Offroad bikes, there seems to be a lack

GoldenMotor.com

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
Offroading... the usual problem with this is that the chain hits the chain stays on the frame. I see there are 2 ways of resolving this, design a frame that the chain would not hit the chain stays, or use an internal gear hub, so a derailer is not required. what do you think?
I find the best way to avoid the chain slapping is to use a road rear mech. They tend to use a tighter spring and with them being a shorter lever don't allow the weight of the chain to make them recoil. I usually use a shimano ultegra or tiagra or even a sora if I need to go cheap. If that is not an option I will build up a layer of old inner tube at the contact point on the frame.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
lizard skins!
(for your chainstays)
LIZARD SKINS | CHAINSTAYS

the beachies might have comort and style, but can they dirtbike whoop wheelie the sidewalk driveway dips?
coming home this morning i got real tempted to take a city whoop and air it.... but i figured i wouldnt being as i havnt even ran a liter of fuel through it yet or worked out the various little tightening issues lol

pics of my new "winter tires" up this afternoon ;)

Last edited:

pedro5189

Jan 21, 2008
England
lizard skins!
(for your chainstays)
LIZARD SKINS | CHAINSTAYS

the beachies might have comort and style, but can they dirtbike whoop wheelie the sidewalk driveway dips?
coming home this morning i got real tempted to take a city whoop and air it.... but i figured i wouldnt being as i havnt even ran a liter of fuel through it yet or worked out the various little tightening issues lol

pics of my new "winter tires" up this afternoon ;)
Haha naughty naughty, the 5-0 will be breathing down your neck soon

Have you any pictures of your ride or a build spec? a link preferably

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
when i was talkin whoop wheelie's.... that iron horse would be the cats arse. lol
FTR, i ride wearing a full face dirtbike helment. that was my only foray onto the sidewalk ever. my hands were so numb i could care less lol

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
I offroad a lil different, more distance and exploration than wheelies and whoops - though those do tend to happen from time to time lol

I really do need to get a better wheelset before playin' that game anyway :(

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
i can appreciate that buddy! you see i know what maine is like, since i grew up in nova scotia. Here in ontario the best exploration i could get is a "protected" forest full of dirtbike and atv enthusiasts tearing the trails up like maniacs. i cant just find any old logging road to explore anymore :(

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
lol - I think we've a case of "the grass is always greener" - I'd love a few trails "groomed" by atvs and dirtbikes, banked turns and whoops! I'm right on the coast and the trails here are so gnarly even the dirtbikes need crawl along. I'd need to go inland a bit to find logging roads (I have - they're ossum, but far), even our powerline trails tend to suddenly end with a granite cliff/the intrusive ocean ;)

Next time I head out for the bumps & muck, I'll bring my camera... I usually fear smashing it but it's so cold out I'll be takin' it easy and avoiding the water.

Humsuckler

Jul 28, 2009
Ontario
word of the wise my friend, when you bring that cold digi back in the warm house, dont go turning it on or fiddling with it untill its warmed up for at least an hour!

BarelyAWake

Jul 21, 2009
Maine
yus - condensation makes for a cranky cam ;)

I have been there bfore, but thanks fer lookin' out for me - who knows, maybe you just saved someone else's camera?

I do have a coupla those 'MiniPax' absorbent packs in it's case for just that problem :D Tho I'll prolly leave it home for this, I do the same with my netbook that follows me around everywhere.

Last edited: