Finishing First Build - Leftover Parts??

GoldenMotor.com

navifty

Oct 22, 2011
world
I'm finishing up my first build of a knock-off using some vague instructions, and I have some leftover parts. I got the motor from some other guy, so I don't know if he just threw random stuff into the box or if these are actually parts that should be used. Does anyone know what this stuff is for? I'm especially concerned about 13, which looks like some kind of tiny filter.

Attachments

Rocky_Motor

Nov 14, 2011
Fort Collins & Boulder
I recognize 6, 13, maybe 11 and 10.

6 are bolts that would go to your sprocket clamp. Maybe he had extra, did you put a bolt through every hole in the clamp?

13 is a gas tank filter from the chinese valve/petcock. Something to be thrown away and replaced with a better one in my opinion. Anyway, as long as your gas tank was clean of debris before hand and you have an INLINE fuel filter then that piece isn't very important.

11 I think is the spring that is part of the clutch mechanism. Have you gotten to ride your bike yet?

10 must have been part of a large downtube adapter. Not important if you didn't need it. It's typically only mountain bikes that have the large downtube.

biken stins

Jul 11, 2008
#13 looks like it might be the fuel filter. Screws onto the petcock. Should use a in line filter you will be better off.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
1. muffler strap or chainguard strap. useless.
2. large frame adapter plate. goes with 10, u bolt for larger downtube.
3,5,and 8 look like engine case bolts. 3, case. 5, case or drive gear cover. 8, clutch cover.
4, looks like an air filter bolt.
6, rag joint bolts, or extras for muffler strap.
7. throttle assembly bolt
9. heat shield bolts?

*11. looks like the clutch spring behind the plate. you gotta take off the flower nut to get to it. this, you need. if you've got one in there already, you're ok.

12. i dunno.
13. fuel filter, screws into petcock, inside tank. semi-useless.

Last edited:

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
12 looks like a clutch adjusting nut for 1941 to 1984 Harley-Davidson Big Twins.
What it could be used for on an MB I dunno.... They have 3/8-24 threads.

navifty

Oct 22, 2011
world
Thanks guys. So the clutch spring is the main one I should be worried about... where exactly does this go? Flower nut? Does it go inside the handle of the clutch, or on the motor?

GearNut

Aug 19, 2009
San Diego, Kaliforgnia
It is a release spring. The spring goes inside the clutch, in between the pressure plate and clutch hub. It assists in pushing the pressure plate out and away from the clutch to dis-engage it when you squeeze in the clutch hand lever. It is not the main pressure spring that clamps down everything to lock up the clutch when you release the hand lever.
The flower nut is the adjustable nut that fits onto the clutch center stud. It is adjustable so you can tune the clutch for proper operation.

Here's Norm's tutorial on clutches: http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=222
Here's a tutorial I made on adjusting them with excellent additions by KCvale.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Here's a tutorial I made on adjusting them with excellent additions by KCvale.
http://motorbicycling.com/showthread.php?t=22726
Thanks for the Kudos gearnet ;-}

#11 looks a bit big for the clutch friction plate spring but it could very well be, you don't want to run without it if it is, in fact the clutch may not even disengage without it there to push the friction plate away when you pull in the clutch lever.

One spring you DON'T NEED is that long skinny one between the clutch arm on the left side of the motor and where the clutch cable sheath meets the motor on the right.
All it does is make it harder to pull the clutch in.

One spring you DO NEED is the fat long one on the clutch cable where it is right by the cylinder on the right side to keep the clutch cable from laying directly in contact with it.

If your bike is built and you can roll it with the clutch locked in and not with the clutch released you should be good.

navifty

Oct 22, 2011
world
Here's a followup on my current progress. I haven't gotten the engine to fire yet and I have no idea what's preventing it from doing so. It turns over fine, clutch seems functional, I switched out spark plugs, tried 2 cdis, and checked the carb for fuel flow. I'm pretty new at this, and the only things I can think of now are pressure or fuel somehow not being used by the carb.

However, I've tried pulling the spark plug out of the engine and giving the pedals a good push to see if it's sparking and I have yet to see a spark. If the plug is new and cdi is good, what is preventing it from sparking with a good push?!

Last edited:

biknut

Sep 28, 2010
Dallas
Gimmie spark gimmie fire, gimmie all that I desire.

If there's no spark, maybe the wireing is wrong.

Black to black, and blue to blue. Then one of the wires from the kill switch goes to black, and the other wire from the kill goes to the other. It's so easy a caveman could do it.

Forget the white