Hello from Northeastern China

GoldenMotor.com

swehtt

Nov 2, 2008
Liaoning, China
Can't really say I have a project. It's more a ridiculously overpriced, cultural revolution bike with (after checking out some forums) what seems to be a BGF engine installed on it. Me and 4 other guys are on a quest to get our bikes to stop breaking before we join up with other teams to make a 340km trip to Dandong next May.

So far it's not looking too good but I'm pretty sure we can figure these things out.

Suggestions and luck are welcome

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
I send you my best wishes. You are in the home of the bike engines aren't you. Good luck you should be able to get it working and once you do, they seem to be pretty dependable. At least mine was while I rode it.

I don't have it any more but the man who does seems to have good luck with it.

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Can't really say I have a project. It's more a ridiculously overpriced, cultural revolution bike with (after checking out some forums) what seems to be a BGF engine installed on it. Me and 4 other guys are on a quest to get our bikes to stop breaking before we join up with other teams to make a 340km trip to Dandong next May.

So far it's not looking too good but I'm pretty sure we can figure these things out.

Suggestions and luck are welcome
What are you having a problem with? We'll help if we can> How are these kits,engine, sprocket, and other things needed to install it on a bike, sold in China?? What do you call them? How many factories make these little engines? Are they all the same?Happy Hills & Trails Walter F.

swehtt

Nov 2, 2008
Liaoning, China
Deacon, cheers for the wishes. I'm sure we'll get it all worked out.

Walter

Ah, what aren't we having problems with. 2 engines seized today on our way back from getting gas. And after checking out a few English pages on these bikes I can see why. Our main problems seem to sprout from the rear engine mount bolts that snap and must be drilled out of the block. This has happened about 6 times.

We got our stuff all pre assembled by some guy on the side of the road. They all have these tanks with cute white rabbits on them. You can find photos here. None of us are skilled in Chinese and it was all arranged by the guy in charge of the race. Getting stuff fixed can be fun due to the language barrier and cheap parts.

I have been told the engines are sold in kits but seeing how our tanks are old and dented, I can't see them being new and included in these kits. Where we are situated now there isn't any place to buy the kits or parts but with the demand we're creating the short mechanic guy will probably start stocking them if he doesn't start refusing to help us fix them. Engines and tanks seem to all be the same. Apparently the box kits sell for about 500rmb which is about 75USD. I'm sure you could get them cheaper as we get laughed at for the price we paid for the bikes by every Chinese person that asks and we even lie by 33%. 1500 for the whole setup which is ridiculous as the bikes are about 30 years old. When you want to ride in style...

Ilikeabikea

Jan 27, 2008
Ptown, Texas
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us. I had a couple of back bolts break too. M y front mount was not substanial enough. It was letting the engine shake. I made the front mount a little heavier duty and have no trouble since..............

Walter F.

Jun 4, 2008
Connecticut
Hey SWEHTT, breaking the rear studs is common here also. How is the rear sprocket mounted to the wheel/ Do you live in China or just visiting? Happy Hills & Trails Walter F.

Pablo

Master Bike Builder & Forum Sponsor
Dec 28, 2007
Duvall, WA PNW
www.sickbikeparts.com
Good to hear from you. Perhaps you can contact someone in Shanghai (or even Hong Kong) to get at least a little better quality studs. I know when I was in those areas, it was (remotely) possible by 2005 to get better hardware than say even 2000.

ibcnya

Oct 29, 2008
Concord NC
Hey SWEHTT, breaking the rear studs is common here also. How is the rear sprocket mounted to the wheel/ Do you live in China or just visiting? Happy Hills & Trails Walter F.
What are the sizes on the studs that break often? Arp makes good high quality bolts and studs for cars. The ones availible for a honda intake manifold may work on these engines. Only i do not know the size of the studs.....anybody know?

swehtt

Nov 2, 2008
Liaoning, China
Welcome to the forum, glad you joined us. I had a couple of back bolts break too. M y front mount was not substanial enough. It was letting the engine shake. I made the front mount a little heavier duty and have no trouble since..............
Thanks. We're looking into getting a team set of beefy front mounts. Anything will be better than what is currently on there.

swehtt

Nov 2, 2008
Liaoning, China
I'll try to remember to get a decent picture of the rear sprocket. My skills of description fail at this moment. I'm living in China for a couple years at least. Happy trails indeed...the local hills require a definite kick of manpower. I suppose bikes are for excercise.

What results have getting a smaller sprocket given? I'm guessing increased speed but also a lot more pedalling to start.

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Take some flat steel as wide as the motor mount holes, a vice and a drill measure the motor holes drill the steel, bend the steel in the vise to lay flat on the frame past the bottom of the motor and use two u type muffler clamps to go the frame. 6 mm bolts for the motor. Welcome to the forum (c)

michaelbeans

Nov 2, 2008
China
YO, Jin TO the Lu! I hear that The Golden Dear are gonna clean up on this ride. Nicely done.

We've got a small night ride section to deal with and I'm checking into light sources, I saw some posts about LED's and such, so I'm gonna try that out.

As for that new air intake you want, I also saw some pics here. I'll send it to you.

Countdown to the race is Tminus5 weeks. So just a few more weekend rides and we're at it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I'll try to remember to get a decent picture of the rear sprocket. My skills of description fail at this moment. I'm living in China for a couple years at least. Happy trails indeed...the local hills require a definite kick of manpower. I suppose bikes are for excercise.

What results have getting a smaller sprocket given? I'm guessing increased speed but also a lot more pedalling to start.
A smaller rear sprocket will result in a lower RPM at cruise, and a slightly higher top speed. less torque to pull you up hills being the penalty.