Questions about laws in Canada

GoldenMotor.com

elemein

Jan 26, 2012
Canada
So a little while ago I came to the forum because I wanted to build a bike; but it was quickly factored out that it was illegal to ride one without a license. I am 15 and in the province of Ontario, Canada in the city of Mississauga.

I was talking about the stuff with a friend recently and he said "isnt the law that you dont need a license for it if the engine is under 49cc?", and it got me thinking... I've heard something like that before. So is it true? Is there any possibility of running a gasoline bike without a license, being 15, in Mississauga, Canada?

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
The first thing you can do is check with your local licensing agency.

They may give you a straight answer....although I finally gave up trying to find out the actual interpretation of the laws here and just ride.

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
from what i have been reading regarding motorized bicycle use,here in manitoba you need any stage of driver's licence,be it a learners permit or better.
i believe my bike,for all intents and purposes is considered a moped.
in manitoba you need to be at least 16 to operate one on the road.
i know its kind of ridiculous,i'm sure you have been riding a bike for quite some time,but as soon as you motorize it,yer toast.
just like if you get caught riding a dirt bike on the road.

Last edited:

rjs467

Feb 5, 2012
Windsor, Ontario
You're absolutely correct. Your explained age and bike power factors are the same in Windsor, Ontario. Yet a town over, in Amherstburg, Ontario, I was told that a motored bike's power is of no concern. All the police ask is that anyone who rides such a vehicle be at least 16, wears a helmet, and goes no faster than 50 KMs hour. I responded saying, "You police are great. I love this town!" I always loved the town, even before this bike thing. Not even a DOT rated helemet is required! But in Windsor it is required.xct2

tooljunkie

Apr 4, 2012
Manitoba,Canada
small town police can be a little more forgiving,as long as the rules of the road are obeyed.
not very good news for elemein,but maybe if he keeps a low profile.i'm not encouraging you to go ahead and ride,but a talk with the local 5-0's may shed some light.it doesent hurt to ask.