Drum brake help.

GoldenMotor.com

N8dogg

Apr 25, 2010
san diego
I just got a new wheel from husky with a sturmey archer drum brake for the front of my cruiser. I have never dealt with a drum and need help on installing the cable. If anyone could run me through it I would appreciate it. Thanks

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
None of my drum brakes are Sturmey Archer. They cable up much like a road bike caliper brake or avid disk brake.
I'll see if I can find any pics that might help.

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
Here is a link to a wikipedia article on bicycle brakes. Scroll down to the drum brake section. Click on the pic of the shimano drum (roller) brake for a nice enlargement.
The pic shows a rear brake, but the rigging is the same.

Bicycle brake systems - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The cable jacket terminates on a fixed piece, that usually has a barrell adjustor.
The end of the cable moves the brake lever. Use the manufactured end of the cable in the hand lever.
If your Sturmey Archer brake did not come with a cable terminator for the "wheel" end (to pull the lever on the drum brake), make one with a nut and bolt squeezing the cable end, or you can buy something better from a hardware store.
Here's one of mine.

Last edited:

retromike3

Jan 9, 2009
Beaverton OR
Make sure that the brake arm is on the same side as the rear. That way the arm pushes into the clamp. I had a front brake "let go" and wrap the cable around the hub dumping me on the ground. I know it does not look right compared to standard brakes but it can make a big difference.

Mike

N8dogg

Apr 25, 2010
san diego
I figured the cable out about 15 minutes after I started this thread. The brake arm clamp that came with the wheel wouldnt even come close to fitting on my fork so i ended up using a copper coupler and 2 hose clamps from home depot and it hasnt failed me yet. I use a dual brake lever with a caliper brake for rear and I stop WAY faster then before. Money well spent IMO