HELP! WIRING in a YZ80 CDI ignition to my 66cc china

GoldenMotor.com

Daniels

Jun 17, 2016
Wisconsin outside MKE
Ok, new here. HI.

Now. I stole an ignition box (early 80s yz80 box???) and how do I describe them... two little dangly things that look like coils (but there's two of them and narrower than our coils, no provision for a plug wire to exit) off my brothers YZ80 frame that was laying behind the garage. Now I tried wiring it in without the two coil looking doodads and it ran but not great, and then I wired in those two little coil things then it ran a lot better but I still feel like there could be a lot more... anyone know the proper way I should go about wiring this????
I'm just guessing and I can't find it I can't find it anywhere online. Right now it's wired in with the two coil looking guys and then the orange and black wires running into the main coil that came with the kit (no China CDI box in there obv) plus the Hitachi CDI box off the Yamaha.

Pic is of same looking box, and for sh!tsngiggles my ride on test day w China box not yz box

Six Wires are Black, B+W, W+R, Red, Orng, Tan

Box says:
Hitachi TIA01-26
2x6-10

No pic of little coil guys but they take in/out the Red, W+R, and Tan... as I recall

Attachments

Last edited:

Venice Motor Bikes

Custom Builder / Dealer/Los Angeles
Mar 20, 2008
Los Angeles, CA.
There might be someone out there who can figure out how to make it work, but it's gonna be difficult.

Years ago (before any of these aftermarket CDIs for our bikes existed), I tried to figure out how to use a motorcycle CDI... (Neither I nor anyone else here was able to get it to work).

I don't want to squash your wanting to try something different, but there are plenty of powerful aftermarket CDIs availablefor these engines that are very inexpensive. (the one I prefer is only $20).

Just some food for thought. :)

Daniels

Jun 17, 2016
Wisconsin outside MKE
Believe it or not I've actually got it running and it runs stronger than the Chinese box but I'm only guessing on the wiring and I suspect it might run even better if I just had some clue as to what's going on.

Daniels

Jun 17, 2016
Wisconsin outside MKE
(With a 44T rear) The YZ improved top speed (gps) from 30 to now 35 mph. I'm actually wondering if I can get a little more speed and RPM by raising the exhaust Port by 1 millimeter as well. Plug seems to run very clean (irridium).

Last edited:

Daniels

Jun 17, 2016
Wisconsin outside MKE
You know how I figured out if I was getting spark right? Knowing if my wire swapping was makin a difference?

Change some wires around... plug out... hold plug... pedal... pop clutch for a few revs...
If it HURT... I found the wiring.

Even still I'd love to hear from somebody that's taken a CDI out of like a dirt bike and how they managed to wire it up.....

zpt

dance1

dnut

Last edited:

Daniels

Jun 17, 2016
Wisconsin outside MKE
Venice motorbikes I have a question do any of your ignition run a retard in the upper RPMs like the Jaguars are supposed to because obviously I'm running high compression and I'm going to flog this motor and get the most out of this that I can, but running a good ignition is going to be part of it. I don't need to be melting Pistons and like i said the YZ ignition has been a marked improvement but I think there might be more left in that ignition just knowing the proper wiring sequence, weather or not I need those two coil looking doodads (seems like it.. but why ��) and maybe even the YZ CDI, although better, it isn't proper for what I'm running right now either, it's early 80's tech...

Last edited: