Is it worth it?

GoldenMotor.com

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
I'm not that familiar with Western Flyer bikes, but say it was a Schwinn or Elgin, Colson... in that condition I suppose it would be worth the $500.00. If you were to restore one and had to buy the fenders, find a chain guard, re chrome the handlebars, etc. it adds up fast. That one is for a collector. It would be a shame to put a motor on it in that condition. But I can sure see it with a motor... one in rougher condition and brought back to life as a motorbike. Old mens' cruisers are pricey, but they sure are nice.
SB

Kevlarr

Jul 22, 2009
Mi
One problem with that "all original" bike, bikes didn't come with spoke reflectors until the 70's, and the rear reflectors were on the fenders or at least made into the rack not held on with brackets. Also I've never seen a 50's bike with a front reflector.

That's a nice restoration but not original.

bairdco

a guy who makes cool bikes
Aug 18, 2009
living the dream in southern california
kevlarr beat me to it. the rflectors give it away. that bike looks like one of the re-pops they made in the late 90's. without more pictures, i can't be sure.

funny thing about the reproductions, though. they're still great bikes, mostly made in america, and cost about a grand when they came out. and they still get about a grand when re-sold.

but, i think you're better off finding a rusty old bike for cheap and fixin' it up yerself.

Sidecar

May 28, 2010
Tn.
That price is out of my league at this time. However, I found this one tonight at an auction that I got for $140.00. A little more than I wanted to pay, but hey ya only live once.

Sidecar

silverbear

The Boy Who Never Grew Up
Jul 9, 2009
northeastern Minnesota
You guys have better eyesight than I do. I guess that's why it was one picture at a distance. It's like "antiques" I've seen with Phillips head screws. Dead give away. My brother has an antique shop and says you can generally date a lot of things by the hardware used, construction technique and on old furniture by the width of the boards. Buyer beware.
SB

Biker Dalton

Aug 29, 2010
Jersey Shore
hi all, one of my family members work for a cop shop here in jersey and they sell stolen/seized bikes every year...I use to pass them up all the time, but now I'm hooked on these motor bikes...this year I'm going to go and see. what they got...to boot I get first crack.