after market chain tensioner?

GoldenMotor.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
anyone know where i could pick up a decent chain tensioner the one with the kit doesn't seem safe at all with my bike (worksman INB frame) bolts it came with aren't long enough/stripped and it just doesn't fit right.

are they available? i checked sick bike parts but i didn't see one, i almost got all the bugs worked out except for this.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
bit out of my price range, guess i'll just replace the nuts, bolts and pulley to something better and use the kit mounts, unless someone has something better.

Finfan

Aug 29, 2008
Tucson, AZ USA
I have seen at least one bike where they mounted the tensioner pointing down. That way if it does move the spokes will push it away instead of pulling it in.

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
i agree drilling is not an option. thanks for the link goat, you always take care of me xD

i really like the one that boy go fast was selling that someone later modded into their own design, but sadly i don't see it in boy go fasts ebay shop :(

Last edited:

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
you can also manage to get the bike to run without the tensioner.

i used it for a little bit, then after i got the bike running smoothly i took the tensioner off, shortened the chain a little and now run with out it...

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
you can also manage to get the bike to run without the tensioner.

i used it for a little bit, then after i got the bike running smoothly i took the tensioner off, shortened the chain a little and now run with out it...
my worksman disagrees :s

i had originally done this but after riding it for 4 miles i checked to see how everything was doing and it had already done some serious damage to my bikes frame from rubbing, and i moved the tire as far to the right as possible just to get the clearance to make it ridable at all still couldn't get the bottom section to not rub with out a tensioner.

sportscarpat

Bonneville Bomber the Salt Flat record breaker
Jun 25, 2009
california
I make a rock solid idler assembly for the Worksman and Schwinn frames. Idler is an 18t bearing insert design. Unfortunately I need the frame here in my shop as the idler tab is tig welded to the frame, and I use a small jig to properly locate and align the assembly before welding the mount tab in place.
Pat

matthurd

Dec 13, 2010
manchester NH
Motorized Bicycles Gas Bike Engines Gas Powered Bikes Motorized Bicycle Parts

i like this one, but piston bikes wants to charge me as much to ship it as theywant me to pay for the actual part, which seems strange to me.

then kingsmotorbikes sells this one n wants $15 for it shipped, from the same area of the country. Bicycle Engine Idler Pulley Chain Tensioner - Motorized Bike Idler Pulley Chain Tensioner - Bike Engine Idler Pulley Chain Tensioner

neither looks significantly better although piston is a little better looking its not $10 better looking, but both look better then the stock kit one, while being in a price range that seems reasonable.

think i'm gonna go with the one from kings, then maybe do what wayne did to keep it from going anywhere, thanks for all the help everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.