Powder coating

GoldenMotor.com

djtino

Mar 2, 2009
Ontario
Hi .. I'm new to powder coating ( I've made only a handful of project with my new gun)

Do you think if I powder coat my wheel and use cantilever brake ... do you think it will first still brake and do you think the finish will last .? ..

THX.bld.

poopnbeans

Mar 16, 2009
ellicottville,n.y.14731
William here from meyerbilt powdercoating,I'd try on a old rim first to see if finish will stay I'm thinking not,though tough powder won't come off but WILL plob.show wear to finish even the wrinkle or hammer finish will look discolored after time. more stopping power? prob . not . good looks OH YEA !!

poopnbeans

Mar 16, 2009
ellicottville,n.y.14731
I forgot to mention,topping with clear might help. will rubber discolor the clear? turning it black ? well thats a good question too. at least the black/rubber will come off. the alloy rim on my schwinn isn't black come to think of it !!!** HUMMMM I wonder?**** also I'd recomend a polyester powder. most of eastwoods powders are.talk to me keep in touch.** William dnutdnut "ONES FUN TWO'S A RACE"

djtino

Mar 2, 2009
Ontario
for turning it black .. doesn't really matter ... i plan on doing de rim black anyway :D with red spoke and black hub ..

as far a polyester powder, I'm using Caswell powder and most of them are.

i'll try anyway .. i will see .. if I find that it's not working it's no big deal ... it's only cheapo bike wheel :D

2door

Staff member
Sep 15, 2008
Littleton, Colorado
I can't offer an opinion about powder coat but I can tell you that the black anodized rims on my first bike are beginning to show wear-thru. Anodize is pretty tough stuff but 700 plus miles of braking and the rubber pads are starting to wear silvery spots on the rims, especially the rear one. They're steel rims so I'll have to watch for rust but my old bike doesn't get to sit enough for rust to get a foothold. I would guess almost any coating will eventually be effected by friction of the rubber brake pads. Just imagine the dust on the rim being mashed between it and the brakes while rotating at speed. Would work just like a rotary sander. Just depends on how much you ride and how you use the brakes. Keep us informed on what you find.
Tom