Testing a new thatsdax.com engine.....

GoldenMotor.com

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
Previously, I had purchased 2 of Duane's GT50 R motors.....unfortunately, I had to send both of them back as I had numerous issues with head sealing.

The head bolts would loosen up and eventually both motors were more trouble then I was willing to put up with.

Through all this Duane couldn't have been nicer or more professional and as a goodwill gesture, he sent me a newer version of the motor to try out at no cost to me.

This new motor has a one piece head design that totally eliminates the head bolts and so far- I've been loving it. According to Duane, this is a slightly less powerful motor then the GT 50 R, but if it is......It's a really small difference.

The motor had a really nice torque curve-from right off idle up to 3/4 throttle-it feels exactly the same as the GT 50 with the power tailing off a little earlier the older version of the motor.

As it sits, I changed out the jet to a larger .80 part and am running Opti 2 at about a 30/1 ratio for a few tanks. I want this motor to last for awhile and the last thing I want to do is run it too lean and burn a hole in the piston.

Here's a pic showing the new head design.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Duane is a stand up guy. Can't go wrong dealing with him. I have purchased other kits from others and wished I had not. In My eyes he is a fine man and a great part of our forum (c)

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
It has the 78 mm clutch and I am using it with a thatsdax friction drive kit. If you're thinking about buying a friction drive kit....buy this one.

I have experience with other friction drive units and the dax is a nice piece.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
That engine in the pic is hard to see because it is so dark but it looks like that engine is just a stock CAG engine with a better carb, filter and the metal recoil/air shroud.

Even if it is, as long as it does a great job and you are happy with how it works out that is all that matters, it will be interesting to see if it is just a stock jug on those engines or if it is truly something "NEW"...

Glad to hear that engine is working out real good for you so far donutguy.

Peace, map

droc089

Jun 25, 2011
ohio
I wonder if he's had lots of trouble with those gt50's cause their not on the site anymore.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I was wondering the very same thing.........and I'll bet you're dead on with the trouble thing, he may have found them to be a real pain to keep going and the warranty stuff may be eating his lunch on them right now........I hate that for Duane if that is the case, I know he's a great fella that is trying to do right by everyone he does business with.

Peace, map

I wonder if he's had lots of trouble with those gt50's cause their not on the site anymore.

donutguy

Feb 4, 2010
PA
I think I mentioned previously.....Duane is the MAN! I'm looking to get another one of his friction drive kits and one of his 4 stroke motors to set up a bike for my wife to ride.

As long as he's in business selling bike parts- he's the guy I will buy parts from....I don't price shop-I customer service shop and he is a pleasure to deal with.

I have a consulting business and I take my bike on local appointments and I get tons of comments.

I send all interested parties to Duane's site.....not sure if he's gotten any extra business, but I sure hope so :)