Hello from Arizona

GoldenMotor.com

Transportation

Oct 8, 2016
Gilbert AZ
Hello, I used to live in the greater phoenix area, but I had to go back to my home country South Korea to do mandatory military service for 3 years.
I came back to Arizona two months ago to finish school at ASU.

I used to ride a Honda Shadow around, but i thought it's about time to grow out of motorcycles since it's so dangerous. I should seriously sell this peace of trouble. I found out what happens to me when I get hospitalized in the Korea army.

I'm planning on building/buying a nice 4 stroke bike lane legal motorized pedal cycle to get around economically. So I registered to this forum to snoop around to get ideas and see if there's any good deals.

Thanks for reading.

Attachments

Greg58

May 1, 2011
Newnan,Georgia
Welcome to the forum, we have several members from Arizona so maybe some will respond and give some advice on what is and is not legal.

Dave31

Mar 1, 2008
Aztlán, Arizona
Welcome to the forum from Tucson.

I used to keep up with the laws but I have not in a long time. Arizona follows the federal law of motorized bicycle which is basically 48cc or under, 20 mph and under and you are good to go.

But many cities up North of Tucson adopt their own city ordinance for motorized bicycles.

From the quick search I did I believe Gilbert uses the moped law, but don't take my word on it. You will have to do your own research or hopefully someone on the forum knows the laws.

Here is the only info I found https://www.gilbertaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=2734

Transportation

Oct 8, 2016
Gilbert AZ
Welcome to the forum from Tucson.

I used to keep up with the laws but I have not in a long time. Arizona follows the federal law of motorized bicycle which is basically 48cc or under, 20 mph and under and you are good to go.

But many cities up North of Tucson adopt their own city ordinance for motorized bicycles.

From the quick search I did I believe Gilbert uses the moped law, but don't take my word on it. You will have to do your own research or hopefully someone on the forum knows the laws.

Here is the only info I found https://www.gilbertaz.gov/home/showdocument?id=2734
Thanks for the info!

I have a license for a motorcycle, so I suppose if local law enforcements are so worked up about mopeds, then I could register it and get a plate for it and just stay to the right.

Hope someone bites my Shadow on craigslist so I can get some money and use it to create/buy a MAB

James5150

Oct 14, 2016
Arizona
Hey Transportation. I'm just getting back into riding again. If you are going to ASU then I live less than three miles from you. Baseline and Kyrene. I'm going to be building a bike soon. Old one is gone. I'm looking to see what new stuff has come out. Not sure if I'm going two stroke or four. As far as the laws. A few years ago I talked with a police officer he said 50cc or less.no license needed. There are bikes running all over Tempe. Just had a guy zip by me on the sidewalk this morning. I suggest staying off the side walks your asking for trouble. Keep in touch. James

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
I'm planning on building/buying a nice 4 stroke bike lane legal motorized pedal cycle to get around economically.
Hi Transport, welcome back.
I build some cool 4-stroke shifting bikes here in Phoenix you might be interest in.

They are 1cc over legal (49cc) and can do well over twice the legal 20mph speed limit, but what the heck, you can still ride one in the bike lane without tags and such.

They are all custom built to order in any color and texture powder coat you want, and several other options.
They are all over $1,000 and take 2-3 weeks to build but the coolest, safest MB you will find right here in town if you can afford one ;-}

Transportation

Oct 8, 2016
Gilbert AZ
They are all custom built to order in any color and texture powder coat you want, and several other options.
They are all over $1,000 and take 2-3 weeks to build but the coolest, safest MB you will find right here in town if you can afford one ;-}
Awesome, I just sold my shadow yesterday. I really like the black bike, but i also like the triple tree on the red one. How much over $1000 is it? could i get a ball park price? Thanks

KCvale

Feb 28, 2010
Phoenix,AZ
Awesome, I just sold my shadow yesterday. I really like the black bike, but i also like the triple tree on the red one. How much over $1000 is it? could i get a ball park price? Thanks
This is my all stock base build for $1350.
http://kcsbikes.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=970

Any color (and texture) you want of course.
When I say 'stock' as in what I always do, it is a bit above most builders standards.

Beside the custom cable matching and better air cleaner I include, I even maintain the Fito's leather covered form grips for example.

It doesn't sound like much, but you sure feel the difference when you ride ;-}

Last edited: