Like I needed another hobby...

GoldenMotor.com

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Howdy! I was referred here this weekend by BarelyAWake (I think) who I met at a scooter rally here in Maine. I was eyeing his trike and we got talking. Last year I bought an old beater cruiser frame that happened to come with a gas motor attached to it, so what the heck, here i am. I haven't had it running yet, I started by taking the whole thing apart to weld the frame back together, it was broken at two points. But I'm now looking to start tinkering on it. Pretty sure it's missing some parts. I'm at step 0 with it, I'm not sure how many cc's it is, what make it is or if there's anything wrong with it. I'm going to start simple by just mounting it back up on the cruiser it came on with a single speed coaster hub for testing, and if it gets going, i'll eventually move it over to a multi speed hub on a different frame for more serious use. So I'm really looking forward to having a resource like this site!

Mar 31, 2013
RI
welcome to the site and to the hobby man although i warn you that it is highly addictive, ...once you take your first ride you just can't let that be it, lol.

anyway, BarelyAwake is definitely from Maine and he definitely knows his stuff, ...i've never met the man personally but i just love his work, very professional so if you have him in your corner you are way ahead of the game.

...and this site is chock full of information on all things motorized bicycle related and it is also populated with many expert members who are very willing to help you if you run into trouble.

post up some pics of the bike man, we all love to look at pictures, here's a pic of mine to get you started, lol.

...btw, let me know if you'd rather i pulled the pic, it's just that i just put new wheels and tires on and i'm still enjoying how sweet she looks with the new sneaks.

peace, bozo

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Howdy Knightscape, welcome. LOL, great, truly great intro title!

Man, I am bummed I missed that rally. Just read about it this morning.. The pictures looked like you folks had a great time.

Please know that BA is quite insane and a mad genius. We are just glad he uses his powers for good. The pics and vids of his "bent zombie" are really amazing. http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=24210

But any way, welcome again and great to meet ya.

Russell

Apr 19, 2009
MA
Escape while you can! Before you end up in motorized bicycle rehab! An addiction that is hard to shake, save your self while there is still hope!

PS: welcome to the forum, wish I had made that rally!

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
BA's 12 steps

"1. We admitted we were powerless while pedaling—that our hills and distances had become unmanageable.
2. Came to believe that a power greater than ourselves could restore bicycling to sanity.
3. Made a decision to turn our will and our lives over to the care of engines as we understood them.
4. Made a searching and fearless moral inventory of the interwebs.
5. Admitted to our budget, to ourselves, and to another human being the exact nature of our desires.
6. Were entirely ready to have the patience to remove all these defects of our rides.
7. Humbly asked of our tools to remove all shortcomings.
8. Made a list of all problems that may cause harm, and became willing to make amends to them all.
9. Made direct amends to such issues wherever possible, except when to do so would injure yourself or others.
10. Continued to make modifications and when we were wrong promptly admitted it.
11. Sought through patience and experimentation to improve our contact with the road as we understood it, seeking only for knowledge and entertainment for us and the power to carry that out.
12. Having had a spiritual awakening as the result of these steps, we tried to carry this message to all bicyclists, and to practice these principles in all our affairs.
__________________"

#5 always cracks me up. Although #11, contact with the road is just good advise. (other then bouncing or scraping along it, that is)

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Thanks for the warm welcome! I'll have to take some photos of what I've got and get organized. I need to do some shuffling around of stuff in my garage to get that bike down from the rafters and find a good place to lay out the engine parts to figure out what's missing.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
o_O

I didn't do it lol

Welcome to our lil corner of the 'net knightscape, glad ya found the place! I had a grand ol' time at the rally & it was a pleasure meetin' ya (^)

I would suggest when ya get that bike down from the rafters that ya shoot a few pics & post 'em, we'd all be glad to help try & identify what flavor motor you've got, what it might need & anythin' else that comes to mind ;)

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
OK, take 3 at trying to post pics... Today I learned that Google now sucks for embedding resized pics.

Here's the bike I'm working with for testing, that the engine came on, I originally bought the bike mainly for the frame, and the wheels are new from another project bike, the drive gear is currnetly attached to the rear wheel with one of those rubber sandwich set ups that grabs the spokes:

Motor, no markings I could find. Seems to have compression, cylinder looks clean:

Stray clutch lever parts, no idea what the 90° noodle is for:

More stray parts, clutch cable, tank, broken fuel filter:

Parts I know I'm missing: Throttle, pin that holds the clutch lever rod:confused: in the cover, clutch hand lever, kill switch, fuel filter.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Aaand one more, magneto is a bit rusty but turns. Haven't tested for fire yet. Also there's a green wire that runs inside here but is broken, it looks like it ran to the windings on the magneto?:

Also the frozen bolt in lower right of cover, I drilled out and later removed with vice grips after a good soak in PB Blaster.

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Thanks! The push rod that goes through to the clutch doesn't seem interested in moving, so I'll heave to dig into the clutch from the other side to see if it's bound up or what. That diagram will help!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Thanks! The push rod that goes through to the clutch doesn't seem interested in moving, so I'll heave to dig into the clutch from the other side to see if it's bound up or what. That diagram will help!
That pin is called the 'bucking bar' and you won't be able to push it in by hand. The clutch spring is too strong. There is also a ball bearing in the hole behind that pin. The bore, the pin and the ball all need to move easily and be well lubricated. But the pin won't move until you have the clutch actuator cover on and can use the lever or have the cable and handlebar lever connected.

My guess is that the engine has been sitting out in the elements for a while. The magneto coil might be okay but to be on the safe side I'd replace it. They're cheap.

Tom

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Your thread title still has me laughing. (think many of us can relate)

We gotta do a tittle and best nickname contest.