Praise The Poo-poo!

GoldenMotor.com

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
I just put the long poo-poo pipe on that I thought wouldn't fit. well I had to cut it and couple it under the bottom bracket instead of over it.

I'm shocked by how much quieter it is. I've finally got that "moped sound" level I've been after.

I got this thing from boygofast last summer and it didn't fit the cruiser. I didn't know what to do with it, and then I thought it would fit the $5 Schwinn traveler build I was planning. It may have, but the clearances were too close for comfort.

I played around with the beer can muffler extensions last summer after the tailpiece was lost off my muffler, but still not happy with the loud motor. It kept getting messed up on the stairs too.

When the last can blew off the other day, I almost ordered another stock muffler, or the slightly longer one at King's. But have spent too much at Christmas!

So I finally decided to try modifying. I cut the old muffler off the pipe, cut the short drop off the poo pipe, and using the trusty can aluminum once more and some worm clamps, coupled them together.

So this is at least the first prototype- put together in only about a half hour. I may go another can of aluminum thicker at the wrap, but one can goes around more than twice and is surprisingly strong.. I may wrap it inside out too if I can, so it doesn't show "beer can" so much. And I'll probably put two clamps on each end when I get some more.

But what a difference! It will be such a greater pleasure to ride now! It is beyond my expectations.

Heres the pictures:

Praise the Lord! I found the poo-poo!

Attachments

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
a big part of the sound difference is that it comes out behind you now. even if it was louder, you wouldn't notice it as much.

as for the aluminum can mod, you could see if there's a scrap metal place around you, or anywhere you can get a piece of pipe with an inside diameter the same as your exhaust's outside diameter. cut a piece, slit the ends, and hose clamp it on.

with the cans, it looks like one good bump, or a curb or something would take it out.

or just go down to the muffler shop. probably cost less than 10 bucks to have it welded.

but anyways, it looks cool like that...

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Lookin' good Kat! Have to love when stuff works out. I want one. In last pic, your friends sure look happy with it too... Neighbors with thin walls? (or good beer?)

wheelbender6

Sep 4, 2008
TX
You now possess the coveted honorary degree in beer can engineering.
You did a great job of adapting an old hot rodder's trick.

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
No, the difference is not really now that it comes out behind me. I had it idling outr front when I returned (I neglected to attach the kill switch wire again, so had to short it off on the crank arm)

It's really just plain quieter. I paid about 35 for this extended pipe- the pipes not only a bunch longer, the muffler itself is half again as a stock.

But when it wouldn't fit I was wishing I'd bought the one they call the "orange county cruiser" pipe- even though much more money, because it drops al the way under the bottom bracket. I'm sure now that that set-up would be just as quiet. This pipe just doesn't want to clear around the crank arms or the motor chain. But I'm happy now- it works just fine.

There seems to be no drop in performance either. Just a lot less annoying decibels.

Here's some of them:

This one has a long pipe, but the muffler's shorter than mine
CHOPPER MUFFLER Motorized OCC Bicycle Motor Bike Parts:eBay Motors (item 260529915888 end time Jan-27-10 13:22:25 PST)

Here's Spooky's.. This one is like the one I had to cut, because the clearances are so tight over the bottom bracket, past the cranks and the chain.
Extended Chrome Exhaust Muffler

Zone 8 seems to have the best price on a standard chrome muffler right now- $25 w/ free ship
Exhaust chrome

Boygofast hasn't had the extended pipe I cut here listed lately, or I'd post the link.

P.S. The old guy in the picture above is my Grandpap, circa 1960. Grandpap was a coal miner in Canonsburg PA, and grandma would hide his bottles from him. Here he found two.

Happy motoring!

Last edited:

Saddletramp1200

Custom MB Buiilder
May 7, 2008
Houston, Texas
Nice pipe, Be ruthless, take the time to bake a cake and take it too a muffler shop, ask the guy if he can weld your exhaust pipe while dangling the cake under his nose! Works best at lunch time. Yer out of there for under 5.00 (c)

Nashville Kat

Apr 20, 2009
Jacksonville, Florida
Except that the ends really don't come together. I was going to couple it with a chrome seatpost I have, but a very slight angle problem- That could possibly be welded in. But the rolled aluminum IS the pipe for about three inches.

It's totally functional now, but I may take some time to improve it later. I like the chrome tape, but not sure I want to spend the money.

here's a link to a longer than normal muffler at King's. I almost ordered this, before I coupled these things together. It's probably not as quiet as this, but has a longer pipe than stock:
Bicycle Motor Engine Chrome Muffler Parts - Motorized Bicycle Chrome Muffler Parts - Bicycle Motor Chrome Muffler Parts - Motorized Bicycle Parts

Last edited:

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I was looking at this and thinking. Why not captivate a short piece of your hadlebar tubing inside the roll between the mismatch, roll it back up and install a third clamp in the center. I think the strength increase might surprise you and could last quite some time.

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
My friend at work provided me with a length of 1" stainless flexible appliance gas line. I have not decided on the exact configuration of the bends but this stuff will be pretty simple to form to whatever shapes I need. The diameters are slightly mismatched so I will be machining some couplers to match everything up.

Also today I picked up a small 4 stroke muffler to help keep the noise down (not shown). I will either mount it as a stinger or put it in-line along the exhaust run. I's nice to have all winter for planning and design. Taking my time with things is really paying off.

Sorry about the mediocre pic, I will probably be doing more documentation as things become more permanent, and I will explain item numbers etc..

Attachments

K.i.p

Nov 8, 2009
CNY
I have made some progress over the last few days on my custom poo poo style exhaust. I will be running a simple Briggs pre-muffler to assist with keeping things quiet. The through put is 5/8" which is pretty much what the engine is based on, so I don't have much worry about restriction.

I did some modification to the utility muffler adding some adaptors which I knocked off on a lathe and then brazed in place. I also made an adaptor for the cropped off stock manifold pipe. I will connect the two with some 1" natural gas line and hose clamps.

The front bracket is almost set to go but the frame mount needs to be welded and I need to fabricate the rear bracket to support the stock muffler in the rear. It's going to be awhile befor I know what it sounds like but hopefully it sounds quiet more than anything else.

Attachments

Last edited: