Speakers on bike?

GoldenMotor.com

SavageBlunts904

May 9, 2012
Orange Park, Fl
I am a lover of music and am wondering what kind of setup i should make to put a set of speakers loud enough to hear over the 2 stroke sound.

Any type of generator that can go on a sproket and touch the chain?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Cannot find my close-up pics but the trike on the left has a MP3player with loudspeakers or headphones if you choose. It also has a rear view camera.

Attachments

Sidewinder Jerry

Dec 19, 2011
Rockwood, TN
Head phones is the way to go. Music loud enough to be heard over a two stroke may be a noise ordnance violation. Florida has some tough laws on motorized bikes (no manual clutching, 50 cc or less, motor can't drive multiple gears, must have peddles etc...). If you not in compliance with your laws then you don't want to be drawing attention to yourself.

Last edited:

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
Well that sounds like a fun project!
...a genny driven by the drive chain!

An engine is music to my ears, and I'm pretty good with that.
Well, except for flathead harleys... the valve train noise amplified by an aluminum head absolutely drives me crazy! I think it's gonna blow up, all the time!

Many riders enjoy powerful sound systems, with speakers usually mounted in the fairing.
The touring motorcycle website stores should have a good selection of speakers.

If i were to do it, I would just run total loss from a sla battery or gel cell.

have fun!
rc

and yes, the music will be a distraction from any number of other unknown things which could become very important to you without warning.

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
All you need is a portable iHome speakers and your ipod. I strongly discourage the use of headphones. They totally block out everything else. If you use headphones, use only one. I have had many buddies get in accidents because they couldn't hear a car horn, or didn't know someone was next to them...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
I was driving my car behind a guy on a moped wearing head phones and happily bopping along. 2 lanes and a car was passing me on the right just as the moped rider was changing lanes to the right. I was blocking the passing car's view of the moped. He didn't hear the horns but luckily looked over his shoulder while crossing the white line. Man, about soiled my self. Seen enough gore to last a life time.

For my self, I think any more sound is dangerous and any distraction on 2 wheels is to much. But would be real cool to have tunes for rest breaks. They have solar chargers for ipods or batteries for walkmans. A walkman with good speakers kick butt!

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Uh oh Dan's gonna need that for his dash board:)
Shoot if that thing is loud enough in the wind I think I want one lol. :Dlaff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Oh man Goat, that would be a cool DIY project.

I can't find any pics of the dash board but would be easy to mount speakers. Wondering how to weather proof?

(The dash board was just a flat pc of wood with holes for a kill-switch, tach and a GPS velcro-ed down)

donphantasmo

Oct 3, 2010
Middleburg, FL
years ago i found some speakers made just for bikes they mounted to the handle bars over my exhaust i could barely hear them enough to hummmm along to the songs kinda thing .

http://www.amazon.com/SoundShell-Bicycle-Portable-Speakers-versions/dp/B00439CQKQ

this looks pretty cool .
That's the setup I was talking about. It goes right on the handle bars and plugs to anything that plays music. iPods, iPhones, any other phones that play music, or just any cheap MP3 player you buy at biglots for 10$$.

Fonzz

Oct 8, 2011
Cali
years ago i found some speakers made just for bikes they mounted to the handle bars over my exhaust i could barely hear them enough to hummmm along to the songs kinda thing .

http://www.amazon.com/SoundShell-Bicycle-Portable-Speakers-versions/dp/B00439CQKQ

this looks pretty cool .
I believe I've got that same thing but from a different place, for a little bit less $
http://pimpmybicycle.biz/bicycleSpeakers.aspx

Not too impressed with it though. Now, instead, I just open it up, put this little speaker inside of it, zip it back up half way and use it like that. The pouch kind of makes an additional enclosure. It definitely outperforms the other, has built in rechargeable battery and lasts for several long rides. I'm hoping I can still hear it when I get my quiet little Honda 4 stroke attached to my bike, maybe I'll buy another one and use both at the same time...
Amazon has many other similar little portable speakers to choose from, I'm tempted to try others...

http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss_1?url=search-alias=aps&field-keywords=portable+speakers