What would you spend on this motor

GoldenMotor.com

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
This motor was on Ebay last week I was wondering what you guys would spend on this it has less than 25 hours on it .

Note all the aftermarket parts on it, It was owned priorly by a 66 year old gentleman whose wife made him sell it before he "hurt himself badly" she said"

P.S. I bought it for $82 dollars do you guys / gals think it was worth it?
I think so with all the aftermarket parts on it No idea if the3y did any work internally if so thats an added bonus." I value you guys's input"

crassius

Sep 30, 2012
USA
motors are somewhat pudding-like in that the proof of the motor is in the running

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I knew about the JB weld I'm guessing this gentleman wasn't the most mechanically inclined person, he shipped it out for the aftermarket parts to be added. As far as that broken piece..that is nothing... I'm looking at all the aftermarket parts however thanks for your input none the less

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
this is what was on the description on eBay

Im guessing the head and carb alone would have cost the price of the motor?

"This is a motor I had on my mountain bike.
I broke the piece that holds the clutch and tried to fix it with JB Weld.
That did not work.
I am 66 years old and my wife thinks I am going to get hurt so I must sell.
So my loss is your gain.
The motor is like new.
Less than 25 miles.
Comes with everything you see in pictures.

Last edited:

AslansMonkey

Oct 2, 2008
Well, the aftermarket head, spring chain tensioner and machined intake are probably worth more than $85 combined, so yes, I think you got a good deal. The bottom end of that motor should be replaced, however. Or at least the casing. But even if you strip the motor for parts, the aftermarket parts cost more than you paid.

As for the original owner...I don't think it's his age that makes the motor dangerous to him. It's that he thought he could fix it with JB weld. So congratulations on saving the old fellow's life!

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Well, the aftermarket head, spring chain tensioner and machined intake are probably worth more than $85 combined, so yes, I think you got a good deal. The bottom end of that motor should be replaced, however. Or at least the casing. But even if you strip the motor for parts, the aftermarket parts cost more than you paid.

As for the original owner...I don't think it's his age that makes the motor dangerous to him. It's that he thought he could fix it with JB weld. So congratulations on saving the old fellow's life!
If you look real close at it you can see the exhaust has one of those polished aluminum aftermarket ports with the fins that helps pull the heat away from the motor. Thanks for the input as well AslansMonkey.... I cant wait to see whats under the head ...it also the "R.M." on the clutch cover just happen to be my initials . It was meant to be .. Now to order a brand new kit to put it all on !!

I think he just over tightened that spring tensioner and it cracked the bolt mount then the chain slapping around must have done the rest .

Last edited:

vonericson

Sep 28, 2013
Astoria, OR
How come the carburetor is on upside down?

Tom
Haha! great catch I was wondering the same thing, so for the $89 bucks even if a lot of it is scrap you probably broke even (worst case) but everything looks really nice and well taken care of, seems the seller just didn't truly know what he was doing.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
I believe its an NT "Speed" Carb not a CNS. Though I have been wrong in the past on many occasions, I had my run in with CNS & the one I had leaked more than a submarine with screen windows
AT least I hope it isn'ta CNS that was one of the main reasons I bought it was for the NT speed carb I also noticed it was upside down I never bothered to ask

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
I believe its an NT "Speed" Carb not a CNS. Though I have been wrong in the past on many occasions, I had my run in with CNS & the one I had leaked more than a submarine with screen windows
AT least I hope it isn'ta CNS that was one of the main reasons I bought it was for the NT speed carb I also noticed it was upside down I never bothered to ask
Yeah thats a NT Speed Carb.

Map
.wee.

maniac57

Old, Fat, and still faster than you
Oct 8, 2011
memphis Tn
Good deal for the parts alone. The case is wasted and needs replaced but the rest of it looks good. Probably broke first time out from bad chain alignment so the motor is probably very low hours. Well worth $82 bucks considering a brand new one is $90-100...aftermarket parts worth more than that.

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Thanks a lot for the input Maniac57. greatly appreciated I also love showing you's guys's comments to my wife and going "see honey I told you it was a bargain" she thought I was tossing money out the window "It's broken ...WHY ARE YU BUYING BROKEN MOTORS WHEN YOUR PERFECTLY CAPABLE OF BREAKING THEM ON YOUR OWN"" ouch that hurt !!

so your comments help ease the pain of the wife! " I'm dying to see if any porting was done to the head. I also just ordered a brand new GT-5 Skyhawk kit from "gasbike" for $128 bones with their 65% off there is just 13 hours left on the sale ... it will come completely unassembled but thats no thing. I'm kind of bummed I just read some place that the Skyhawk GT-5 has a slightly taller cylinder which makes the piston unable to reach up to it's full potential for maximum compression HP.

How come the carburetor is on upside down?

Tom
Tom
I'm gonna guess it was easier .(for him) to work on the broken piece !

Last edited:

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
Good deal for the parts alone. The case is wasted and needs replaced but the rest of it looks good. Probably broke first time out from bad chain alignment so the motor is probably very low hours. Well worth $82 bucks considering a brand new one is $90-100...aftermarket parts worth more than that.
"He said" a lot less than 25 miles on it , So Im gonna say he ran a 1/4 tank of gas through her ..if that So provided he knew enough to mix the gas with oil ... it isn't even broken in yet .. it may be broken but not broken in.

I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb and having this spare head will allow me to experiment with some dremel porting and perhaps some piston grinding to " in theory " raise the port? .. It just arrived at my post office !!
I'm 46 years old & I feel like a kid on christmas eve.

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
"He said" a lot less than 25 miles on it , So Im gonna say he ran a 1/4 tank of gas through her ..if that So provided he knew enough to mix the gas with oil ... it isn't even broken in yet .. it may be broken but not broken in.

I will be going over it with a fine tooth comb and having this spare head will allow me to experiment with some dremel porting and perhaps some piston grinding to " in theory " raise the port? .. It just arrived at my post office !!
I'm 46 years old & I feel like a kid on christmas eve.
Enjoy the adventure Bro.......! and keep us posted.

Map
reddd

Jumpa

Aug 12, 2011
Cape Cod
slight bend on the top fin do you think I can bend that back without snapping it off? I dont
he forgot to show me this bend

BEST $82 bucks Ive ever spent!!

Last edited:

xseler

Apr 14, 2013
OKC, OK
Well, I guess if you're scared to try and straighten it, you could always 'bend' the other corner so it would 'match'..........

However, I'll bet that with a little bit of heat, you'd be able to straighten it. Good luck!!