Help! totally confused.

GoldenMotor.com

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
So, i recently had my chain break on my motor and they guy i bought it from had a regular 1/8 bmx chain on it and im guessing thats why it broke. So i got a 415 chain, it was a little long i took 3 links off and it fits perfect (without the tension-er, i dont know if that is necessary.) So Long story short, I figured out today that there is a little rod and a ball that goes in the middle of the motor sproket? When i took the Covor plate off nothing fell out and i dont remember anything ever being in there, but now that i have the new chain on , the clutch cable wont tighten and i cant get it to move. can anyone help?

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
yes, both rod & ball must be there - time to sweep your work area with a magnet to find them

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
The rod and ball bearing are critical parts of the clutch actuator. Without them the clutch will always be engaged no matter how tight you make the cable. If/when you find or replace them they must be well lubricated with bearing grease along with the cam in the cover.

Good luck.

Tom

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
I dont know how i lost them, thats weird, were can i get new ones? preferably online, because im far from alot of stuff like that were i live.

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
thats pricey? mabie you could show me were i should get it? oh and my other question was, do i need to have the tensioner on for the motor to work good? because the chain only fits without the tensoiner.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
It's a 8 mm or 5/16" ball bearing.
Ace hardware had them for under $1 , I don't remember the exact price......

Are you sure that the ball bearing isn't still in the hole stuck in some grease?

I use a telescoping magnet to pull them out.

You could make your own bucking bar out of 5/16" bar stock or an old drill bit.

CycleTyrant

Chain Yanker
Aug 10, 2013
Tampa, FL
Thanks guys, i really appreciate all of the help. hopefully there will be no problems after this one because Ive been doing more work then riding since i got it. Is the tensioner needed for the bike to run properly?

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
Thanks guys, i really appreciate all of the help. hopefully there will be no problems after this one because Ive been doing more work then riding since i got it. Is the tensioner needed for the bike to run properly?
Many run without a tensioner, as long as you can get the chain aligned and adjusted with correct tension you will be good.

Search search on the topic you'll come up with many results concerning the idler/tensioner.

Map

fatdaddy

May 4, 2011
San Jose, Ca.
I mainly use it to keep the chain up off of the frame. if the chain doesn't rub the frame andeverything is aligned properly and it works for you, leave it alone.

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
The tensioner assembly is an 'optional' component. Some builds need it (A couple of mine do just to be sure the chain doesn't hit the chainstay) and some don't.

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
To clear the frame and to be able to use the fat rear tire that comes on the Switchblade, the engine needs to be off-set to the left 9/16" from center. That will allow you to not use a tensioner. There is at least 2" of horizontal adjustment in the rear drop outs which should provide ample chain tension adjustment.

The drawing the OP posted shows that the engine is not only cocked in the frame, which alone will cause chain derailment problems, but is also mounted in the center of the frame at the seat tube.

The Switchblade, like several other chopper style bikes, is a unique frame that requires some special work to achieve a successful and reliable bike. Yes, you can simply throw an engine on one and get it to ride but you'll probably end up with the problems this man is having with his. Just saying.

Tom

Will122391

May 31, 2013
Texas
You can also make bucking bars if you buy a 8mm wide bolt and cut it to be 28mm long. The chain tensioner is optional. If you have the abilities to get your chain tightened and aligned without it, go for it. A tensioner is just one more thing that you have to deal with.