carb bowl leak

GoldenMotor.com

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
has anyone had problems with leaking carb? mine is leaking, a little bit. i have,nt been able to tell exactly where. i checked the screws holding the bowl on, they were tight. i may take the carb off today, to check the gasket, float postion, etc. it is the 70 cc kit from dax. also, can someone explain what the needle slot means, & how to adjust this?

Last edited:

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
check the fuel line. that is where mine always leaks then it runs down to other places. I had to replace that clear crap with black rubber line to stop it.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
My carb always leaks from time to time. I think it is because of that little pin that shuts of the fuel when the float is at the top. the adjustment is that little clip on that brass pin remember when you put your carb together? That is not what it is though. Maybe you could try adjusting your carb by bending those little brass things down that are on the top of your float. Just do not loose those little pieces if they fall out. Remember where they were before bending. That way can put them back if it does not work.

Last edited:

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
thanks for the input, i still don't understand the needle slot adjustment part. is there a picture anywhere, or a thead that shows the parts?

deacon

minor bike philosopher
Jan 15, 2008
north carolina
You do know where it is right?

If you do there is a clip on the needle and several groves you can move the clip to. when you move the clip up it reduces the flow of fuel. When you move it down it increases the amount of fuel available. It is how you adjust your carb.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
thanks, i got it now, i thought the clip was the washer. i now understand. is'nt it the first grove down from the top? for the 70 cc engine? thats where it was so i did,nt change it.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Second from the top to start. When close to good your bicycle motor should run in a clean two cycle on any pull, up through full throttle. When you are on a slight down hill or barely cruising along it will be breaking in and out of a four cycle/two cycle.

If you lean it out enough to run in a two cycle all the time you lose power and engine longevity.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
i attemped to adjust the float, i did'nt want to adjust too much. it looks like the gas is seeping out from the ,float plunger?, for lack of a better term. is this also a vent? & if so would that mean that the needle was not seating firmly enough, allowing gas to seep past causing a leak?

Last edited:

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
ok, i removed the carb, adjusted float arms until , (with carb turned upside down), i had .005 inch clearance between float, & plunger pin. i reinstalled carb, reattached fuel line, & purged the air, to fill the bowl. i turned the fuel valve to the off position. in the morning i will know if it was the correct remedy, or not . thanks to all for the input.

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Are you running some kind of a fuel filter? Check the petcock screen too. Any crud that gets to the carb will hold the float valve open.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
yes, i have a small inline filter.i made new gaskets for the intake, and exhaust. i changed the plug & set gap @ .020 inch , changed the fuel line,put a seal washer for the carb to seal against. then i cleaned the tank, the petcock screen, none were dirty.after looking at the pics, on the carb rebuild thread, i saw that my float needed a little more adjustment. with the carb upside down, i bent the arms,ever so slightly, so that i had .030 inch clearance between the float, & the plunger pin. then i turned right side up, & blew through the fuel line, to make sure it was clear. i cleaned the seat & checked for trash, none there. then i used my smallest torch tip cleaner, to run through the main jet. i checked this morning, no runs, no drips, & no errors. again thanks to all for their input, & suggestions. this is a great resource, if everything could work like this, think what a great world that would be.

crazeehorse

May 21, 2008
what kind of material could you use to replace the seal gasket? would an o-ring work? the one at the petock is big enough to make, but the one at the inlet/seat is very small, & i'm sure hard to make. maybe check out the small engine shop here, for a replacment. i bought one close to it this week, for my carb bowl on a 13 hp briggs. but the small one may be hard to match. i'm thinking of buying another engine kit, for parts, plus i have another bike, but needs a wider crank. i guess i'm hooked too.

sisdavid

Mar 31, 2008
Daytona Beach
Yep, your hooked. I used some of those airconditioner fittings at an automotive store for O rings. Seem to be working. Mine leaks a little gas now and then. I keep it in the garage though. Maybe it is that little tiny pencil looking thing that shuts off the fuel when the carb is full monkey around with that maybe. Just don't lose your parts.

kmou123

Sep 20, 2009
fallbrook
has anyone had problems with leaking carb? mine is leaking, a little bit. i have,nt been able to tell exactly where. i checked the screws holding the bowl on, they were tight. i may take the carb off today, to check the gasket, float postion, etc. it is the 70 cc kit from dax. also, can someone explain what the needle slot means, & how to adjust this?
i have a grubbee skyhawk engine on my beach cruiser and i need help too i have a gas leak or something coming out of the bottom of the carburater or air filter so idk wat to do i would really appreciated if someone help me wat could i do to fix it did i do something wrong