what did you do to your motorized bicycle today?

GoldenMotor.com

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Big G that sounds awesome. Someday I hope to have your skills. Sorry to hear about your customer service issues tho, people are so rude. Especially since it was the companies fault not your own.

Today I didn't do much to my ride except crash it. First crash I have had motor-bicycling.

You know those blue barrels filled with cement, weighing around 400 lbs? Well as I was pulling into work I saw a bunch and decided to ride between two of them. At the last second I noticed there was a steel cable spanning between them and got clotheslined from my ride at 35mph. (which in itself is awesome cause that means I have brought this build from 19mph to 35mph in the last few weeks :) ) When I crashed I pulled two of those barrels down with me so you know I hit HARD.

Luckily my bike is fine, just a few scratches from what I can see. I survived with a dented left arm, aching knee, messed up right hand and a little ankle pain. The hand part is my least favorite since I work with computers/lasers, so my index finger and thumb are my main tools! But yeah, overall it was still a great ride, bike ran smooth, and meds kicked in so I feel pretty dang good. And lucky it was so minor it could've been much worse

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Big G that sounds awesome. Someday I hope to have your skills. Sorry to hear about your customer service issues tho, people are so rude. Especially since it was the companies fault not your own.

Today I didn't do much to my ride except crash it. First crash I have had motor-bicycling.

You know those blue barrels filled with cement, weighing around 400 lbs? Well as I was pulling into work I saw a bunch and decided to ride between two of them. At the last second I noticed there was a steel cable spanning between them and got clotheslined from my ride at 35mph. (which in itself is awesome cause that means I have brought this build from 19mph to 35mph in the last few weeks :) ) When I crashed I pulled two of those barrels down with me so you know I hit HARD.

Luckily my bike is fine, just a few scratches from what I can see. I survived with a dented left arm, aching knee, messed up right hand and a little ankle pain. The hand part is my least favorite since I work with computers/lasers, so my index finger and thumb are my main tools! But yeah, overall it was still a great ride, bike ran smooth, and meds kicked in so I feel pretty dang good. And lucky it was so minor it could've been much worse
Things like that happen often here in Texas to us country boys, best way to know when one of us is fixing to get hurt like that is when you hear someone say " Hey.. Ya'll watch this...!" ya know a Red Neck is fixing to bleed or get busted up in some way....LOL!

Main thing here is just glad you're OK, that could have been real ugly!

Map

Cyclin

Jul 4, 2011
California
Things like that happen often here in Texas to us country boys, best way to know when one of us is fixing to get hurt like that is when you hear someone say " Hey.. Ya'll watch this...!" ya know a Red Neck is fixing to bleed or get busted up in some way....LOL!

Main thing here is just glad you're OK, that could have been real ugly!

Map
Yeah it could've been way worse. Luckily my jacket helped and I was wearing gloves so most of the damage was minimized. Woke me up faster than coffee thats for sure haha.

And yup it happened right when I decided "Oh hey that looks like fun". I actually just rode her home on lunch and she made it no problems, although I will need to replace the mirror that shattered in the crash. Drove the car back from lunch, even those low vibrations on the ride home were killer on my aches.

If I get around to it today I will be cleaning my old DAX RT carb and installing it. Will have to tune in over the weekend wen my hand feels a bit better but I'm excited to get back to work on it :)

dance1

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
excellent.... Yeah I have a few thing that have to be done this weekend but I plan to do some much needed work on one of my bikes and some tinkering on two others if time permits. gonna put a new top end on one engine and I made a deal today to meet a fella tomorrow and Im gonna buy two full suspension mountain bikes from him for $30 each, I dont care a thing about the frames but they both uave many other parts and pieces I can use.

map

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Glad to hear you're ok after that crash... I know exactly what you mean by seeing something and thinking "this looks like fun" .. or Hey everybody... Watch This" ... Anyway, glad you're ok and the bike is still ok.

Good deal on the mountainbikes Map... You think like I do... I'm not interested in the bikes, but look at all those good parts I can harvest from them... lol

For me, I got my Girvin Noleen front end installed on mine and since it's a trailing axle type fork, the back of the front tire is about an inch further back than it was with the original suspension fork and the tire just rubs on my expansion chamber pipe so I'm going to cut about 3/4" section out of the header and weld it back up so I'll have my tire clearance back.
Also, my Morini Dual Variated engine came in today so I'll be looking for a large frame bike to put it in and was thinking about that large aluminum frame 29er that Walmart sells, but I'll have to get some measurements before I buy, it also came with a genuine Dellorto SHA 14 14 carb so I may take my CNS carb off the HT engine and see how the Dellorto does on it, then if it works good I'll keep it on there and buy the 21mm manifold and carb for the Morini engine since I'll be upgrading it with the 70cc kit before I install it in anything.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Just a quick word on this Morini engine I got from Treatland... When it got here it was very well packaged so it seemed like forever I was cutting thru tape, cardboard, foam, and bubble wrap before I saw there was an engine somewhere in there... A+ on the packaging.
The engine it's self, I was wondering about since there's very little info on the net about this one and Treatland is the only place I've seen one for sale... at least a complete one that's not missing a lot of parts... I was wondering if these were new or new old stock etc, but they're rebuilt so the bottom ends look nice and new but the cylinder and head looks like it's over 30 years old, but in excellent condition, I removed the clutch cover and it has brand new variators and a new belt so no worries there.
this thing does have some size and width compared to a China Girl so it definitely won't be replacing my HT engine in that bike, but I may buy another cruiser with a large frame or a steel frame mountainbike that I can cut out the lower tube and make one that'll cradle this engine. this project I'll spend more time on the assembly since modifying a frame looks mandatory, but I'll take lots of pics on the way and start a thread to post progress as I go.

