Saw An Old China Girl Motorized Bicycle in Taipei Today

GoldenMotor.com

Russ McClay

Jan 21, 2013
Taipei
This is the only China Girl I've ever seen in the wild in Taiwan. I've been here over a quarter of a century.

The bike was locked and at the end of a long line of parked bikes. Magnificently rusted, carburetor dangling (the aluminum casting of the out port was broken off jaggedly).

It appears this bike had long service. I saw that there were no leaks in the case or heads or plug. Would love to know the full history.

Unless the motor is seized, I'd guess a new carb and some lubrication could resurrect this girl.

Attachments

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
Re: Saw An Old China Girl in Taipei Today

I don't think its that old, just looks like its been ridden very hard. Other than the rust, the motor shows no significant outward signs of age. Plus its got a pullstart, and they have only been around for a few years now for the china girls. I think maybe the owner just beat the snot out of it. The pullstart rope is not fully retracted, the carb is broken off and most of the rust is on the muffler and chainguard. This indicates that the owner rode very hard over a lot of very bumpy roads (maybe thats how some of the roads are over there?) , and the rust indicates they road through a lot of rain/puddles (monsoon season?). The pullstart rope indicates what is already known: the pullstarts are junk to begin with. I wouldn't guess that bike to be more than a few years old, if that.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

I was in Taipei in 1967.

There were millions of old China Girls all over the place.

And yes, I was there on R&R for a "happy Time".dance1

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania

Not really important but pull starts have been around for a very long time. One of the Russian companies still makes the same engine but is now used as a pump, has one.

Uber cool 5-7. Any pictures? Bet that was a fun time.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008

Not really important but pull starts have been around for a very long time. One of the Russian companies still makes the same engine but is now used as a pump, has one.

Uber cool 5-7. Any pictures? Bet that was a fun time.
Pics? I wouldn't remember where they'd be. :-||

Yes, fun time. I'd appreciate it more now, tho.

dodge dude94

Jun 8, 2012
East Texas

I'm with BBB on this one. Not super old, just run hard. It's using an NT carb for crying out loud. lol Looks like 415HD chain and a 36t sprocket.

Holy cow it's bad that I know this stuff. :D