Red Tag FYI

GoldenMotor.com

Bikeguy Joe

Godfather of Motorized Bicycles
Jan 8, 2008
up north now
I have been selling these red tag engines for awhile as 50cc engines...I opened one up today and measured it and they are actually measuring at right about 70cc.

I can't tell you much else about them, other than they have a red tag. (see photo)

Attachments

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yes, they were just some of the earlier engines to come over on the boat.

:)Not sure what the "88cm3" is for. Maybe it's china's way of saying 88cc's?

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Yep, they measured out at 70cc's. I think they measure the combustion chamber, or they must have good advertising executives over there.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Thanks Dave.
Do you still run that one? How many miles do you have on it?
Right now that one is not mounted on anything and on the shelf collecting dust. I love that motor they don't make um like that anymore so I want to save it.

Been a while but i believe the last ride I used it put it right over 23,000. It needs a set of rings its got a bit of blow by.

Last edited:

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
It all about being in tune with your machinery.

Care/maintenance go a long way. You can't just slap on an engine kit and go riding. They aren't Honda's.

Bikeguy Joe

Jan 8, 2008
up north now
Heck, I even ran one with the original hardware, plug, non bearing chain tensioner, ect for the longest time. I finally sold it. Not sure what ever happened to it.

moosinatrix

Sep 2, 2009
Houston, TX
yeah but i have never had one that reliable, my first kit didnt even make it to 1000 mi. but i beat the piss out of it.

my current kit is a BGF 66cc i bought it new a few years ago, electronics died beforei got a full tank through it. then sat for year got horse traded tolike 5 different people and made its way back tome lol. all the while someone took the plug out of it so it sat out in the weather with the cylinder all open and ****e.

no pitting or rust built up amazingly enough so i sprayed wome WD in there letit sit overnight and then sprayed some more and turned it over. i currently have about25 miles on it.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Wow! What's your secret? I can't seem to go three days of just moderate use before something dies or breaks.
I don't know? wish I knew? I ride my bikes hard and push those little motors as hard as I can.

Having years of turning wrenches and building so many motorized bicycles I guess is the big secret?

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
do you tare them down to look inside before installing them?
just to see what got screwed up
If it's not a bike I am building for performance, then no. Its straight from the box to the bike.

The only time I really take apart a motor is because the customer (or me for my own personal bike) wants something a little better then stock. Then yes everything gets checked out and addressed if need be.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
BTW my bushing motor with 23,000 only the mag and clutch cover have been removed. The motor has never been apart.

And I did have to replace the crank seal on the mag side around 18,000. I had a magneto go bad but that was because the crank seal went out soaking my Mag in fuel.