gt2 frame

GoldenMotor.com

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
hello ,
ive been reading about these frames , and was curious as to what the gold coating is
so i started this thread to see what every one else is thinking & what you did , or plan to do ..sand it ..dont sand it ...what ?
if you have knowledge please post here ...also please feel free to post any pics & advice on this matter
but please just info & pics about this frame
thank you in advance

bigbutterbean

Jan 31, 2011
Lebanon, PA
If I may offer my opinion, I would see if it comes off with some steel wool or a dry brillo pad. I don't have any personal experience with this frame, but I've heard that its a light coating that flakes off easily.

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
yes , thank you
i have heard that it is a protective coating .(scratches)
also that it is a coating to promote paint adhesion
what exactly it is? , i really dont know

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
Based on what I have learned here from other member's experiences, the coating is a protective measure for long term storage, nothing more. It does come off easily. It is not a primer coating, actually seems to be a paint repellent really.
A self etching primer specifically made for use with aluminum is recommended before painting.
Some members have had the frame powder coated too.

Jim C

Jul 11, 2010
Long Beach Calif
It looks to me like it is just "chem coat" or iridite (that may be spelled wrong). It is a pre plate or pre paint prep for aluminium. It is used to prevent corrosion. After welding or maching alumimium is cleaned in Oakite then dipped in the Iridite solution the color is added to the soulition

wing nut

Aug 9, 2012
warren p.a.
thank you all for the answers ..they were really what i needed
the frame arrived & is all ready at the powder coater's , they say they can deal with the (gold stuff ) & all will be fine
thank you again ....please feel free to post more tips & info you may come across

Harold_B

May 23, 2012
Grand Rapids, MI
I think Jim C hit it. We used a product called Chem Film as a substitute for anodize when aluminum parts were in a nitrogen purged environment. It can be pretty dirty if not scrubbed but if cleaned properly can be anodized. I would defer to someone that deals with it often before spending a lot of money on a paint job. Here's a link to the Chem Film site: http://www.chemprocessing.com/metal_finishing_capabilities/chem_film.html