Help on kits

GoldenMotor.com

NavenG

May 4, 2011
Memphis, TN
Hello hello.
I'm looking to upgrade my bike for easy transportation around town without having to buy a moped. Coming across an article in MAKE was a stroke of universal helpfulness.
Anyway, I want to buy a reliable kit, somewhere in the price range of less than $200, no more than $250. I need something relatively easy and straightforward. My first kit to look at was this one:
Included Items
Seemed good, would cost a little over $200. I wanted to know if there was something cheaper. I found these:
Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Motor - Silver Slant 80cc 2 Stroke Bicycle Engine Kit - 66cc Bicycle Engine Kit
GRUBEE SkyHawk GT5 66cc/80cc Slant Head Bike Motor Kit (Standard Finish)
I would probably go for the second one. It seemed better, but I don't know why.
I tried going through the forums to see if someone else had gone through this, gave up, and am posting this.
So, what I would like to know is this:
Are those kits good?
Which is better?
Is there somthing I missed?
Can someone help me?
For a first time motor bike creator, is there a better kit?
and what am I really getting into?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
No matter what vendor, factory your motor was made in they are basically the same. The quality control is non existence and its a roll of the dice. About all you can do is go with a vendor with great customer service IMHO

Last edited:

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
Dave has it nailed - get a vendor that will stand behind what they retail. Check the warranty section of the website, and if you see the term "Limited Warranty", in my experience, it means if you assemble it and put gas in it your warranty is void. Which is fine if you feel comfortable disassembling, point by point inspecting it yourself and reassembling, but honestly, who wants to do that?

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I don't know if the quality of the customer service from the vendors in the above links is/are any good, based on some of the posts here in this forum made by other members.

There are at least two currently active threads about problems members are having with their kits from the vendor in the 1st link.
From time to time, there are rants and complaints about the vendor in the 2nd and 3rd links.
If you are mechanically inclined, have a good workshop and plenty of tools, are able to test troubleshoot and repair engine parts then there should be no real concern about what vendor to use, and just look for lowest price.
If you are not the above, and need some hand-holding during assembly and testing, need good customer service and a good warranty, then I suggest you do some more research on some other vendors.

DuctTapedGoat

Dec 20, 2010
Nampa Idaho
KingsMotorBikes and GasBike.net are both limited warranty retailers ran by the same company.

The other (bikemotorkit.com) just says 30 day warranty on parts, not really specific one way or the other.

Al.Fisherman

Sep 9, 2009
Calera, Alabama
I've had a bad experience with "luckyearlybird" on E-bay. I wouldn't purchase so much as a chain link from them, let alone another engine. Shortly I'll work on my 6th build. I'm not a novice by any chance.

rohmell

Jun 2, 2010
New York
I've had a bad experience with "luckyearlybird" on E-bay. I wouldn't purchase so much as a chain link from them, let alone another engine. Shortly I'll work on my 6th build. I'm not a novice by any chance.
Sorry to hear about your bad luck with LEB.
From what I have read on this forum, Luckyearlybird is the wife of BGF.
I have bought all my stuff from BGF and so far, nary a problem.