what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Toothy

Mar 25, 2014
San Diego
Looking fun Toothy, I see you got that fork steer tube figured out, glad that worked out for you! What did you end up doing with the steer tube and stem? I have a similar frame with a 1" steerer I might consider that fork for if you've got it figured out.

I just want to point out something unrelated I see there that can be a bit dangerous in case you don't know about it: Having a spring loaded chain tensioner on a coaster brake (pedal side) chain can cause all the slack in the chain to go to the top when you kick back to brake. That leaves you with a bunch of extra chain with nothing to take it up and it looks like you've got quite a bit of slack there. The forces in play on the chain are pretty big and depending on how it's all set up, you can throw the chain, bind it up, or even rip off the tensioner which can cause you other problems. Also makes for a delayed action when you do go to brake. Tensioners are totally safe on a freewheel or cassette hub, not so much on coaster brakes. Ideal situation is to get the pedal side chain with very little play in it, and take up the slack on the bottom of the drive side if you need to run a tensioner. I hope that helps you.
Thanks,
I ordered a 1” 160 mm threaded steerer tube and it was too short. I then ordered a 200 mm tube that was a little long and the threads were too far up to fit / sandwich the upper part of the stem assembly. I took it to my local bike shop and they cut some more 40 mm threads for me and it went together. I couldn’t find one in exactly the right length.
I got an additional shim because I bought the extra steerer tube so it is shimmed on both ends. I neglected to cut off the extra length as you can probably see in the pics but the ergonomics suite me fine as it is.
It rides really nicely now…butter. Oh and it stops better than ever with the new brake combo.

Last edited:

Quanah

Dec 13, 2008
Central, Illinois
Made a new air filter element from a piece of 1/2'' thick foam I had, and put it inside stock NT filter housing that I drilled seven 1/4'' holes into it's cover. Put motor oil on this new filter, squeezed the excess oil out, and it was good to go.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Still too busy at the shop to do anything more than look at mine.. I did get one of my motorcycles back together after doing an engine change on my Buell Blast... I'm hoping to ride it tomorrow if the battery is still good in it... This one will save me a lot on gas since it's powered by half a Harley Sportster engine, it can still do about 100 mph and handles like a dream so it's not too bad for a little 500cc single cylinder bike.
I'll be taking the motorized bicycle to the shop soon so I can work it when I have free time... Got a lot of welding to beef up the frame, then it'll need to be taken all the way apart for paint. I'm happy with how it looks and rides now but it still needs just a few extra mods before I'll trust it to go over 35mph

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Trial fitted the new seat today.
Managed to chip the paint duh.
OUCH I feel your pain bro..after spending ""top dollar for the paint products for a paint job on my 93 Mustang GT. The one and "ONLY TIME" I left it out over night someone stole my hook and every after market part I had under the hood stolen they scratched the shizzle out of the fenders I was sooo mad Bro I wrapped a fiberglass shovel around a light pole ..literally wrapped it around it when I took out my frustrations on the shovel and pole !

[/IMG]

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
at least I got a photo of the hood before they stole it !!! I'm still checking crai8gslist !
the saddest day was when the cable locks that go on the hood locks I personally drilled in & installed finally came in the mail 2 weeks overdue just to ad insult to injury I guess

This is what makes me think Karma is screwed up because I've never EVER stolen anything from any one ..Not yet anyways!! the tables may turn

Last edited:

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Lately I have just been riding, but Sunday me and my little "helpers" removed both brake levers and replaced them with a single Dual Pull Lever. Then removed the old falling apart throttle and replaced with a SBP HD Throttle.

Had some trouble with my carb/throttle but today I got that all squared away. Took it for a 3 mile spin and put her away til after the work day

So bike's good, life's good, as my 2 yr old would say "saw goood" haha

Last edited:

woogie_man

Aug 9, 2013
Fargo, ND
Been working on a list for this winter. Have the bike where I want it, but want it another and bullet proof.

Been spending a ton of time on dax again.

Rudz

Jun 24, 2014
Tyler TX
I replaced the bolts on my drive gear with stainless bolts, nuts and lock washers.

I installed my Cygolite Hotshot on the rear.

Installed my Ibera rack and Ibera quick disconnect pack.

Made a run, it was fine but the new fuel filter is at a wierd angle so it's starving the carburetor. I have the stock filter but it leaks. I'm going to have to use the leaky filter until I get a new one. At least the leaky one feeds correctly.

DaveC

Jul 14, 2010
Boise, ID
Been working with my eye doctor, finding the right focal length for bifocal lenses so I can weld. I can't see what's happening in the puddle so it makes for bad welds and with putting a Morini motor on the bike I want my welds to be the best I can do. Still debating on wither to go pusher or conventional mount on the bike, pusher cuts out a *lot* of legal entanglements even though there's no problems in Boise. So many motorized bikes here now the cops don't even blink when they see one :)

Hawaiikelly

Aug 23, 2014
Big Island
Rode the bike and also made my iPhone mount nicer so my speedometer app was more visable. And paid for the app so I got the extra features. Well worth it!

knightscape

Jul 29, 2013
Maine
Installed scooter style mirrors before my commute this morning, I really liked being able to see if someone's coming up behind since I cruise up a road where cars are few and far between but the ones that do come are going about 60mph.

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Woke up to two flat tires, pumped them up and the front is holding (it was getting a little low yesterday anyway) but the back only held air for 20 minutes or so. So yeah, I guess that will be my day's to-do list. Buy two new tubes, replace the rear, see how the front holds up for a few miles and replace that one if needed too.

I also need to buy some replacement spokes, built an easy truing stand out of a bike frame this week. I have never trued a wheel before but it looks pretty straightforward, but man am I having trouble figuring out the size/type spokes I need. And my local shops carry no 12g spokes

============-----------==============

AWWW! look at that face! LOL at "saw good"! just awesome Cyclin.
Thanks bud. She is my world. Such a little punk lol, and she LOVES working on the bikes with me. Right now she is at the "tap on the tire with a crescent wrench" stage, but she's actually getting better at handing me the right tool when I ask :)

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Was able to take a short ride this evening ---- was the first time in about 3 weeks. Was just as good as I remembered!! :D

Hawaiikelly

Aug 23, 2014
Big Island
I'm lucky I live in the country and have a nice 5 mile loop with very little traffic so I went out and did that. Then came home and repaired some rubbing areas. A little fun and a little work. Perfect for the end of the Labor Day holiday!

MikeSSS

May 15, 2012
San Antonio, TX
Rode 9.6mi, half in rain. Bike has a Straton friction drive, RS engine and Gotham tires. FD worked in the rain if I pedaled and did not use too much power. The RS got me about 14 mph, much faster than pedaling alone.

9.6 mi at 114 mpg.