Might try to build a 125cc Lifan bike

GoldenMotor.com
Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
So I currently have a single speed 79cc predator bike that can do about 40 on level ground, but I would like a bigger, higher quality engine. I was thinking the 125cc lifan would be cool to build a bike out of because of the built in 4 speed transmission. Only thing is that the engine is about 17" long, so I'm not sure how to go about finding a frame that it would fit in... anyone have experience with this engine? Tips, tricks, frames that work, etc.

WECSOG

Nov 10, 2014
North Alabama, USA
I have experience with the engines, but not in a bicycle frame. I have seen some builds on here using the Honda clone horizontal engines, though.
Here's a tip that might help, though: I would forget the 125cc and up engines because they are wider (bigger clutch pack) and longer (because of the longer stroke) than the true Honda clones. Most of the 110cc and smaller are true Honda clones with the same exterior dimensions as a 50-70cc Honda. They have quite a bit of parts commonality with Hondas, too.

Jan 21, 2015
Portland, Oregon
Well, I've decided to try it! I ordered the engine and a micargi puma stretch cruiser off amazon today, once those arrive, I'll figure out what else I need. I'm going to upgrade all the parts on the puma and figure out how to do disc brakes on both wheels. I plan to run the chain over onto the right side of the bike using a jackshaft, and add a freewheel so the pedals won't spin all the time. I'll probably have custom sprockets made so I can just use 41 chain on everything. So exciting!