100:1 Mix

GoldenMotor.com

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
Well it's Amsoil Saber @ 100:1 instead of Opti,
Wow thats really cool B.A.!

My first 5.8 Morini I examined the cylinder bore @ 4000 plus miles and one very cruel and unusual beating testing all limitations. I was convinced I had scored the piston and had a new one with rings on stand by..

To my joy and surprise! The 5.8 looked bran new inside the bore.... not one scuff mark on the piston or the cylinder walls!!! The piston had the original lath groove cut marks from when the piston was constructed at the factory unblemished. The carbon trails around the piston rings were text book perfect.

With the jshaft abomination I got that motor so hot once on a severe 20 mile ''up hill'' towards a Mountain test run... that it even stopped running till I let it cool off in the hottest month of July in real Desert heat 100 F. plus . That was my morbid severe testing madness tho. I really wanted to know if I could break chains the N.V. hub etc. For better words I was ''absolutely'' trying to break it.... ALL 0F IT.

While waiting for the motor to cool off the N.V. hub left a wicked burn scar on my hand... When I touched it my skin sizzled!! I love the M. single speed now.. That N.V. was not a energy efficient design in my experience

My 9.4 single speed is absolutely cherry and does every thing perfect for me. Never did I over heat that motor. That 5.8 was run on Amsoil's Dominator @ 42to one.

That other motor looks like a Marine motor?

I saw this post today and found it very interesting.

I found this while doing some research on oils. It's not completely scientific, but it's interesting for a couple reasons. The engine was spinning a propeller, and rpm differences show as power increase or decrease. Opti-2 was not used in this test, however the only 100-1 test showed piston scuffing, whereas none showed in any other test. I'd look at that as a headsup. No extra power, but extra wear. The most power was @ the beginning of a test @ 32-1
http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/RC Aero - 2 Stroke Oil Testing Summary.pdf

If nothing else, that was a real tough test, hours running at full throttle. Nascar engines only run 3 hours and are torn down and rebuilt or sold. This sucker endured quite a beating.

Last edited:

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
opti 2 doesn't say that they recommend a 100:1 mix right?
Yes, it's written on the container:

"A single mix for all 2 cycle engines.

6 fl. oz. mixes 5 U.S. gal. of gasoline.....
12 fl.oz. mixes 10 U.S. gal. of gasoline.....
1/2 gal. mixes 50 U.S. gal. of gasoline.....
1 gal. mixes 100 U.S. gal. of gasoline.....

100ml. mixes 10 litres of gasoline.....
1 litre mixes 100 litres of gasoline".

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
a sick joke with 88 pages and some of the most respected forum members running it for years with no problems?

seriously, run whatever oil you want. no one's putting a gun to your bike's head and forcing it to run Opti2.

i use it, i love it, and i recommend it. i'm not a paid spokesman, a salesman, and have no financial ties to Opti2.

i'm just an extremely satisfied customer.

there is nothing new to be said about this subject.
Me too. I've used it for a long time and am happy with it. I don't care what other people choose to use. I can't believe this thread is still going with the same arguments over and over again.
SB

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Well it's Amsoil Saber @ 100:1 instead of Opti,
Wow thats really cool B.A.!

My first 5.8 Morini I examined the cylinder bore @ 4000 plus miles and one very cruel and unusual beating testing all limitations. I was convinced I had scored the piston and had a new one with rings on stand by..

To my joy and surprise! The 5.8 looked bran new inside the bore.... not one scuff mark on the piston or the cylinder walls!!! The piston had the original lath groove cut marks from when the piston was constructed at the factory unblemished. The carbon trails around the piston rings were text book perfect.

With the jshaft abomination I got that motor so hot once on a severe 20 mile ''up hill'' towards a Mountain test run... that it even stopped running till I let it cool off in the hottest month of July in real Desert heat 100 F. plus . That was my morbid severe testing madness tho. I really wanted to know if I could break chains the N.V. hub etc. For better words I was ''absolutely'' trying to break it.... ALL 0F IT.

While waiting for the motor to cool off the N.V. hub left a wicked burn scar on my hand... When I touched it my skin sizzled!! I love the M. single speed now.. That N.V. was not a energy efficient design in my experience

My 9.4 single speed is absolutely cherry and does every thing perfect for me. Never did I over heat that motor. That 5.8 was run on Amsoil's Dominator @ 42to one.

That other motor looks like a Marine motor?

