hmmm, not sure, what do you think?

GoldenMotor.com

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
is it cool or redic (as the kids say)

ive got this big ol tank laying around and I was wondering what to do with it. One advantage is I can go to the pump and fill it if I have some oil on me.
Just poking around to see if it looks ok

what do you, John Q Motorbikerider, think?

Last edited:

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
I'd say that I like it more than I dislike it. There are just a few proportions that don't quite suit my tastes. But it's not like it's a bad looking tank.

And I'll bet you can make the changes you'd need in order to get the proportions just right for you. Like the fork you mentioned.

On balance, I'd say it has possibilities.

thxcuz

Jul 26, 2012
St.louis
I like it... I'd drop the bars on it though...it's cafe up until the front end...then looks "off" to me.
front end is totally off, I agree. if I go with this I will likely got for a triple tree fork (do they make them with 7 1/2 inch steering tubes?) and different bars

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
Also, what color? Green like the rest of the bike or black like the seat?
I'd just flip the bars, so they look more like clubmans on similar to a cafe racer...

For paint? Your bike reminds me of a BMW (Larger tank) which meets the seat near the mid-line...whereas most cafe styles have the tank and seat lines on the same level/plane...

Kind of like this:

or

vs. something in line like this:

or

since the tank sits far lower than the seat... I think it would be important to either keep the seat/tank in a common color scheme (Black), or you could create the allusion of that line by painting the tank a different color, but starting up higher so that it's in-line with the seat... Just a few thoughts.

Good luck!

bluegoatwoods

Jul 29, 2012
Central Illinois
Interesting thoughts, brassneck. It's safe to assume you've given some consideration to bikes of this type before, huh?

I'm curious about that red Honda. Is that a CX 550 engine on a cafe racer? That's an engine I haven't seen or thought about in a long time. So long, in fact, that I wonder a bit if the "CX" is the right designation. I think it is.

Brassneck

Oct 30, 2015
Seattle, WA
Interesting thoughts, brassneck. It's safe to assume you've given some consideration to bikes of this type before, huh?
Ya, I'm a bit of a cafe/tracker nut... pretty much spent most my adult life on motorcycles, and the last two years building one. :)

I'm on my way to getting another built...this time a board tracker (But am limited with space right now). Hence my joining this forum and starting to build my first bike here... in my basement no less!

I'm curious about that red Honda. Is that a CX 550 engine on a cafe racer? That's an engine I haven't seen or thought about in a long time. So long, in fact, that I wonder a bit if the "CX" is the right designation. I think it is.
The Red Honda is indeed a CX500... I have a buddy that has one he wants me to help build into a cafe, and I almost pulled the trigger on one for myself a few months back to build into something like that Red one... They're great reliable bikes (shaft drive)...but not as plentiful (parts-wise) as other models are...and to do it right means to do a lot of fab work...which I'm not apposed, but lack the space, currently.