Walmart cranbrook cruiser sprocket problems?

GoldenMotor.com

matrixman2005

Aug 4, 2009
Fort Worth, Texas
Hey guys i bought an $86 bike from walmart with the coaster brake in rear and i can't get the coaster brake stopping arm off to put on the sprocket? Anyone have any ideas on what i should do?
I'm kinda upset cause i don't want to even assemble the bike unless i can figure out how to make it work. Any one know how to do it or know a thread of someone who does? Thanx fellas.

Junster

Jun 2, 2009
Washington St.
I'd have to see a pic of yours but most if not all are just held on by a nut. The arm has a hole in it with 2 flats. You will need to use a vise to make the offset bend in it bigger to clear the sprocket bolts once the sprocket is mounted. Also sometimes you have to trim the dust cover and make the center hole in the kit sprocket bigger. Mark a circle around the sprocket hole with a sharpie for a guide to keep the hole centered. Hopefully you have a electric or air grinder. Otherwise a rough halfround file will get it done with some elbow grease. You might have to mount the sprocket using only the inside rubber not both.

FlyJSH

Feb 10, 2009
Houston, TX
I have done a couple of those.

There is a nut outside the arm that needs to be removed. It will probably take a breaker bar (at least all of mine have needed one) to loosen.

As for the dust cover, I remove mine and accept that I have to clean the bearings more often.

Apr 24, 2009
Fountain Hills, Arizona
I had the same problem with physically loosening the nut. I used a large socket wrench over the coaster arm as a cheater bar, and another on the nut holding it. This gave me the leverage to undo the nut.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
new ones are on pretty tight. here's an easy way to bust it loose...

1. find a piece of pipe that fits over the coaster brake arm.
2. get a big crescent wrench.
3. sit down indian style on the ground.
4. sit the wheel in your lap, with the coaster brake arm at 5 o'clock, and put the pipe over it.
5. put the big crescent wrench on the nut at 8 o'clock.
6. grab the wrench with your left hand, the pipe with the right hand, and push.
7. the nut comes loose, and you bash both your fists together, and your left hand will scrape all the skin off the knuckles on your right.

but it works.

Apr 24, 2009
Fountain Hills, Arizona
new ones are on pretty tight. here's an easy way to bust it loose...

1. find a piece of pipe that fits over the coaster brake arm.
2. get a big crescent wrench.
3. sit down indian style on the ground.
4. sit the wheel in your lap, with the coaster brake arm at 5 o'clock, and put the pipe over it.
5. put the big crescent wrench on the nut at 8 o'clock.
6. grab the wrench with your left hand, the pipe with the right hand, and push.
7. the nut comes loose, and you bash both your fists together, and your left hand will scrape all the skin off the knuckles on your right.

but it works.
That's exactly how I did it, except I used two sockets. True about the knuckle scraping. laff