I saw this post today and found it very interesting.

I found this while doing some research on oils. It's not completely scientific, but it's interesting for a couple reasons. The engine was spinning a propeller, and rpm differences show as power increase or decrease. Opti-2 was not used in this test, however the only 100-1 test showed piston scuffing, whereas none showed in any other test. I'd look at that as a headsup. No extra power, but extra wear. The most power was @ the beginning of a test @ 32-1
http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/RC Aero - 2 Stroke Oil Testing Summary.pdf

If nothing else, that was a real tough test, hours running at full throttle. Nascar engines only run 3 hours and are torn down and rebuilt or sold. This sucker endured quite a beating.
Goat, 'cuse the rant - it's just my general opinion, not directed at you & prolly the last time I'll bother to post in this thread as there will always be just one more naysayer whom will post their "findings" without even trying anything themselves, ignoring the rest of this thread and all those that have come before & recommending insanity like 32:1 with 100:1 synthetic "because more is better" or w/e :rolleyes:

...Yes, that's a Yamaha 3hp outboard that's at least 25 years old & granted, tho water cooled - I think it's notable that it and all other Yamaha 2 strokes in it's class call for 100:1 from the factory and have for decades now, long before any rumors of EPA shenanigans. I took a pic of that one 'cause it was handy.

To the best of my knowledge, all their "modern" oil injected two strokes, outboard, dirt bike or atv use ratios between 50 & 100:1. It's only mentioned in the advanced tech & service manuals & I suspect that's due to shade tree "mechanics" paranoia - an opinion shared by the service technicians whom get to deal with the consequences of the owner "outsmarting" Yamaha. In fact, if you decide you "know better" than Yamaha's engineering department & decide to premix richer, and/or bypass their variable oil injection systems (which run even leaner mixes at idle/no load), you will completely void their normally extensive & comprehensive warranty package... but hey they've only been building motors since 1955, racing since 1956, what would they know?

Point being - run w/e the heck you want, I don't care if you mix 16:1 w/used motor oil or even collect donkey ear wax for 1:1, all I'm saying is there is nothing unusual, revolutionary or experimental about 50:1 - 100:1 oil fuel mixes, it's been around, used & even mandated by actually reputable engine manufacturers, designed by real engineers for decades - second guessed only by whom? A handful of consumers whom haven't tried it and second rate dropshippers looking to void warranties for any reason they can. ...Just my personal observations ofc, but as I've personally tried it AND I'm not selling engines or oil, or anything at all - I like to think it's slightly less prone to bias *shrug*

As for this: http://www.rcaer.com/userfiles/file/RC Aero - 2 Stroke Oil Testing Summary.pdf

rotfl - I vote "It's not completely scientific" as the understatement of the year, the author even said as much as he "translated" someone else's findings (unnamed "scientist" ofc) & interjecting his personal opinions (quote: "remember, this is my biased opinion") on some obscure commercial website.

A used motor run overspeed & overload to try all sorts of different oils, including ratios twice that of recommended with the 100:1 being "tested" last and best yet? No mention of a rebuild between "tests" (quote: "...the engine is finally showing the wear of long accumulated runtime" = no rebuild or replacement) - let alone the results of those 100:1 "tests" being in direct contradiction to my own findings - hard carbon & piston scuffing, neither of which is evident on my high mileage engine, it's got a very light layer of soft, greasy deposits & no piston scuffing - there's some light streaking on the cylinder walls, the one evident in the pic is where the ring gap was & wiped off w/a touch. The chrome liner is flaking off a bit - but that's at the base of the cylinder, well below the combustion chamber or the ring wear area & I attribute this to it's extremely high mileage combined with shoddy manufacture & skirt slap.

Pardon me if I don't jump right up to dump out all my 100:1 & run 1:1 donkey wax lol

In conclusion - I am not recommending anything other than a quality oil run at the oil manufacturer's recommended mix ratio as the one thing that's been proven beyond a doubt is the Chinese in-frame kit manufacturers & their retailers don't know diddly. Run what you wish, whatever makes you sleep better at night - but for crying out loud, don't double or even triple the ratio for an advanced synthetic just because you think you know better, or because you read something written by someone somewhere on the interwebs (including my rants ofc).

Pick a ratio you're comfy with & buy an oil made for that ratio - at least that way you know if/when something goes wrong, it wasn't the oil mix.

Last edited:

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
Barelyawake,
I'm wondering where to get the donkey ear wax. Do you have a link? What about other ear wax including human or dog? Have any comparisons been done? Enquiring minds want to know!

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Hmm.
I've kept up with this thread from day one when John (the retired machinist, whatever happened to him?) first posted his findings. I've read the pros and cons and as all of you know I'm a die-hard Opti-2 user. That's in contradiction to the warnings from engine suppliers and those who have never tried the stuff.

Initially the thread was interesting and informative. However, it seems to be going the way of many threads and turning into a platform for argument.

I submit that any future posts to this thread be only first person findings and experience using a 100:1 mix, Opti-2 or any other blend, either positive or negative. I believe it goes without saying that the majority of those running this so called unorthadox lubrication ratio have found nothing to sway their devotion to it from the naysayers and backyard 'experts'. By the way, you don't get conclusive test results by bolting an engine to a stationary mount and running the heck out of it. A no load test, even if you throw on a propeller, doesn't duplicate real running conditions. Engine designers, when testing their designs either put them in vehicles and drive them or they are set up on a load test dynometer which can impose real world conditions.

This said, I stand by my submittal that this thread should, from this day on, reflect only positive or negative results USING the 100:1 mix ratio. Let's stop the bickering. It's repetitive and non-productive.

But, I am interested in this ear wax idea.

Tom

Last edited:

truckd

Oct 19, 2010
palmdale calif
I've heard alot about this 100:1 oil where can I get it ? I'll admit I haven't read all 89 pages but I'd like to try it in my new engines that have never been run before,let me know and sorry for not reading all the pages, 89 is like reading a novel.

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
If you have an ace or a true value try there, if not napa sometimes will sell something called sten mix which is re-packaged opti-2. The most important thing to understand about opti-2 is how it behave in a 2 stroke engine differently than other oils. There is an additive (I believe it is boron based) that smooths surfaces in the engine to a microscopic finish. When compared to factory fresh cylinders, and cylinders run on conventional 2 smoke oil, the opti-2 is the smoothest by far. I have run it in all of my 2 strokes including my chinagirls and I can say for certain that everything that has gone wrong on my engines so far has been due to vibration and poor construction but NEVER oil failure. If you use opti 2 you WILL like it!

rustycase

Gutter Rider
May 26, 2011
Left coast
WoW !

90 pages!!!

I kinda think if an engine were built so it was not feeding it's own construction QC flaws through itself, (slag and mismatched gaskets), and an effective intake filter was used, the only thing to create premature wear in the combustion chamber would be build-up of ash from combustion.
We gotta use the petrol, so it might follow that less oil, provided it accomplished the lubrication needed, would be better.

The glowing testimonials have convinced me!
When I burn through all the various jugs of 2 smoke mix oil I've got around here, I'll run one of the 100:1 flavors.
rc

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
You would think such a fine product would be available in every Wal-Mart, Home Depot, Lowes, Sears, etc.

The closest distributor of Opti products to me is like a hundred miles away.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
Buy local!

I was tempted to buy online, but shipping is killer!

I'm glad I found a local distributor. Small packets were very expensive. The larger the container, the cheaper per oz. I walked out with a 4-liter container. With tax, that cost me $90, which is less than 67 cents/ounce. That compares to 52.5 cents/2 ounce that I'm using.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Check your local tool rental places. Most of them sell products along with their rental business. I buy my Opti-2 from a rental place and...they use it in all of their rental equipment, 2 and 4 cycle. Yes, there's an Opti-4 for you four stroke fans.

You can also call Opti. They'll tell you the closest dealer to you.

Tom

LS614

Dec 22, 2009
CT and MA
I don't think so Biknut, I trust it in chinagirls because they're easy to replace and I know the chinas like them, but I'm gonna use motocross oil when I get myself a morini...

Vistaman73

Chat Box Junkie
Nov 29, 2009
Shawnee, Kansas
Well I just got my bike running again and this time its on Opti-2. I made a 70:1 mix of it, and it runs nicely although very rich, which was expected. I'm going to do some fine tuning on my bike after the fresh 100% rebuild of everything anf hopefully by mid winter it will be complete. First things first, get a new jet for my RT carb.

rob.smith

Oct 1, 2011
sd
found this stuff today at runnings called US2 2 cycle engine lubricant. comes in a pouch seams to be just like opti-2 just wondering if its the same kinda stuff?