Huffy Good Vibrations Cruiser mod

GoldenMotor.com

RyanBeehlerrr

May 31, 2011
Palm Harbor FL
Hello, I'd like to motorize my Huffy good vibrations bicycle.
I'd like to have an idle cruising speed of about 40.
My budget is >400$.
The amount of research I've done, I figure I'll need a 4 stroke engine.
Please suggest kits/parts I should buy.

Thank you very much,
-Ryan

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
A china doll with shift kit and expansion chamber is the only thing I can think of for that price. I think the four stroke option may be over the $400 budget, but probably worth it.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Click the Sick bike parts ad on this page, he should have everything you need. Pirate cycle is another one to look at, but if I remember right Sick Bikes is the place with the only shift kit worth buying.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
That's DAX has a decent selection of four stroke options, but I can't speak to the top speed of his kits as I have not done alot with four stroke kits/motors.

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
Being a 1 speed bike, I don't know why I would need a shift kit.
Good point, but getting a two stroke kit up to 40 mph with out a shift kit will be near impossible, not sure there is any engine that has the power band to do 40mph with out some sort of transmission.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
40MPH is not that hard to achieve but why would you want to do it? These are bicycles, not motorcycles. Bikes are designed and built for moderate speeds. 40 isn't realistic, or prudent when you're talking about a bicycle. You're dealing with bicycle wheels, frame, brakes and bearings. They weren't meant for sustained high speeds.

As I said, it can be done and it doesn't require gears or a shift kit. It doesn't even need to be a highly modified engine but my advice is to rethink your goals. You'll be safer.
Tom

dan+1

Mar 5, 2011
Texas
what 2 door said.

My first bike build is a huffy good vibrations, running stock configuration i am getting 32.5 mph with a 44 tooth. Cruising at 25 seems to be it's sweet spot right now.

Stopping a combined wieght of about 300# is a bit touchy with the stock brakes, i added a front brake.
I flat spotted my back tire the other day stoppin at a stop sign.

running a 2 stroke china engine pk-80 from (boy go fast) on ebay.

good luck. Oh yeah, get rid of the stock chaingaurds and fenders, more trouble than they are worth.

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
I purchased a 66cc slant head motor from a plave called T4B motorsports and Im very happy with the kits quality and completeness, and with your budget you could quite easily do a similar kit along with some great modifications to up your speed and safety. You are on the right track by joining this forum as you can hear un-biased opinions on kits from ppl that actually have and ride them on there own bikes.

In the same light as what 2-door said, ill add this as well......If this is your first build one thing alot of people dont realize is how fast 40mph actually is on a bike. These dont feel like cars or even motorcycles when doing 40mph. That kind of speed feels exteremely fast on a BICYCLE (lets not forget what we are building on) My bike which is still being broken in will reliably do 28-30 mph which actually feels alot faster than it sounds. We can all appreciate the need to go faster, but just try to keep in mind we want this hobby to move forward and have a good reputation, so safety is paramount. Oh and fun....lots of fun!
-Dan

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
I weigh in at around 300 so I have not found the power band on the two stroke kits wide enough to get me any where near 40mph not that I would want to I am proud member of the 20 mile an hour club.

walander

Aug 27, 2010
ID
dax's gt50r racing motor with a rear rackmount and chaindrive kit and a 36t sprocket will get you past 40, I have a set up like that and it flies, however, I must say, when I got into the motorized bike scene, all I wanted to do was go faster, But you really dont know how scary it can be going that fast on a bike. Not many things scare me, but going 45 on my gt50r bike with the front wheel dancing all around, it realy is enough to give you white hair, the "fun band" for these bikes is in the 30-35mph range I would say. If you really really want to go that fast on a bike, make sure you get something a whole lot better then that huffy, I have got over 20 huffy builds under my belt and let me tell you, that bike will fall apart at those speeds.

8-9-duck

May 23, 2011
west michigan
just got my "good vibe' running. 66cc skyhawk. i weigh 200#. will i go faster with a 50 tooth rear? it has 44t now.will it pull me around easier?

Ballin on a Budget

May 26, 2011
Vernon, British Columbia
Hey Duck, glad to hear your up and running!

The general rule of thumb with regards to rear sprocket size is each tooth will equal approx. 1MPH. The less teeth the more top speed, the more teeth (going to a 50t from a 44t) the slower your top apeed will be but the more torque and pulling power you will gain.

If you go from a 44T now to a 50T you will loose 6 teeth, meaning you will loose roughly 6MPH from your current top speed. But you will certainly notice an increase in hill climbing power and acceleration. So rear sprocket size is really a matter of what you want out of your bike, top speed or hill climbing power. To optomize both, you realisticly need either a mutiple speed bike with a shift kit, or a smaller sprocket with some engine mods to compensate for the loss in torque. Hope that helps and isnt too confusing!
-Dan

ferball

Apr 8, 2010
NH
When I went from a 44 to a 50 I did not see a significant loss on the top end, but the hill climbing was night and day. I weigh in a 300 so I don't think I was ever getting everything out of the 44 but the steeper band on the 50 wound out nicely with my fat but on it.