Summer Job Build Thread

GoldenMotor.com

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
Hello everyone! This summer I have planned to build and sell motorbikes for some easy cash. I am not the kind of person to constantly update a thread with everything I do, so I am only going to post when I finish a bike, and will update the post when I sell the corresponding bike. I really don't care how much of a profit I make on these bikes, as long as I break even at least. I enjoy building them, and want to produce affordable bikes that will get more people involved in our passion.

Here is my first build:

Bike: Its a huffy cranbrook.. I took apart all the bearings (and the coaster brake), cleaned them out, and repacked them with quality grease.

Engine: Black flaming horse kit from EngineOnlineShop. I am very pleased with the quality of the engine, but I can't say the same for the hardware as I replaced all of it as soon as I got the engine.

About the build: I did have some trouble with this build (more than I expected). The first problem is that the engine does not sit in the V of the frame. The frame is too wide, so I had to improvise without ordering any extra parts to keep the cost down. As you can see in the pictures, I extended the rear studs, and they have not shown any signs of bending. I made sure to buy quality hardware, and the lowest grade I used was 8.8, the highest being 10.9. The second problem I had was with the chain. I could not get the alignment right, but finally managed to without using the chain tensioner. The bike rides very well, but there is some 4 stroking. After I break it in some more, I will tune it unless someone buys it before then.

Costs:
- Bike: $97.19
- Engine Kit: $152.21
- Replacement Hardware: $13.38
Total: $262.78

Pictures:

Last edited:

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
In the past, I have sold used bikes in worse condition for $375, so since this is a freshly built one I am asking ~$425 based on the prices of other similar bikes on my local craigslist.

culvercityclassic

Sep 27, 2009
Culver City, Ca
I think your price is below the market but then again you are using a bucket for a bike to start with and a motor kit that was the cheapest you could find. I wish you luck in your venture but you are competing against a few pros on this site and I see what they offer and the service they offer.... Good luck

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
I think your price is below the market but then again you are using a bucket for a bike to start with and a motor kit that was the cheapest you could find. I wish you luck in your venture but you are competing against a few pros on this site and I see what they offer and the service they offer.... Good luck
So I could be asking for more?

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
My last bike was a Cranbrook, and the only problem I had with it was the front tube being wider than the front engine mount, which I mounted the engine to a seatpost and the seatpost was clamped to the frame. Later on I got a different engine with a wider front mount and didn't need the seatpost anymore. I am not sure why you had an issue with the engine sitting in the frame properly. I did have some trouble with the chain rubbing the fat tires that came on the bike, solved it by switching to a skinnier tire. If I were selling a bike, I'd want to find a way to get the engine seated properly in the frame. Extending the rear studs may work ok for now, but its asking for trouble later. I would look at other for sale builds very closely to see what you could be doing better.

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
My last bike was a Cranbrook, and the only problem I had with it was the front tube being wider than the front engine mount, which I mounted the engine to a seatpost and the seatpost was clamped to the frame. Later on I got a different engine with a wider front mount and didn't need the seatpost anymore. I am not sure why you had an issue with the engine sitting in the frame properly. I did have some trouble with the chain rubbing the fat tires that came on the bike, solved it by switching to a skinnier tire. If I were selling a bike, I'd want to find a way to get the engine seated properly in the frame. Extending the rear studs may work ok for now, but its asking for trouble later. I would look at other for sale builds very closely to see what you could be doing better.
I could not let the engine sit in the frame because at the point it would have sat at, the bike's sprocket was in the way. On the next build I am having some blocks of aluminum machined that will fill the gap between the seat post and the engine. That should help make it stronger.

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
That sounds like a good idea. Maybe Huffy changed their frame design a bit. I seem to remember having to tilt the cylinder forward a tad to get mine to sit right. The carb doesn't have to be 100% level to work. But good luck with your business venture.

Vinoy Thomas

Sep 12, 2012
Brampton,Ontario
WOW!

You guys are considering $425 below the market!!!

