Noob attempts a Felt MP build: Have mercy on me.

GoldenMotor.com

dougy

Jan 17, 2011
Southport, England
I've just read your thread from start to now mate, well done ! Like my thread here I think you've had as many hick-ups as I have along the way, good though init :)

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I've just read your thread from start to now mate, well done ! Like my thread here I think you've had as many hick-ups as I have along the way, good though init :)
It's been a long road mate and it's about to get a little longer when my electric hub arrives. I have no idea how the 49cc petrol engine is going to perform with the drag placed on it from that e-hub but I do know I will be the first vehicle across any intersection when that e-hub is engaged. LOL

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
No wonder I've never seen a Crystalyte e-hub mounted on the rear wheel of any beach cruiser made. My Felt MP is more than a inch too narrow between drop-outs and it fits 3 inch wide tires. I had to notch the Crystalyte axle with a Dremel Tool in order to get it to fit, but the only thing that really matters I guess is that now IT DOES FIT and IT'S INSTALLED! dance1

There is some drag on the e-hub but the 49cc gas engine should be fine spinning that rear hub once I install a big bore carb on it. The resistance is not as bad as I thought it would be.

Last edited:

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
It's about to get very interesting up in here! LOL

Added:

Suspension forks
Crystalyte H3540
24" x 2.1" front tire
Thumb Throttle for e-hub

Removed:

Triple tree forks
24" x 3" front tire
Shimano XT caliper

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
Whool sheep, that is art, man.

When I first read you thread title, I thought "here we go" Then you go and build that! LOL

Really, really purty work. Great job Mike.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

When I first read you thread title, I thought "here we go" Then you go and build that! LOL

LOL Yeah I really didn't have a clue what was going on, which is why it's taken me sooooo long to get to this point, but I just keep on keepin' on until I'm satisfied.

I hate skinny tires but I'm not paying $800 for extra wide suspension forks to fit a 3" wide tire and riding without front suspension at speed in L.A. is just insane.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
With a 24T chainring and 170mm crank arms you can't even feel the e-hub is there while pedaling. If you try to lift the rear end of the bike, you definitely know it's there.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles

It's a real Dude Magnet at the beach, of all ages and races. For what it's worth. I'm not really use to that kind of attention. laff

Dan

Staff
May 25, 2008
Moosylvania
LOL Yeah I really didn't have a clue what was going on, which is why it's taken me sooooo long to get to this point, but I just keep on keepin' on until I'm satisfied.
None of us knew how to. Just "wanted to" and very cool "keepin' on until I'm satisfied." is a great build.

Taking a good long while is a good thing. Half the fun is the build. I raced with my first build ($148 2 smoker) Ad said could be assembled in 4 hrs. I didn't get from the edge of the drive way to the end of the yard before the tensioner went in to the spokes, lol.

It's a real Dude Magnet at the beach, of all ages and races. For what it's worth. I'm not really use to that kind of attention. laff
The attention/folks noticing thing freaks me out too. I wanted to be incognito and spent huge amounts of time and money trying for the quietest muffler. When I started riding 4 smokes, missed the "that look" thing.

Just sayin' it gets fun(er) after you get used to it. I live in a very reserved sort of town. Folks are a wee bit stand off-ish. On a MB, end up talking to neighbors.

Every kid who owned a bicycle wanted to do this. When some one sees your's and smiles, it is a good thing.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
None of us knew how to. Just "wanted to" and very cool "keepin' on until I'm satisfied." is a great build.

Taking a good long while is a good thing. Half the fun is the build. I raced with my first build ($148 2 smoker) Ad said could be assembled in 4 hrs. I didn't get from the edge of the drive way to the end of the yard before the tensioner went in to the spokes, lol.

The attention/folks noticing thing freaks me out too. I wanted to be incognito and spent huge amounts of time and money trying for the quietest muffler. When I started riding 4 smokes, missed the "that look" thing.

Just sayin' it gets fun(er) after you get used to it. I live in a very reserved sort of town. Folks are a wee bit stand off-ish. On a MB, end up talking to neighbors.

Every kid who owned a bicycle wanted to do this. When some one sees your's and smiles, it is a good thing.
I use to only go out at night and only on side streets and now I'm all over the map, even when the suns up. The battery pack, controller and rear sprocket are on the way. Once both motors are connected by a chain with the ability to use both motors or just one of them at a time things are gonna get interesting. No more pedaling on boardwalks or "No Motor Vehicle" paths for me. I'll just go into stealth mode with the e-hub.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
To never have to pedal again.......ever, yet still have access to places normal motorized vehicles can't go because it has working pedals: PRICELESS.

Added:

Battery pack and Crystalyte Controller to rear cargo carrier.
Tektro e-brake hydraulic disc caliper.
Cycle Analyst Computer

Not sure what all the fuss is about the drag from direct-drive e-hubs. There is no noticeable drag at all. There's more drag from the gas motors drive chain than from the Crystalyte e-hub. I have no problem pedaling both with both of them being shut off, and I hate pedaling. dance1

Still have a two loose electrical connections to make. Waiting for special "Anderson" connectors to arrive.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Added:

20 Watt CREE LED headlight that looks like a aircraft landing light at night. It has no affect on the front 12v LiFePo4 battery.

Tested the gas motor running with the e-motor shut off and it doesnt even feel what little resistance the e-motor gives while being off.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
That's a great bike, bring to the race tomorrow. You will have a fun time and meet some interesting people.
I still gotta hook up the e-hub to the battery pack. It takes special "Anderson" connectors that I had to order from Amazon that aren't here yet or I would. I don't stand a chance with just the HuaSheng. Who knows what it will do with both motors running? I can't even guess.

I watch all you guys race videos on youtube in HD. Looks like pure fun. I'll be there one day for sure.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
I'm now shot out of a cannon at stop lights up to about 30 mph. That's all I can I say. LOL The 2 motors do not combine speed but do combine torque to haul my butt up any hills. Cars behind me really have to gun it to pass me up to about 30 mph. Application of one or both motors at the same time is totally seamless. The electric motor feels a lot like a supercharger with a very slight lag when used simultaneously with the gas motor from a dead stop. Top speed is now approaching 40 mph with a 48T sprocket.

Got cussed out by a hobo at Venice Beach telling me my headlight was too bright and that he's now blind.

.wee.

Last edited:
Reactions: bluck

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Sounds like mad fun man :) You can officially shake the "noob" tag now:p

Ride safe.
Electric is crazy expensive as far as batteries are concerned but it provides that off-the-line torque and hill climb assist that is missing from a 49cc engine and it's dead quiet allowing you to go places that are off limits to motorized vehicles. With both engines engaged I can climb any hill at speed without pedaling once. I'm still road testing. Getting ready to install the GoPro.

miked826

Aug 6, 2011
Los Angeles
Sounds like mad fun man :) You can officially shake the "noob" tag now:p

Ride safe.
If you also like to pedal your bike (with the engine off) and you enjoy silence while you do, the best thing you can ever do is to toss out the roller chain link tensioner on the drive side and go with half links in both left and right chains and use axle tensioners instead. A lot less drag while pedaling and your bike will sound like a normal bike and not like some rickety tank treads going down the road terrifying people walking in front of you on a bike path or road. LMAO

Last edited: