Votes: 8 57.1%
  • Curve down, different

Votes: 6 42.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Hi guys, so I was cutting and grinding on an old frame today, adding rake and having fun. But I can't decide on which way I should put the top tube...

I started with this bike here:

What do you think:

Curve up?

or Curve down?

I'm hoping to get'r welded up this weekend, so I've got a couple days to scratch my chin...

What do you guys think?
.weld

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Greg,
The top tube 'up' looks better. With it down it makes the bike appear bent in the middle.
But that's just my opinion. You need to do what looks good to YOU. :)
Keep us posted on the project.

Tom

BikeBerryJen

Engine Diva
Oct 25, 2012
SoCal
Greg,
The top tube 'up' looks better. With it down it makes the bike appear bent in the middle.
But that's just my opinion. You need to do what looks good to YOU. :)
Keep us posted on the project.

Tom
I agree that "up" looks better! However, beauty is in the eye of the beholder and since you're the one riding around on it, go for what looks spiffy to you!

.wee.

BikeBerryKelci

Oct 25, 2012
brea
I think curved down looks dope! But I agree w/ Jenn ( my sista from anotha mista!) beauty is in the eye of the beholder so go w/ your gut and do what you think is the best look for your taste.

BoDean_LP

Apr 25, 2012
Jeffersonville, Indiana
Tube down looks cool, but it's all up to your taste.

That's just looks though. Tube up would be more practical. I'd test fit the motor to verify minimum necessary clearance before going with tube down.

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Thanks guys and girls :) Hm, I didn't even think of it looking "broke back" down. Maybe I'll Nickname it "Broke Back Bikin'" and paint'r pink, lol, no way. Straight could be another option, maybe square up top might work. I'll dig out a piece when the sun comes up.

I've got an HS49cc to go in this bike. Helical gear Hoot till it dies and a 4G(maybe ezm) goes in. I like the looks of the 4G. Lots of engine clearance either way, it sits nice and low.

One thing I like about it turned down is how the tank sits, but a straight tube could give me that look too.

Took more pics while the coffee was brewing, check 'em out:

See what I mean about the angle of the gas tank?

dracothered

Jul 25, 2012
Howell, MI.
With the tank on it looks a little better (not as broken looking), but a straight tube might just be the ticket... no pun intended. hahaha

Technocyclist

Motorized Bicycle Senior Technologist
Jul 7, 2008
Asia
i also prefer curve upwards... it looks better, and you'll have more space for a bigger engine... :)

Ludwig II

Jul 17, 2012
UK
The tube is ok, but putting the tank on changes the harder visual dynamic that it gives. I suppose there's no chance of putting a cylindrical/barrel tank crossways behind the seat?

killercanuck

Dec 17, 2009
Wallaceburg ON
Sorry to all the "up" voters, but like peeps said, gotta go with what I like eh. :) Decided to go with the down style after all. Wasn't crazy about the straight tube either, but had to try one. Don't know if it was the diameter of the tube, but something threw me off it.

So yea, got'r brazed up today:

Going to add a huge gusset up front, coming back a good 5-6"(or more) from the head tube. And a smaller one at the top-back for some peace of mind and looks.

I'll keep pics coming as I go.

Even if I'm not happy with the end result, its still good practice... Plus the motor/forks/crank can always go on something else :)