Best REAR WHEEL for motor bikes

GoldenMotor.com

Sprae

Apr 12, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Should I have a bicyclist re-spoke my stock rear wheel or should I get a brand nu rear wheel. Keeping price in mind, I dont wanna spend 2 or $300 on a wheel... But i do wanna be safe. And suggestions? I wanna just call Manic Mechanic and ask him for a flat rate to hook me up as I do wanna get the sproket adater setup he has.

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
Worksman wheels are popular as they're rugged and well priced, getting a double walled rim and having it laced to your hub is another option - much depends on what type hub/brake setup you've got/want ofc.

Ballpark cost? Outa be able to do both rims fer about $100ish - more or less depending on whatcha want/can get naturally, should you just buy an entire new wheelset it's gonna cost more (about double).

Much of the problems with the rear wheel stems from the stock sprocket adapter (clamped to 1/2 the spokes only), so you've the right idea with replacing it. Not all "mountain bike" rims are the same, if it's a single walled aluminum - replace them if ya can, keep a dang close eye on 'em if ya cant ;)

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
"Best" is a relative term. What is your bike and the rear wheel it has now? Braking setup? My bikes are all single speed with coaster brakes. First choice would be Worksman, as close to motorcycle as you'll find. I have a couple bikes running heavy duty rims from bikeworlusa which are sturdy but not well finished off and the chrome is so so, but the price is right. Rear wheel is available with either coaster or free wheel. I recently bought a set of heavy duty Weinman rims which are double walled alloy with 12 gauge spokes. They cost a bit more than the bikeworldusa ones and are finished off in black, chromed spokes. Husky are supposed to be quite good, but I haven't used them myself. I believe RB66 uses them on his builds now. A drum brake is available for the Husky front wheel. These are heavy duty thick spoked wheels. In price, Worksman are most expensive, then probably the Husky if you get the drum brake version, then Weinman and finally the ones from Bikeworldusa. If you store the bike inside a garage and pay attention to keeping the wheels dried off after wet rides, the last ones mentioned are a good value for the money, quite strong. On that set I have a sprocket adapter from Jim and it is a nice ride. I hope this helps a little. I'm no expert on wheels. I should also mention that the Weinman wheels had some burs inside the rim where holes had been drilled and which I cleaned up with the dremel tool. Other than that they seem to be really nice.
SB

Sprae

Apr 12, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Great info everyone, except the mountian bike guy... LOL

I think I'm go with the Husky, What's the deal with this "doubled walled" business? Should the rim come pre-doubled-walled?

Here's the link for the Rims from Husky I'm think I'm gonna purchase

REAR Wheel: BICYCLE WHEEL 26X2.125 WITH SHIMANO COASTER BRAKE 12-G SPOKES: Husky Bicycles

Front Wheel: Wheel, 26x2.125 Front (HD-105), steel rim: Husky Bicycles

What kinda set up do I need for Drum brakes?
Sturmey Archer DRUM BRAKE HUB 26" FRONT WHEEL WITH DRUM BRAKE HUB: Husky Bicycles

Does hub mean a place to put the drum brake or does it come with a drum brake?

Thanks for all help...

Oh yea I'm building bike from stratch So I dont have brakes yet...

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
A "double wall rim" is a rim with more than one layer so it's reinforced & thus the strongest, here's a cutaway view;

A good single wall will at least have reinforced edges like this;

But most cheapo rims don't even have that :(

A drum brake is inside the hub (where the axle is) think like the back brakes in many older cars, so yeah as it's part of the wheel it better come with it lol, but a band brake is mounted to the outside of the hub (but many call it a drum) so that may or may not be included. Depending on what yer building ya may even wanna go disk...

Ya got a bike style/type in mind yet? Chopper, cruiser, mountain bike - other?

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
RB66 would know better than me, but the Husky front wheel he's using comes with the drum brake as part of the wheel. I have a worksman with a drum brake and it is one good brake. Those are they only two heavy duty wheels I know of which can be purchased in a drum brake version. If there are others, I'd like to know about them, too. I like the way drum brakes look, but I'm partial to vintage cruisers and with them the drum brakes are just "right". With a drum brake you have a cable and hand brake lever just like you would with caliper brakes... pretty simple and foolproof, no pads to buy, etc. Disc brakes have the best stopping power of any, so I am told. I have never used one. Good luck and post pictures as you go. Sounds like you're off to a good start. A strong frame and sound wheels are the foundation of a good build, in my opinion. Mostly, have fun!
SB

RedB66

Dec 28, 2007
Sunshine State
Some "Same" info and some "New".....

These rims a pretty stout.
Basic 12ga wheelset...Wheels - Heavy Duty 26 x 2.125 Wheel Set | BikeWorldUSA | Bicycle Parts and Bike Accessories

Husky brand..Wheels: Husky Bicycles
Husky also carries the 11ga. (same as Worksman) but in my opinion the 11ga are kinda overkill and heavy!!

Niagra (double wall)..Weinmann DH-39 Alloy HD Rear Wheel Coaster Brake 26" / 36H 12G SS Black/Black

The Husky ones use the Shimanno CB110. Jim (Manic) is familiar with that hub.

Last edited:

Sprae

Apr 12, 2010
Raleigh,NC
I think I will go with the husky, seeing as my very next move was getting something Manic Mechanic would be familiar with so I could order all items at the same time. So I will go with the

Husky brand:

REAR: BICYCLE WHEEL 26X2.125 WITH SHIMANO COASTER BRAKE 12-G SPOKES
Bicycle Wheel: 26x2.125 Rear with Coaster Brake
Rim: 26x2.125 steel chrome plated 36-hole
Hub: Shimano E-110 coaster brake with 21T sprocket kit
Spokes: 12-gauge UCP

FRONT: 26" FRONT WHEEL WITH DRUM BRAKE HUB
Bicycle Wheel: 26 x 2.125 wheel w/ Sturmey Archer model XFD aluminum drum brake hub
Spokes: 12-guage UCP spokes and the rim is chrome plated steel.
complete brake cable and housing, adjusting hanger/barrel, brake arm strap, and axle nuts.

Oh yeah here's a pic. Gonna add a 4 stroke 49cc HS to it, will be here tomorrow so Then I gotta get holes drilled for my steel mounting plate, 1/4, 4.5" x 7.5", I got the rest planed out just need a good rear wheel brake and I dont wanna go with disc. It's a iphone pic, will take better ones this weekend

THANKS Yall!!!
laff

Attachments

Last edited:

Sprae

Apr 12, 2010
Raleigh,NC
Riddle me this Batman(s),

What tires are heavy duty enough? I look through husky and they don't make a point to stress the durability of their tires... Is that because it's a no-brainer to purchase their tires. If not I want something that meant to be stressed, as I don't plan on stressing it.

Last edited: