, but several of us have proven that the china girl enginea do very good on Opti2 with some benefit over SOME of the other oils, example: low to nearly no smoke, low odor, increased performance ( a few mph increase in top speed ) in some cases, good throttle response, and a less messy engine and exhaust since so little oil is needed, in my opinion when you can have all of this out of an oil and it has proven to give high protection to the internals, its a win win..
And by the way weedwackera and chainsaws are hard working high rpm engines and if rental companies trust it over all others in there rental equipment it isn't snake oil....

When I have taken my engines apart to do mods after running Opti2 at 100:1 the internals are. Overed with oil, what I understand about Opti2 is that it is chemically designed to be drawn to heat and it adheres to the internals, its advantage is not how oily it is its ability to adhere and its film strength under heat and pressure even at a small amout compared to many or most of the other conventional type oils.

I like synthetic oils also and run them in my vehicles and my motorcycles including my Harley, they do a great job and Im not hating on them at all, my entire point is regarding our china girl bike engines, its just a nice thing to me to have my bikes run good and reliable with virtually no smoke, low odor, smooth throttle, good top speed, engines last under even the hard riding I put them through, I have run my bikes wide open throttle in the Texas summer heat for 7-8 milea non stop running over 8000-9000+rpm at speeds up to 45mph and has een 48mph a few times engine still runs good as new and sometimea I ride 50+ mile round trips and almost the entire ride will be at wide open throttle or close to it.... to me this proves the level of protection Opti2 provides, my personal experience di tates my opinions on this subject, at first I was a little skeptical myself, and I ran Opti2 at around 70:1 but then I took the plunge to 100:1 and have not had a single issue for around three years.

I wish you the best with whatever you use and I dont care what anyone else uses, if it works for you and your happy and confident with it I say " go fur it " for me Opti2 has proven to do exactly what I want and what I need for my engines so I use it and will continue to use it.

Seems this discusion will never end and people will always refuse to accept the years of evidence that proves that Opti2 is an excellent product and does exactly what it claims to do, but thats OK, some people swear Ford makes a horrible vehicle and wont own one, me personally I buy Ford trucks and have had better luck with them, do what you fell good about and enjoy it, thats what I do....

Peace, Map

dnut

60weight

Sep 15, 2011
Dallas
Opti2 has stabilizer in it also.seems to last a long time after mixed up...
Yep Im sold after tryin it. Still use Lucas in my Harleys and Amsoil in my ole Ford truck :)
100/1 just cant be beat.
Nice to read this thread!

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I also run Lucas in my Harley, good stuff Maynard.......lol!

And yes that is another benefit of Opti2, I've had gas mix set for a year and a half and it still smelled fresh and ran perfectly.
Map
.wee.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I've been mixing my Opti-2 @ the recommended 100:1 ratio. It sure is expensive though. 100 gallons of Opti -2 to a gallon of gas works great for me but I can't afford to do much riding.

Tom

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I've been mixing my Opti-2 @ the recommended 100:1 ratio. It sure is expensive though. 100 gallons of Opti -2 to a gallon of gas works great for me but I can't afford to do much riding.

Tom
Thats what I run my diesel china girls on Tom..... wow and I thought I was the only one, the gas mileage is incredible but the oil mileage sucks....lol!

I know I know.... just having a little fun too....!

Map
.wee.