Is there a difference between the skyhawk and the starfire

GoldenMotor.com

troyboy

Your East Coast Gasbike Connection
Apr 18, 2009
Wista ma
I am looking at the Grubee Starfire GT4 and the Grubee Skyhawk GT5. Both made by grubee both have the same displacement. Is there a difference??? Somebody Please!!

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
So yeah, pretty much the same....
Nah , there is a huge difference
The Skyhawk 66 cc GT5 looks the same as the PKs and does not have the squish band
machined in the combustion chamber
There is just a flat wide area on the edge of the combustion chamber and
a very big dome

The Starfire 66cc GT4 has a squish band and runs so much stronger than a PK or a GT5
Skyhawk

Forbisher

Dec 28, 2008
Orange County, CA.
BTW my starfire gt-2 was made from the Yuan Dong factory and thats why i thought the new starfire gt-4 would come from the same place but it doesnt help if the sites that sells them doesnt tell you s##t about where they come from.

i ask anyone thats thinks diffrent to post a link of a picture of the label side of a starfire gt-4 engine that states where it comes from.
I don't need to post a pic of the label side of a starfire gt-4 as I have a whole stack of them here and I know exactly what the tag says.
STARFIRE - GT4
Engine: 66cc- 2.85 hp
Nantong JiaLi Gas Engine Factory
The pictured Grubee 50 cc GEN II is made in the same Nantong JiaLi Gas engine factory
as the Starfire 66 cc GT4

Attachments

Last edited:

NunyaBidness

Jun 29, 2008
memphis tn
His quoted text is for the Starfire, the pic is of the gt4, so basically it is two different bits of info. He was informing you of both bits not trying to say it says one thing and post a pic of something else.
Hope that clears things up a bit.

Hot Dog Piggy Tails

Sep 11, 2008
Kelso Wa
No actually there is a big difference first is the match as far as the transfer ports then there is the Quality of the lower end Bearing (23 Needle verses 16 needle in a poorly Engineered cast)
The Nantong Jiali Manufacturer is known as the better if not the best engine manufacturer exporting these and have lost contracts with people Because they refuse to Mass produce cheap engines.

If you've replaced A starfire with a Jet your Stafire was probably a 48cc'er thats about the only ones left. Also the Starfire is the factory that your Jet was Manued at..And if it is is out of one of the First two shipments of Jet Engine they have lower end problems due to the fact a Customer I wont say no names but is actually thier competitor convinced them to use a Poorly casted Lower end Needle casing. They all need replaced. As a matter of fact the ones that are correct and Have 23 needles are still on thier way too them. I never received the 16K Needle bearing with the problem because I have the prints too it and refused to Allow them every order to put them on the bottom of my Connecting rod.

I deal with this factory and its Management Exporter and are very good friends talking at least once a week.

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
No actually there is a big difference first is the match as far as the transfer ports then there is the Quality of the lower end Bearing (23 Needle verses 16 needle in a poorly Engineered cast)
The Nantong Jiali Manufacturer is known as the better if not the best engine manufacturer exporting these and have lost contracts with people Because they refuse to Mass produce cheap engines.

If you've replaced A starfire with a Jet your Stafire was probably a 48cc'er thats about the only ones left. Also the Starfire is the factory that your Jet was Manued at..And if it is is out of one of the First two shipments of Jet Engine they have lower end problems due to the fact a Customer I wont say no names but is actually thier competitor convinced them to use a Poorly casted Lower end Needle casing. They all need replaced. As a matter of fact the ones that are correct and Have 23 needles are still on thier way too them. I never received the 16K Needle bearing with the problem because I have the prints too it and refused to Allow them every order to put them on the bottom of my Connecting rod.

I deal with this factory and its Management Exporter and are very good friends talking at least once a week.
It says it was manufactured on 7 2009. is that one of the bad ones? and yes it was a48 verry slow I baught the limited edition black one It def is a runner.wee.

Hot Dog Piggy Tails

Sep 11, 2008
Kelso Wa
Actually no you got the 23 needles your good to go. I am online with my Plant manager as we speak and the latest shipment which was July were the needles instead of the GR..I mean bad casted needle bearing case!

As far as your 48 cc Starfire goes Milling the Square part almost all the way (I went all the way) off the head is a compression boost it needs. Also using silicone on your intake to carb slide junction is the best performance tips I can give you.

I have that engine you have there but with the 8mm studs I finally got them to change to the bigger head studs, And Better paint for the exhaust, A little more ballanced crank, Lower Intake casting, and Higher exhaust port casting. You got a real performer though. Got to go Sir. Peace.

Last edited:

flybytaco

Metal Molding Madman
Oct 17, 2009
seekonk MASS
Actually no you got the 23 needles your good to go. I am online with my Plant manager as we speak and the latest shipment which was July were the needles instead of the GR..I mean bad casted needle bearing case!

As far as your 48 cc Starfire goes Milling the Square part almost all the way (I went all the way) off the head is a compression boost it needs. Also using silicone on your intake to carb slide junction is the best performance tips I can give you.

I have that engine you have there but with the 8mm studs I finally got them to change to the bigger head studs, And Better paint for the exhaust, A little more ballanced crank, Lower Intake casting, and Higher exhaust port casting. You got a real performer though. Got to go Sir. Peace.
the gen 2 steel sleeve starfire?? with 8 mm studs? or the jet? confused lol thanks

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
I just got a PK80-J this past tuesday.
I took it apart and it has the needles in the bottom end with no cage.

I take it there are 23 rollers in there.
Aswem the PK80-J rocks.

I'll have to post my teardown pics.

Riding Rich

Aug 14, 2009
pa
That was the motor i was supposed to get from GASBIKE.
They sent me a GT-2B all black and then only gave me $10.00 stor credit.
What a CROCK.

Wish i woulda got that engine instead of the mistake they made.

Kevron99

Aug 11, 2009
Howell, New Jersey
That was the motor i was supposed to get from GASBIKE.
They sent me a GT-2B all black and then only gave me $10.00 stor credit.
What a CROCK.

Wish i woulda got that engine instead of the mistake they made.
You should have bought it from Bicycle-Engines.com. Here is the site 50cc StarFire Gen II Phantom Edition Engine - $149.99.

I noticed with the GEN II-a has better head studs instead to the acorn. Also the clutch arm is much longer for better pulling. The intake manifold looks better quality. It comes with the new style Carbs (the one with fuel shut off lever)

I also have a 66/80 cc Skyhawk GT-5 and I think Starfire is way much better engine.

See the pics of Starfire head and manifold/clutch lever.

Attachments

turtle tedd

Jul 18, 2009
florida
210061741....Thanks for the info...Have a Grubee Starfire GT2 ...installed on my MB now with approx 500miles on it..was about to order another ( motor only ) as eventual replacement.....instead I ordered from Pirate Cycles..the 66/80cc J Kit