Lucky guy! I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

I build motorized bicycles as well, I sell my bikes for $370 at a cost of $270! That is pretty much the highest people will pay in my area, unfortunately :p

Anyways, good luck on your business venture :D

Vinoy

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
WOW!

You guys are considering $425 below the market!!!

Lucky guy! I live in Brampton, Ontario, Canada.

I build motorized bicycles as well, I sell my bikes for $370 at a cost of $270! That is pretty much the highest people will pay in my area, unfortunately :p

Anyways, good luck on your business venture :D

Vinoy
Yea that's what I am thinking. I always thought a build like this should sell for around $380 or so since it has very simple components. I am asking for $425 just to test the market and see what I can get. After bargaining and such, I probably will sell it for ~$400.

-Christopher

CTripps

Aug 22, 2011
Vancouver, B.C.
Good looking bike, good luck with the 'summer job'. If I had the time, I might be doing something similar.

I think I'd replace the stock plug boot and wire, the fuel line, and probably the fuel filter, myself. By the way, from here it looks like the filter on that one is upside down. The boot and wire so I don't have the customer come back when it fails, and the line just for my own peace of mind.

16v4nrbrgr

Mar 17, 2012
North Bay
I don't think you can fairly charge for your labor building motorbikes. When I sell mine, it will be for the price of the components, just to move onto the next thing. It's a thing where people see that if they put in the effort they can build their own.

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
One of the most difficult and most important parts of doing business is infact pricing. To far to either side will kill an enterprise.

Direct and indirect costs should be considered. Here is an excellent article on different formulas to fix pricing http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/1326.html

I would suggest you decide on a price you feel is fair to you and the consumer and stick with it. Reasons being, it is what you consider fair. Not inflated so as to get the best amount possible and would not be angering to another customer who buys the same product for a different price. Will come back to bite ya.

When you produce some thing for sale, it is a proposal to a potential consumer. They weigh the option to buy or not to. If you charged say $50 an hr for your time and it is worth it to them, then it is a good deal for the end consumer. If they have the time, tools and expertise, then it is not.

Either way, it is a proposal.

I have been offered more then your asking for bike and called a thief for an asking price. It is a product for sale and I think you have it more then fairly priced. But will be a rough crowd here to ask as 99% of us like the building part and have already invested in the tooling and time learning.

Best of luck on your endeavor!

Mr. Minecraft

Visionary
Jan 13, 2012
San Diego
One of the most difficult and most important parts of doing business is infact pricing. To far to either side will kill an enterprise.

Direct and indirect costs should be considered. Here is an excellent article on different formulas to fix pricing http://ohioline.osu.edu/cd-fact/1326.html

I would suggest you decide on a price you feel is fair to you and the consumer and stick with it. Reasons being, it is what you consider fair. Not inflated so as to get the best amount possible and would not be angering to another customer who buys the same product for a different price. Will come back to bite ya.

When you produce some thing for sale, it is a proposal to a potential consumer. They weigh the option to buy or not to. If you charged say $50 an hr for your time and it is worth it to them, then it is a good deal for the end consumer. If they have the time, tools and expertise, then it is not.

Either way, it is a proposal.

I have been offered more then your asking for bike and called a thief for an asking price. It is a product for sale and I think you have it more then fairly priced. But will be a rough crowd here to ask as 99% of us like the building part and have already invested in the tooling and time learning.

Best of luck on your endeavor!
Thanks Dan. Every time I have sold a bike in the past, the buyer is always a college or high school student that needs something simple to get around on, but they don't have the time to build it themselves. That is the crowd that generally buys these types of things around where I live, so I am trying to take advantage of that to make a small profit :D

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Awesome! You found a need (demand) and are supplying it. Doing work you like sure beats working for a living.

I really do admire you for following threw with this.

A really great school project, if I can be so bold, write a business plan. Yer gonna think why bother but trust me, it will be well worth it for many reasons.

Just a thought and for a summer gig, not really worth it but I really do suggest you at least consider it. Plus they are fun to write.

http://www.bizplanit.com/blog/business-plans/why-write-a-business-plan-eight-great-reasons.html

http://www.sba.gov/category/navigat...ess/starting-business/how-write-business-plan