415 chain what else fits?

GoldenMotor.com

Rileyk

Jan 25, 2010
SLC UTAH
Hey all, I am building my second bike, and got a 410 with my kit, I ordered the simply amazing sprocket from manic for the 68spoke wheels, the 410 does not fit, I went to my local shop and asked for a 415, they thought I was crazy and gave me the best BMX chain they had, didn't fit. So I am calling around and no one carries them?? Is there any other chain the shops might have? Or something I could get from a motorcycle shop thats not too big? I have some old dirt bike chains, but they seem too big.
Thanks for the help.

Rileyk

Jan 25, 2010
SLC UTAH
No, Its not the width, is the gap between teeth on the sprocket, the 410 goes about 4 links then comes off, it need bigger gap between links.?

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
No, Its not the width, is the gap between teeth on the sprocket, the 410 goes about 4 links then comes off, it need bigger gap between links.?
Riley,

I know it doesn't appear to be the width; but it is...both 410 and 415 chain have the same pitch. The 410 is narrower in-between the plates so a 410 chain will not fully seat on a 415 sprocket...this gives the impression that the pitch is wrong. The 410 chain is .125" between the plates...the 415 is .187". I make my 415 chain sprockets .165-.170" thick at the teeth. The 410 sprockets are .115".

PM your address, and I will send you a replacement sprocket that has been thinned down for 410 chain. This is becomming a fairly common thing...The Chinese keep me on my toes all the time with change-ups. I'm assuming you have a Grubee Kit?

Don't worry...the fix is on the way. I have Micargi sprockets for the 68 spoke wheels here at the shop...It takes less than 5 minutes to thin one down.

I wouldn't worry about the engine sprocket. If your kit came with 410 chain, then it will fit the engine sprocket.

Jim

Tad Bit Tipsy

Jan 2, 2010
Pensacola,FL
Jim's Sprockets are made for the 415 chain, no way around it. That I know of.
Order from Pirate, mine came in two days!!!
HD 415 Chain
You might be able to find one at a motorcycle shop, or hardware store. But the Pirate chains last me a long time even with as much strain as I put on them... heavy bike, rider, and wheels.
Good Luck!

Rileyk

Jan 25, 2010
SLC UTAH
WOW! thanks! Jim am I sending my address, is this something I could do myself? I would almost rather run the 415 for durability reasons, I am over 200lbs, would it be better to get a 415 instead off narrowing the sprocket? I am sure a 415 would fit in the drive sprocket, and yes, its a grubee:)
Let me know what ya all think.
thanks!

Sep 20, 2008
Clearwater, FL
web.tampabay.rr.com
WOW! thanks! Jim am I sending my address, is this something I could do myself? I would almost rather run the 415 for durability reasons, I am over 200lbs, would it be better to get a 415 instead off narrowing the sprocket? I am sure a 415 would fit in the drive sprocket, and yes, its a grubee:)
Let me know what ya all think.
thanks!
Riley,

The 415 chain offers 1/16" more engagement surface in the land of the sprocket...it will last longer.

The choice is entirely yours...it wouldn't be a bad idea to order the 415 chain...on the other hand there are plenty of guys using high quality 410 bicycle chain with no problems at all. The 410 chain will offer a bit more tire clearance on tight builds. No matter which route you decide to go, you will need to replace the kit chain. If you decide to stay with the 410, you'll need a good quality chain like RedB uses.

Jim

Gator Wrestler

Jan 22, 2009
Springfield LA
I like to use #40 chain. It works great on the builds I have used it on. I don't think it will fit the CG engines, not enough room around the sprocket. How much wider is the 420 chain?

chrisme

May 30, 2009
Maine
I use 420 chain on my bike. Same pitch as 415, just a tad wider. Not by a whole lot, just 2 or 3mm. I have been running it for most the life of the bike, and it has worked great!

fattboy

Jan 14, 2010
Los Angeles County
Riley,

The 415 chain offers 1/16" more engagement surface in the land of the sprocket...it will last longer.

The choice is entirely yours...it wouldn't be a bad idea to order the 415 chain...on the other hand there are plenty of guys using high quality 410 bicycle chain with no problems at all. The 410 chain will offer a bit more tire clearance on tight builds. No matter which route you decide to go, you will need to replace the kit chain. If you decide to stay with the 410, you'll need a good quality chain like RedB uses.

Jim
I am the happy recipient of one of Jim's great adapters and sprocket. The chain from my kit will not seat on it, so I assume it is a 410. I have no problem with buying a 415 chain but my (perhaps stupid) question is:

Do I need to replace the front sprocket if my kit came with a 410 chain and I change to a 415 chain? Or is the front sprocket so small in diameter (and teeth) that it doesn't matter?

I did a search and couldn't find an answer. Thanks.

Travis forte

Sep 21, 2018
I have the 80 c flying horse engine and my chain broke it was 415. I can't find the same chain and the only one I found was 420 will that work or do I need a different kind