66cc Bike Engine Caught On FIRE!!!

GoldenMotor.com

wayne z

Dec 5, 2010
louisiana
How would "crud" fill up the clutch if it's uncovered? What is "crud" and where would it come from.

Look at the Ducati Monster. Some of them have a dry clutch, and the owners sometimes use custom open clutch covers on them and never have them fill up with"crud".

They run a lot cooler open to the atmosphere and clutch dust can get away and not build up in the cover.
Also a lotta Harleys, my '82 Shovelhead for instance, run an aftermarket dry,open clutch with no probs either.

I don't like people spreading eroneous and unfounded information. That's why I asked if the OP ever had a prob with an uncovered clutch "filling up with crud". If he hasn't or doesn't know of any other case that it has, then his info is not accurate.

Mr.Gadget

Nov 9, 2010
South Carolina
At least this happend while you were not on the bike.
Picture looking down and seeing fire between your legs!!!!! I now have a skin graft because my bike caught fire. Still don't know how it started???

Mozenrath

Jan 13, 2011
California
This is why I replaced the fuel line! The stock fuel line is underrated as the worst piece of junk in the kit! Aside from that awful, awful petcock. I can't wait to get rid of it. Can someone explain why it doesn't have hard on/off positions?

The closest I came to having an engine fire was yesterday. I ran out of gas and had to peddle to a gas station and fill up. I forgot to turn off the petcock, which meant that the fuel that sank into the filter didn't have oil. I let a little bit leak out but lost some control and gas got on to the engine head. I guess it wasn't hot enough, because it didn't catch fire.

I see two problems with having the clutch cover off. One, you might have some problems if you get sprayed by sprinklers. Second, I wouldn't want my jeans to get caught in the gears!

IreBo

Jul 22, 2011
Monterey,CA
sorry MX, looks fake.. you should have photo shoped some reflections of the fire on the rims and other shiny parts... good try? but if it is real i am sorry.

Pilotgeek

Apr 6, 2011
Green Bay, WI
Why would you leave the clutch cover open if there was grease in the clutch? The best thing to do in that situation is remove the clutch pucks, and use brake cleaner or something to remove the grease from the pads and pucks.

The "crud" that would get in the clutch is any road dust or rocks. It's not JUST the clutch that's exposed, but the gears too. Any grease would accumulate with dirt and dust, which is not good. Other motorcycles may have exposed dry clutches, but they are MADE to work that way. These are not.

Ditchrider

Jun 25, 2011
California
Looks like your not going to win this one Mx Chris , but next time and we hope there isn't a next time, let it burn. The ambulance ride will cost 3 times as much as the bike.
Its good that we can share these things on the net, I learn something every time I stop
and look you guys up.

concretepumper

Aug 30, 2011
Cali
This guy needs a Camera / Fire Ext. combo. I can't believe someone would take pics before trying to put the fire out and limit the amount of damage.

Skyliner70

May 25, 2011
Colorado
I wouldn't put out a gas fire if I didn't have the proper fire extinguisher. How many of you knuckleheads would spray it with a garden hose?

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
no your gas tank should not explode..... but then again neither should these engines. There had to be some kind of a spark to ignite your motor I dont care how hot it got gas wouldn't just ignite unless there was a spark., Staged

graydog8josh

Nov 23, 2012
Starkville,MS
"I dont care how hot it got gas wouldn't just ignite unless there was a spark"

That's ridiculous that you reopened this thread.

Why would someone set their engine on fire just to take a picture? Its not like they tried to get insurance money from it.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Reopen?
Is it a cold case file? Is there an expiration date ? It was the first time I ever read it , I do not get to sit here and read every post the second it is posted like some folks do so it may take me a while to read then if I choose to do so ...respond is there some time limit I'm not aware of ?

Furthermore I never said he set it on fire . Thanks for policing the area though I appreciate that. I was under the impression if there was to be no further conversation on a thread ,,,said thread would be locked

Don P

Sep 1, 2010
indiana
But what started the fire ????
pyromaniac gremlins?

just be glad it was motorbicycle spontaneous combustion, not human spontaneous combustion.

sorry for your loss. but look at it this way you don't half to pay for embalming it is all ready cremated you just need a eurn and you can keep it on your mantel for ever.

Sorry man i just could not help my self or maby i need help.

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
My job " when I'm not laid off that is" requires me to do quite a bit of metal fabrication I've had glowing hot red rose budded steel glowing red hot just for personal knowledge poured a cap of gasoline on it ..nothing happened. (that is until I hit it with a hammer and swooosh nice flame )
I also know that anything is possible no matter how unlikely. E.G. I watched a guy lose $10 bucks on a bet that a lit cigarette dropped in a cup of gas will put the cig out! & it did , it extinguished the cigarette as if it were dropped in water

It's the fumes that ignite not so much the liquid