Fuel shutoff

GoldenMotor.com

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Bike is mebbe 6 months old and suddenly the petcock is leaking

I don't figger these things are repairable

WHO'S the best source for a replacement to Florida?

yodar

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Your local Ace Hardware, Grainger and other hardware outlets. The threads will be 1/8" NPT (national pipe thread) but with the help of a tap the threads in your tank can be made to accept it. Just don't run the tap in too deep; just far enough to get the new valve started a few threads.
Sick Bike Parts and a few other sponsors here also sells them. Check their ads.
Tom

WildAlaskan

Sep 30, 2010
alaska
sbp.com
i looked for about a day localy and couldnt find anything thatwould work but i heard sbp has goodones i ended up just using copper fittings to make a straight flow no valve line not ideal but i havent had any problems

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Your local Ace Hardware, Grainger and other hardware outlets. The threads will be 1/8" NPT (national pipe thread) but with the help of a tap the threads in your tank can be made to accept it. Just don't run the tap in too deep; just far enough to get the new valve started a few threads.
Sick Bike Parts and a few other sponsors here also sells them. Check their ads.
Tom
THANK YOU THANK YOU THANK YOU! -is there a part number or url so i can SEE what it looks like?

I am goin' to ACE tomorrow. They have a plastic in-line shutoff with a barb on each side. I might just get a barb to replace the tank's valve and use fuel line to the shutoff valve

yodar

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
Just make sure the plastic valve is compatible with gasoline. You don't want something made for aquariums or water fountains. Check in the lawnmower parts or plumbing section for brass or stainless steel valves (petcocks). You'll want male 1/8" pipe thread on at least one side. Good luck.
Tom

Last edited:

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
i buy these off ebay. they're awesome :

Threaded Fuel Shut Off for Metal Gas Tank lawn/Tractor - eBay (item 300351445254 end time Dec-20-10 10:07:09 PST)

the weird thing about the seller though, is he keeps changing the prices. right now they're 9 bucks, but a coupla months ago i bought 5 of them for 20 bucks.

you could probably find the same thing at a lawnmower shop.

like 2door said, you'll need a 1/8" NPT tap.

i've had a few of the stock petcocks that leaked, all of them brand new. nothing like finishing a brand new bike, filling it up with fuel, and watching it pour all out on the ground.

the only thing i use the stock petcock for now is to plug up a custom tank when i seal it.

5-7HEAVEN

Aug 2, 2008
I used that petcock as a drainplug for my goped tank.

It also makes it easy to calculate mpg.

My Happy Time tank's petcock plugged up. Its orifice was tiny to begin with, had a hard time filling my FRAM automotive filter. The best thing I did was install an SBP fuel vavle. Its port is almost as large as the brass fuel fitting.

Now my filter is ALWAYS full.

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
Just make sure the plastic valve is compatible with gasoline. You don't want something made for aquariums or water fountains. Check in the lawnmower parts or plumbing section for brass or stainless steel valves (petcocks). You'll want male 1/8" pipe thread on at least one side. Good luck.
Tom
NAW! The plastic fuel shut off valve accessory in the chain saw dept

yodar

Jul 26, 2010
Orlando Fl
I've used gasket sealer on the threads with good results- is the petcock leaking itself, or the line- small worm clamps work great- I can barely get the line off after they've been tightened on awhile.

Sick bikes has the best petcock of the vendors here I think-
Sick Bike Parts
BOTH! The leeedle phillips head screws that hold the face of the valve onto the casting were loose and in spite of how tight the new neoprene fuel line was on the barb, it still NEEDED a clamp. All is well ! put a gob of GOOP on the screws to keep em tight

yodar