Building my "first" motorized bike

GoldenMotor.com

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Well, my very first was back in the 50s and I used a Maytag gas washing machine motor. It did ok, but was cumbersom. The Chinese motors look simple enough and I suppose if one can walk and chew gum and scratch their head they could probably get the bike to go forward. The bike I'm puttin it on is the OCC chopper and it's for my nephew. The first thing I found out is that if you can't tinker worth a darn you might want to consider walking. I believe this site will remove a lot of the frustration factor out of figuring exactly how every thing goes. The section on the proper installiation of the rear hub was a Godsend. I had already put the darn thing in two ways and both were wrong. So, I will definately be looking at all of the "how tos" on the site. You guys are doing a great job and thanks so much.

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
bob my name is charlie gurkin from NC in the usa... Glad to have you with us... friend of mine built an occ she said the custom motor mounts are the cats meow

Last edited:

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
bob my name is charlie gurkin from NC in the usa... Glad to have you with us... friend of mine built an occ she said the custom motor mounts are the cats meow
Charlie you are dead on regarding the custom mount. I just followed instructions and it worked like a champ. Unfortunately, Christmas got in the way of further progress. My brothers name is Charles and our family originated in Beaufort County (after arrival in Jamestown). We are related. If you would like to see where you fit on the family tree you can see it at gurkinfamily.com It traces us back to 1 or 2 generations prior to the Revolution. More info is constantly being added. I've been after Dad to put in a forum for ppl to leave each other messages and enable other family members to get in touch. He's an old fart tho and can't be bothered :)

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
Have you been to the reunions my brother went to the first one I think. I personally have never gone but I find them interesting. Dad always said his family came from little washington originally. His dad lived in Tarboro at the end of his life. But they were in the timber business so went where the timber was.

I met a guy in Norfolk Va who was named Gurkin. A bunch of the Tarboro clan went to work in the shipyards so he probably was part of that group. Sometime I'm going to have to check them out a little, I'll take a look at the tree later.

Bob Gurkin

Jan 1, 2011
Raleigh, NC
Hi Charles. My Uncle, Marion, lived in Norfolk. He owned a business machine repairshop there. Those were probably some of his children you ran into. Pinetown, Washington, Tarboro, Belhaven are all places we have family. There are 4 family cemeterys in and around Pinetown alone. From what you are saying I believe your family comes from the same group mine comes from. Your daddy was in the timber business and so was his father. As a matter fact I'm sure he was the engineer on the small train that was used to bring timber out of the swamps. The railway is gone now but it is now a short road and is called Gurkin's Switch. I am aware of the reunions, but haven't attended. My Dad does though. Over the years I have walked miles of the Dismal Swamp area outside of Pinetown. I used to love rambling through there. All of the Gurkins in Pinetown are gone now with the exception of one lady. All of the farmland is gone. Either sold off or married into other families. About all that remains are the cemeterys and they are scattered about. That website I gave you will have a lot of photos of those early Gurkins. Check'em out :)

kipharley

Jul 9, 2009
Sanford,Maine
Hi Charles. My Uncle, Marion, lived in Norfolk. He owned a business machine repairshop there. Those were probably some of his children you ran into. Pinetown, Washington, Tarboro, Belhaven are all places we have family. There are 4 family cemeterys in and around Pinetown alone. From what you are saying I believe your family comes from the same group mine comes from. Your daddy was in the timber business and so was his father. As a matter fact I'm sure he was the engineer on the small train that was used to bring timber out of the swamps. The railway is gone now but it is now a short road and is called Gurkin's Switch. I am aware of the reunions, but haven't attended. My Dad does though. Over the years I have walked miles of the Dismal Swamp area outside of Pinetown. I used to love rambling through there. All of the Gurkins in Pinetown are gone now with the exception of one lady. All of the farmland is gone. Either sold off or married into other families. About all that remains are the cemeterys and they are scattered about. That website I gave you will have a lot of photos of those early Gurkins. Check'em out :)
Hey,Charlie and Bob welcome to the Forum! Glad you found each other.See how this Forum brings people togehter!Love your pickles! Kip.
[email protected]