does anybody on this forum restore license plates?

GoldenMotor.com

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Are you looking for someone to do it for you, or ideas on how to do it?
I've done several, for myself and a couple for friends. You'll need access to a bead blaster and some metal working skills to do it yourself.
I don't have the time or access to the blaster anymore so I can't offer my services, just suggestions on what and how.
Tom

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
thanks, just some questions about paint. What is the best to use? plate color and letters.
After bead blasting I spray on several good, heavy coats of a high fill primer. Sand between coats then go with your base color coat. Again, lay on several heavy coats. I hand lettered mine with a good quality artist brush and One Shot, sign painters enamel of the appropriate color. After proper drying time shoot on a few coats of high gloss clear. Take you time and a steady hand. You'll be proud of your results.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Rattle can, gloss black. I don't remember the brand but it's not important. Rust-o-leum makes a good paint for this kind of job.
Here's a tag I did many moons ago. It has some road rash from 50,000 miles of highway abuse but it still looks okay.
I don't have any before photos but this tag was just rust when I got it. I used the methods I told you about above. Good luck. Post some before/after photos of your tag when you're finished.

Attachments

dmb

Dec 4, 2010
lakewood ca
hey 2door, are you sure you didn't have a job making licence plate's at sometime in the past? i mean the age and treachery thing... best regard's dennis