Allen_Wrench

Resident Mad Scientist
Feb 6, 2010
Indianapolis
Didn't do much more to ol' Tempus except ride it. But if I can at all manage it, at the next income tax refund I plan to pick up a "donor" motorcycle to work on and plan my three-wheel cyclecar project around. A vintage Honda 350 or 400 twin would be perfect given the torque and horsepower they have for their size and weight.
Reason for 3-wheel car project: age and pain. I wasn't a spring chicken when I had my accident in 2010. I can pedal a standard bicycle for about ten minutes before my knee and hip become unbearable. With a motorbike, since I only needed to pedal from start or very slow speeds, I usually could ride much further and longer. But lately, even pedaling from a start on level ground sends twinges of pain up my leg after about the third or fourth down stroke. I take Tylenol before rides now, and I'm concerned about needing to.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
I know that feeling all too well with my bad back and then I totally ruined my left ankle about 2 years ago falling off a ladder at work... I have to walk with a cane now and when I ride I have one of those folding canes I carry with me so I can walk around when I get off the bike.
As for pedaling, it's pretty much out for me... maybe enough to bump start a bike, but I put a pull starter on mine just in case I'm too sore to even do that. I do get some strange looks when I pull up and get off my bike, then unfold my cane so I can walk around, but at least I can still ride.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Last night I wrapped my exhaust (4 stroke, flex pipe). Ordered 5 feet of it from treatland, turned out to be just enough to wrap the section of pipe closest to my leg. Also working on a dual pull lever with built-in brake light switch. Stupidly broke the lever that came with it trying to bend it and it snapped in half like a twig, so I modified a kit clutch lever to fit. Gotta epoxy where the notch in the lever was for the pin lock so it trips the brake light switch, but besides that it's good to go. Gives about an inch and a half of pull, so pretty good.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I went to Kmart and they had jb plastic weld on clearance for $1.50, so I grabbed some of that for my brake lever. I had to wait for a storm to pass, so just getting to it now. It takes a couple hours to cure, so I'm letting it sit and after it cures I'll adjust my brake cable. Once it's set, the lever should trip the brake light switch, so I'll have to wire that up as well.

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
The plastic epoxy starts to set in about 20-25 minutes. I put it on about a half hour ago, so I decided to go and gently just check and see if it hits the brake light switch, and it does. So now I'm gonna go play a video game till it cures, then adjust my brake cable and wire up the switch. Love it when a plan comes together, lol.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Don't get me wrong......I really like JB Weld in certain applications. However, using it on a brake lever would scare the JuJu outa me!

Be careful out there. And good luck!

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
I'm not using the jb weld structurally, I only needed it to fill in so the lever would trip the brake light switch. The jb weld does not in any way add to or repair the integrity of the lever. The lever is fully intact and functional other than not being able to trip the brake light switch. I did not use it to repair the broken lever, that's in the trash. I simply used a different lever.

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
I'm not using the jb weld structurally, I only needed it to fill in so the lever would trip the brake light switch. The jb weld does not in any way add to or repair the integrity of the lever. The lever is fully intact and functional other than not being able to trip the brake light switch. I did not use it to repair the broken lever, that's in the trash. I simply used a different lever.

Gotcha!! A 1960's quote came to mind when I read your initial post.....

"Danger, Will Robinson!!" :D

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Yeah, I'd never be so dumb as to try to fix a broken brake lever with epoxy. Weld or braze, maybe, but since I had an extra lever in a box of parts, I figured just use that instead. Not to mention I don't have any welding or brazing equipment, nor access to any.

Davezilla

Mar 15, 2014
San Antonio Texas
Been a few days since I've even had time to mess with mine but last time I messed with it I got my Noleen front end assembled and installed, the bike really looked cool with it on there but I had to take off my exhaust pipe and find a way to make it clear the front wheel since it was hitting the pipe when I tried to turn the front wheel to the right.
I was going to cut a pie slice out of one of the bends and re weld it but I tried heating it up and bending it in a vise which worked out well without distorting or kinking the pipe at the bend. I reinstalled the pipe and it clears now so now it's time to mix up a batch of fuel and take it for a test ride and fine tune the new front suspension

greaser_monkey_87

Mar 30, 2014
USA
Been using a tire generator to charge my battery via a scooter rectifier, but I just fried my 3rd one. I thought a few times about buying the 12v generator coil from wonderful creations on ebay, but it's $45 and I can't afford it. Also it's designed for a 2 stroke and I have a 4 stroke, so I decided to do some digging and found this: http://www.ebay.com/itm/Honda-GX160...Parts_Accessories&hash=item4d0e6d02f8&vxp=mtr it's for a Honda gx, but I'm sure there is a way to make it fit my 98cc flathead. It's 3 amps, so it should give plenty of power for my electrical system, my headlight draws less than half an amp, my tail light about the same, my brake light draws 2.25 amps, so even if all 3 ran at the same time, it's still 3 amps or less. My battery is a 1.2ah, so it should charge fine. Heck, with a genny coil I probably don't even really need a battery. But I'm gonna keep it anyway.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
only issue I see is that it may be to big in length, those coils are for working inside of a bigger flywheel than those smaller engine, but hopefully Im wrong about that and it will work fine for you if your flywheel has the magnets inside for it.

map