MotorBicycling Newbie

GoldenMotor.com

hojo70

Jun 3, 2008
Hey guys, finally built my first kit bike from a Trek 850 Mountain Track. I ended up buying the black Power Kings 80cc special off Ebay for $119.00. I have to admit for that price I was very skeptical what I would get! But since it was pretty cheap I figured I didn't have much to lose buy trying.

The kit arrived in a week or so. I've heard others say how bad the Chinese-made manuals were, but I have to say that mine was pretty good. Everything was packed well and new, and the whole thing only took 3.5 hours to put together. The hardest part was getting the sprocket mounted straight on the outside of the wheel hub. I had no idea how primitive that design was, but it does seem to work OK.

The only post-build issues I had were with the chain (the tensioner was missing a washer) and didn't align just right. Also, the kill switch was short circuited. I took the switch apart and seperated the wires which had been crushed a little too tight in the switch compartment. It worked fine after that. Also, the crappy 2 foot tall Chinese spark plug they sent didn't allow me enough clearance with the top bar of the frame, so I bought a lower profile Champion CJ7Y and everything fit.

The engine started RIGHT up, and off I went. I've got about 25-30 miles on the bike right now and it runs very well. My only chief complaint with the thing is how LOUD it is. I mean you can hear me coming and going a mile away! Has anyone come up with an after market exhaust mod to quiet the thing down??

Other than that, thanks Power Kings!

John (^)

techboss

May 8, 2008
Yes these things are LOUD. LOUD means power :). I have one of PK kits as well. Did not get it when they had the black one. So far I have taken this machine to go over 350KM.

hojo70

Jun 3, 2008
sounds like you got a good deal, the black 80cc engine kit from powerkingshop is going for $199 +50 shipping now...

lets see some pics!
Here's my rig. Nothing you havent seen before I am sure. There are gear/brake cables that run down the back of the top frame tube, so I just mounted the fuel tank on the rack and leveled it out a little with a 2x4.

I guess you are right, in hindsight $119 does seem like a really good deal after I looked back at what they normally sell for.

BTW- Here's the bargain I got in on.

NEW BLACK 80cc Motor Bicycle Engine Kit Bike Gas Kits - eBay (item 260245047846 end time Jun-04-08 14:45:30 PDT)

Here's my OTHER 2 wheeled ride!!
'98 Honda Valkyrie 1520cc (6 cylinder)