Ouch. Sucks for him...

GoldenMotor.com

superharry

Mar 10, 2012
Mira Loma, CA.
yeah! lol what he said! that is the "Atkins Diet" guy. what a ******... I've ridden motorcycles for years, and in no way even think to compare them to a bicycle. levers are arranged differently for a reason, as I would love a foot operated rear brake on my bicycle! never gone OTB thinking my front brake was a clutch either. I say, its your ride, switch controls, make your own, or change it all up, ITS YOUR RIDE! if you still can't hang, get a bus pass!!!

happyvalley

Jul 24, 2008
upper Pioneer Valley
I can't say the guy is that far off base with his observations if the discussion of MABs as viable, everyday transpo is limited to the context of Chinese made bicycles and HT engine kits. That's his problem. Someone expecting ready-made dependability at low ball costs without upgrades and/or constant tinkering is bound to be disappointed with the out-of-the-box results. It's something anyone learns who decides to stick with motored bikes if they are to be anything more than a novelty or inexpensive hobby.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I can't say the guy is that far off base with his observations if the discussion of MABs as viable, everyday transpo is limited to the context of Chinese made bicycles and HT engine kits. That's his problem. Someone expecting ready-made dependability...
That's for sure, a motorized bicycle is NOT an Ikea Furnature kit.
Speaking of which, I wonder if he could even put one of their dining room sets together properly hehehe ;-}

Skarrd

Oct 13, 2010
Chandler, AZ
That's for sure, a motorized bicycle is NOT an Ikea Furnature kit.
Speaking of which, I wonder if he could even put one of their dining room sets together properly hehehe ;-}
and 5 minutes into him putting it together, he will have a 'serious or fatal' injury from a splinter ;)

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Sounds to me he wants to blame all his problems on someone, of something else besides his own obvious lack of skill. Probably a liberal.

Webb sites like that are highly suspect. It's possible he's a paid shill for the scooter industry, trying to steer people away from inexpensive motor bicycles. He may not even be a real person.

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
OMG I just looked at the home page. This guy is nutty as a fruit cake. I don't trust anybody that eats squirrel pie lol.

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
and 5 minutes into him putting (Ikeia furnature kit) together, he will have a 'serious or fatal' injury from a splinter ;)
AHHH Ha Ha Ha! Oh man, just made my day Skarrd!

I can just picture the scenario of his 'report' on the quality of the table kit he bought...

---
I purchased the 'X' Ikia table kit and assembled it.
It is obvious these kits are of low quality and down right dangerous so I recommend you don't buy one.

Upon assembly I pulled a chair up to it and in 10 minutes i suffered a 'serious or fatal' injury when I/it fell over.

I never did get the table to work.
----

Or better yet...

---------
I purchased this jigsaw puzzle and when I completed putting it together I found the pieces did line up so I had to modify them, and the final picture didn't look like the picture on the box.
--------

Hahaha, I'll be smiling all day about this ;-}

fasteddy

Feb 13, 2009
British Columbia Canada
Did everyone miss the best part. As soon as I saw his name and P.E. after it I knew where the story was going without reading it.. P.E. means Professional Engineer.

He is qualified to build buildings and bridges and for me that makes my blood run a little colder. This guy can't put a freaking motor bike together but he can design your sky scraper.

His whole lifes resume' is on his web site as well as photos of him as a kid to the present day. There is nothing he hasn't done or been as far as he tells it. Man is a genius on two legs and he is more than willing to share that with we "little" people who are less fortunate to not be him.
In my not so humble opinion he is a hand job on the woodpecker of life.

Steve.

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
These kits are dangerous, no doubt about it.

Gas leaking from petcocks that don't fit right. Gas that gushes out the tank if you fill it up all the way. Chain tensioners that rotate into the spokes and toss you over the bars. Less than clear instructions that vary from kit to kit. Frame adapters that come with the kits that instruct you to drill through the frame.

And yes, a motor that has much more power than your brakes.

And yes, the vendors suggest that you can simply bolt these on in 3 to 4 hours and be blazing down the road at 35.

