Here from El Centro CA

GoldenMotor.com

tORnS!!!

Jul 7, 2011
El Centro
Hello, my name is Tony and Im a poor college student I was really surprised when I accidently found this forum!!! I been thinking of building a motorized bike since my drivers license has been expired for a year and I can't renew it because there is a 6k hold on it!!! and Im nowhere near getting it back!!! I need the bike to get to work and back (its only 1.6 miles) but the real challenge is getting to school and to my hospital clinicals which are 14 miles from my house. Im hoping to build it soon. Im thinking of a streetfighter look beach cruser frame with a 66 cc motor!!! I will post pics as soon as I find the bike and I order the motor. One question, where can I get a good reliable engine kit??? and I have a brother with experience in welding and fabrication, so, source for parts would be my only concern. .xx.

ToxicAz520

Mar 11, 2011
Tucson,Arizona
Welcome to the forum. As to answer about kit that are reliable they are all about the same. It is really about replacing the parts that will fail and just doing preventative maintenance. There are many posts and threads on this site that you can help you. Just use the search function to find them.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Hello, my name is Tony and Im a poor college student I was really surprised when I accidently found this forum!!! I been thinking of building a motorized bike since my drivers license has been expired for a year and I can't renew it because there is a 6k hold on it!!! and Im nowhere near getting it back!!! .
Hi Tony
just so you don't get into a deeper hole you should know that these
motorized bikes in CA require a valid drivers license with an M2, DOT
helmet and a one time $19 license plate.
Electric bikes are the only ones that don't need a license in CA.

You may be able to get away with riding one in El Centro as most
cops don't know the laws.......

Last edited:

gateinstaller

Jun 9, 2011
Valley Center
I'm new here but here is California law right from there site
Motorized Bicycles

There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:

A two- or three-wheeled device, capableofnomorethan30mphon level ground, and equipped with:
Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.
An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406[a])
A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406)
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

Must be 16 years of age or older.
Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements. (CVC §12804.9)
You may ride a moped in a bicycle laneatareasonablespeed.Becareful of bicyclists using the lane..flg.

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Motorized Bicycles

There are two definitions of motorized bicycle (moped). A motorized bicycle is:

A two- or three-wheeled device, capableofnomorethan30mphon level ground, and equipped with:
Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.
A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion. (CVC §406[a])
A vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. (CVC §406)
If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406 b, you:

Must be 16 years of age or older.
Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements. (CVC §12804.9)

You may ride a moped in a bicycle laneatareasonablespeed.Becareful of bicyclists using the lane.

The part in RED is only about electric bikes.
It does not apply to Gas Bikes which are section 406 (a)

So it means that electric bikes Are exempt from driver license, and moped plate requirements that
are required for gas powered motorized bikes.

Everything I said in the first post is correct whether you like it or not.

Oh and welcome to the forum.

Where is Valley Center?

Last edited:

MotorBicycleRacing

Jul 28, 2010
SoCal Baby!!!
www.facebook.com
Motorized Bicycles.
Motorcycles, Mopeds and Scooters Defined

The DMV website is not written very clearly and has outdated laws
and fees but from the link above.

The $18 license plate fee is now $19

A "motorized bicycle" or "moped" is:

(CVC §406(a))

A two or three-wheeled device, capable of no more than 30 mph on level ground, and equipped with:

– Fully operative pedals for human propulsion.

– A motor producing less than two gross brake horsepower and an automatic transmission.

– An electric motor, with or without pedals for human propulsion.

Driver must have a motorcycle license (M1 or M2).

A motorized bicycle is issued special license plates and identification cards, which requires a one-time $18 fee. No renewal is required.

==================================================
(CVC §406(b))

A “motorized bicycle” is also defined as a vehicle with pedals and an electric motor (not more than 1,000 watts) which cannot be driven at speeds of more than 20 mph on level ground even if assisted by human power. .

If you operate a motorized bicycle which meets the definition of CVC §406(b), you:

– Must be 16 years of age or older.
– Must wear a properly fitted and fastened bicycle helmet.
– Are exempt from the motor vehicle financial responsibility, driver license, and moped plate requirements (CVC §12804.9).

Last edited:

Ernst

May 28, 2011
Turlock Ca
Well, I believe the fellahs about CA Law. However 14 miles isn't all that far and maybe your local po-po has MaBs on low priority as is the case around here.
Several MaBs I know here ride without a plate or license. Maybe you can get by or have your licence approved by a Judge.

With MaB it's about finding a way. It's a bicycle after all.

Good luck. One friend here rides several days a week more than 14 one way to report in for his legal issues. He welded highway pegs and has increased the speed of his bike with a smaller sprocket.

So.. Need an M2 and plate.. but will you local po-po flip their wig?

I'm going to get mine soon but I did ride 725 miles across three counties and didn't have one traffic stop.

Oh and it is about hands on repairs and maintenance so be ready for that as well.

Last edited: