Winter is coming!!!

GoldenMotor.com

littleman456

Sep 10, 2009
Minnesota
Well I just got the bike building bug and now winter is coming.:-||
I really want to do another build but I don't really want it to just sit in the garage.
So my question to you is what do you do with your bikes during the winter?

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
Sadly mine just sit in my basement/shop during the winter. One really needs a top overhaul, so at least I will be able to work on it a little this year. The other just needs the finishing touches (new seat, SBP pipe, etc) so I can work on it too.

peter carswell

Nov 18, 2009
Hamilton Ontario
I atually ride my bike year round i just dress extra warm for the winter months this year though i am transfering my motor to a classic cruiser bike and even painting my engine to match my new bike

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'd put mine in the garage and let it sit if I had a garage. One is sitting in my living room right now. Another is in the bike shop, two are in a covered trailer and the department of old stuff and donors is outside under a tarp.
SB

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Unless there's snow and ice on the streets, I ride all winter. Just bundle up and brave it. I've come home with my teeth (dentures) chattering and my nose frozen but I enjoyed the ride just the same. I'll admit; I don't ride on slick streets but that's just me. We used to have a member from Russia (Dagger) who posted videos of him and his pals having races in the snow. Have fun, dress warm and ride safe.
If your concern is winterizing your bike, just drain the tank and carburetor and stow it where it will stay dry. Preferably with the tires elevated off dirt if you don't have a concrete floor.
Tom

Last edited:

Goat Herder

Gutter Rider
Apr 28, 2008
N.M.
I park my motorized bikes and use my peddle bikes then I stay warm. For bad winter. I have come home with icicles hanging off my face.

Abraham Lincoln said, "Cut wood; it warms you twice."

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
what's winter?
That's when it gets cold and you have to wear shoes, long pants and a warm jacket in California.

And it's when I sleep with a blanket.

I ride all year with t-shirt, pants, shoes or boots and full safety gear.
dance1

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
dude winter is hear at least in ak it is

i would drive in the winter i know i could get around but as it turns out people hear are a hole drivers and druive way to fast on slippery roads and we get so much snow that only a few sidewalks are cleared i was walking last winter next to a very busy road and the top of the cars were below my knees and the snow was hard packed and no possible way to ride on

but there are a few diehards out there who bike all winter

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Not Alaska & that's a fact lol - but I ride my HT mountain bike all winter as a commuter, I usually end up passing a couple of cowardly cagers on the way in if we're havin' a storm :D

If it's particularly cold - I jus' wear my rain gear over my work clothes, no more than jeans, T shirt, hoody, and a jacket usually... with the rain gear on over my regular clothes the wind chill doesn't get me... tho it's mebbe tru my beard ends up freezin' solid & terrifying the occasional bystander :p

Tim_B_172

Aug 26, 2009
Saint Joseph, MO
You guys are crazy! :D

It isn't feasible to ride to either of my jobs, so I only ride for fun anyway. I see nothing fun about a 30mph blast of freezing air, but that's just me. ;)

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
what's winter?
YEAH here in Winter Garden Florida winter is perhaps 5-7 days long and we just dress warm and rain showers are called "pop-ups" cause they're done in 20 minutes. We DID have ice in 1989, turned the diesel fuel in my bug-truck TO JELLY.

YODAR

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Just Carhartts and a death-wish, lol. Pretty much give it up after December. Just not fun to be that cold. So they just sit and get the maintenance I neglected all summer. Last winter was testing a prototype. So would wait for it to snow or rain then take her out. Was dang miz-zo-bo! First few rides, I didn't have pedals to help body temp stay up

That is awesome SlowRoller. Got me thinking, put a hole in a front skid to allow wheel to still function. Skid would ride up and over deep snow. Purty cool.

Tinsmith

May 15, 2009
Maryland
I ride all winter here in Maryland, except last year when we had 52 inches in one week, the snow of the century. Dan