Dangerous? You bet!

Mike B

Mar 23, 2011
Central CA
I'm an engineer, but not a PE.

That means I don't have a state license to practice and I'm not responsible.

He is.

Really, if you could be held financially responsible for your recommendations, would you tell people to go and build one of these? Like broadcast? (everyone)

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Really, if you could be held financially responsible for your recommendations, would you tell people to go and build one of these? Like broadcast? (everyone)
Heck no. I won't sell the kits to rookies either.
I do however recommend anyone in my area looking for a motorized bike have ME build them a good one ;-}

Seriously though, the kits don't just snap on like a Lego kit because the bike is not in the motor kit, and there are a LOT of different bike models.

Grubee gave making a 'motorizing friendly' bike a pretty good try with the $300 GT1.

That was like my 3rd build well over a year and many builds ago, but if memory serves...

The motor dropped on the frame aligned perfect for the stock mounts.
Both wheels were double wall rims, and the back wheel had the sprocket and a drum brake already on it.
The back wheel also had horizontal axle adjusters for tensioning the chain so no bolt on tensioner was needed.

And the bike itself was really pretty nice...
Solid frame, front shocks, tripod kickstand, nice saddle and 3 brakes.

It had some flaws though, namely the handlebar controls...
It had a fixed length dual pull lever for V brakes on the right, and another lever for the drum brake on the left (or some such mess that needed re-doing), so putting the throttle and clutch lever on wasn't fun.

Sadly they didn't pay attention to how the kit muffler would fit and clear the cranks and the tripod kick stand arms were just cheap aluminum and crumpled the first time I tried to get on and pedal start it in place.

Anyway...
No, these are NOT kits with ALL of the pieces required to make a motorized bicycle and therefore will never go together like one.

They ARE however one heck of a cheap way to get most everything you need designed specifically for adding an entirely new gas powered drive train and control system to a bicycle.

How you fit that bicycle 'last piece' you provide of the kit puzzle is the logic and skill part to me.

Attachments

Sep 4, 2009
Texas
I'm an engineer, but not a PE.

That means I don't have a state license to practice and I'm not responsible.

He is.

Nobody that sells this kit is held financially responsible and there are tons of us that warn people to be extra careful as bikes aren't designed for this use...That is why we tell people to give yourself extra space to stop...we called that aim high steering in the trucking industry. Try driving an 80,000 truck down a mountain uneducated you'de be in the same danger...you plan ahead by gearing down and applying the jake brakes.

The key to riding these things SAFELY is to ride like you are invisible and give yourself PLENTY of braking distance. We also reccomend over and over again use a STEEL framed bike alluminum is likely to crack. The bikes with a front fender need to be reinforced so they don't fold down on the tire and face-plant you. I also reccomend taking the back way around like the loading dock side behind wal-mart ect. We have lots of riders here on this forum who have never been hurt riding I for one rode all around Dallas Tx. If after reading all this you still get hurt sue me...my phone number is BR549 tell em Junior sent ya!
zpt

mapbike

Mar 14, 2010
Central Area of Texas
This is great George...... well put.

Yeah what he said.....!

(^)

Nobody that sells this kit is held financially responsible and there are tons of us that warn people to be extra careful as bikes aren't designed for this use...That is why we tell people to give yourself extra space to stop...we called that aim high steering in the trucking industry. Try driving an 80,000 truck down a mountain uneducated you'de be in the same danger...you plan ahead by gearing down and applying the jake brakes.

The key to riding these things SAFELY is to ride like you are invisible and give yourself PLENTY of braking distance. We also reccomend over and over again use a STEEL framed bike alluminum is likely to crack. The bikes with a front fender need to be reinforced so they don't fold down on the tire and face-plant you. I also reccomend taking the back way around like the loading dock side behind wal-mart ect. We have lots of riders here on this forum who have never been hurt riding I for one rode all around Dallas Tx. If after reading all this you still get hurt sue me...my phone number is BR549 tell em Junior sent ya!
zpt